Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/30/2003 9:40:19 PM EDT
I've got a Sig P226 I want to trade for, but am not as familiar with them as I am other firearms.

Overall, the gun looks good. And with the mags looks like a fair deal.

It has the old style grips, but at 97-97% condition.

I've seen brand new ones for mid $600 range, but am not worried about losing a little bit of "equity" out of buying a used gun, as long as it is in good shape and worth it.

So basicly I'm asking if there's anything I need to look for so I don't end up getting a 20 year old police trade in worth $400?
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 9:58:12 PM EDT
[#1]
A 20 year old police trade in would look like hell.  Constant holster wear and bumping into door jams in buildings and cars plays hell with duty guns.  Although, since they are seldom shot, they tend to be dirty but in EXCELLENT condition internally.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 10:07:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Apparently there's this big deal over Sigs made in W. Germany.  They make them here also.  I have a W. German Sig P226 in 9mm.  I've shot one box of shells through it since I got it new, 7 years ago.  I love the pistol but my 1911 SA takes up all my pistol time.  Some guy was dying to buy the 226 off of me last year.  He actually offered me $700!!!  I know I was stupid for not taking it but I am not a seller.  I have sold one gun all of my life and I made $900 on the deal.  A guy traded me a NIB Fender Hot Rod amp and a NIB Line6 FlexTone 2x12 amp for a Rem 760 pump in 30-06.  Sold both amps after I got my kix from them.

Anyhoo, Sigs are great and top of the line.  As with any you'll have the anti-Sig crowd, of course the Glock worshipers, Then I'm sure somebody will bring up the Beretta M9/Sig 226 controversy.

Basically look at the finish for holster wear.  Strip the pistol down and check for worn parts.  Does it have standard cap factory mags?  They are pricey and could sweeten the deal.  Police trades are really not a bad deal as the gun is rarely used and if it was kept clean who cares about holster wear?  
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 5:53:51 AM EDT
[#3]

Thanks for the input guys, I got some more info on it.

Turns out it is an 87 model. Would it still be worth aprox $600-$650 if in 97-98% condition?
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:28:12 AM EDT
[#4]
You could get a new one for close to that. There is currently a wierd spike in P220 and P226 sales for used prices, but it won't last. SIG is rolling out the new models of the P220, P226 and soon, the P229, with integral rails, and the price of used, pre-rail SIGs is going to drop like a rock by the fall.

Talk him down to the $4-500 range, or wait a few months for the prices to fall. SIGs are great weapon, but I wouldn't pay that much for a used P226. Heck, the only reason I am going to pay about $500 for my well-used P220 is because it is my issued tactical pistol that I have carried for years, and it has sentimental value.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:55:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You could get a new one for close to that. There is currently a wierd spike in P220 and P226 sales for used prices, but it won't last. SIG is rolling out the new models of the P220, P226 and soon, the P229, with integral rails, and the price of used, pre-rail SIGs is going to drop like a rock by the fall.

View Quote
SNIP

Is that spike you're talking about due to the West German Manu. or what?
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:56:43 AM EDT
[#6]
I agree with Natez, $600-650 is way too high for a used P226.

$500 would be ok for a P226 in great condition with 2 hi caps(pre-ban), $450 would be a good deal.

I still think the P226 is the best 9mm on the market.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 7:02:57 AM EDT
[#7]
look for a sig in .357sig/.40, you can get a sig  made 9MM conversion barrel for it.

the 9MM cannot be adapted to .40/.357sig.

I have the Sig 226 in 9MM.. found out to late ;)  great gun. i have the lasergrips for it. very nice, easy activation. sig fits perfect, the HK/Glocks don't to square of a grip, sig is rounded off nicely.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 7:07:05 AM EDT
[#8]
3 months ago i bought a 226 with 2 hi-caps and a 10 rounder (2 of the mags were unused, the pistol is in very good condition with some finish/holster wear at the front of the slide) for $400. it came with the original box and paperwork.

15-round sig factory mags have cost me $36 to $39 for used/excellent condition.

Link Posted: 5/31/2003 8:03:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Is that spike you're talking about due to the West German Manu. or what?
View Quote

Not sure, that's just what our area SIG rep told me last week. Our Department owns a veritable boatload of SIGs, and we talk with our reps pretty frequently as we upgrade our fleet and look for new weapons. Prices on used P220s and P226s are up right now,but will probably plummet in the fall. SIG is rolling out the P220R (rail) and P226R, with the P229R coming in the fall, and their is intense LE interest in trading out whole fleets of SIG duty pistols for the new rail models. The rail models will have a better finish (K-Kote rusts like a dog), and PDs are finally deciding that tac lights aren't just for SWAT guys. By this time next year, the market will likely be absolutely flooded with used PD trade-in SIGs. PD SIGs are also supposed to have a complete spring changeover about every 4-5 years, at a cost of 100-150 per weapon (SIG parts get pricey; I buy them and I know). With some of the fleet deals, it may be cheaper for a PD to trade in their used SIGs for new ones than it is to do a maintenance cycle.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 9:14:16 AM EDT
[#10]
natez,

Thanks for the update...I'm starting to look for a Stainless P220 with the new rail.  I've seen some rust on my older W German P220 so I decided the have the slide refinished by Tripp Research in Matte Chrome while I wait for the market to stabilize.

You must look at the new [url]www.Act-Mag.com[/url] 8 rounder mags (and the 1911's) They are stunning.  Actually almost to nice to use.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 12:39:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
... Turns out it is an 87 model. ...
View Quote

As in 1987, no doubt.  Presumably in has either  “Herndon Virginia” or “Chantilly Virginia” on the slide.

Sig 226’s of that vintage had an occasional problem with frame rail cracking.  The best way to determine if this one has that problem is to remove the locking insert, which is rather involved, and inspect the inside of the frame.

If you can’t do this, at an absolute minimum you should remove the slide and look [b]closely[/b] for any longitudinal cracks along the frame rails in the vicinity of the slide’s ejection port – especially on the right side.

These cracks are hard to see.  The firearm will function with these cracks, however, these cracks will grow!

Incidentally, you can also get an idea of a 226’s age – assuming the slide is original – by the proof marks along the bottom of the slide near the muzzle.

Sig finishes of that era were notoriously poor.  The fact that this one has a good finish means it was used little or has been refinished.

Further, when looking for wear, check the two lugs along the bottom of the barrel (one is the feed ramp and one is a cam that locks the barrel into the slide when in battery.  These get beat up pretty easily so at least some wear is almost guaranteed.

Also look at the hammer – the slide will quickly wear a small groove in the top, front edge of it.

Personally I wouldn’t get a 226 this old unless you’re getting a really good price for it, which you aren't.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 5:44:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the input guys. Helped me out quite a bit. I decided to pass on the deal. Realy, for the price of them new, I'd just as soon hold out for a new or like new model.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top