Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2001 8:23:51 AM EDT
I just saw Century Arms L1 A1 on an Imbel receiver for $539.00.

Please talk me out of it.

I already know what I want to do but....

1. Is this a decent price?

2. What should I look for?

3. It probably is a parts rifle built on the new Imbel receiver, correct?
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 8:27:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I think you can find them for under $500 if you look around.....
-bricklayer
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 8:30:42 AM EDT
[#2]
There have been some serious problems reported with Century L1A1s. Take a look over at [url]http://www.l1a1.com/cgi-bin/forums/ultimatebb.cgi[/url] for specifics. Shoddy workmanship seems to be the chief complaint.

Link Posted: 9/21/2001 8:59:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
There have been some serious problems reported with Century L1A1s. Take a look over at [url]http://www.l1a1.com/cgi-bin/forums/ultimatebb.cgi[/url] for specifics. Shoddy workmanship seems to be the chief complaint.

View Quote

Some of the Century L1A1s, had improper headspacing. Mine did, had it properly headspaced and it now works like it should. [:D]

Another area to look out for, are the gas piston. Some were of inferior quality and would bend. Mine was fine, but if you get one of the bad ones... a good US made gas piston can be purchased for about $20

I refinished my CAI/Imbel and it is pretty sharp looking now.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 9:20:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, the Century guns can be a crap shoot, but if you get a good one, $500 is a bargin for a shooter. They are in the $420+ range in SGNs. It is worth the extra money to be physically able to check it out.

Another area to check. (real) L1A1s are inch guns. Metric mags will work, but may not lock tightly in place. Check fit and function of both types of mags, as metric mags are more available and cheaper. L1A1s have their bolt hold open pins demilled. An STG58 part, available from DSA, easily retrofits. A true L1A1 also has sand cuts on the bolt, and a folding cocking handle (which is MUCH better than the STG58 knob, IMO).

Check the gas system components. Does it operate smoothly, wear, etc. if you can, have your dealer break the gun down for you. My  century L1A1 was a bitch to open until I cleaned it up.

A word of warning, if you buy this gun and like it, expect to see a DSA (or comparable quality smith-built FAL) in your safe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top