Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2005 8:36:24 AM EDT
This is post antibiotic treatment. This showed up on my Brother's leg Sunday as what looked like a small mosquito bite, and then rapidly expanded. He was in the ER yesterday and they gave him antibiotics. This is from this morning.

Any thoughts?

He lives in New York City and was in the park on Sunday.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:37:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Unless he's highly allergic to mosquitoes, I'd say it's something else.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:38:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd say no
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:39:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I"m not a doctor, but I've received first aid training; the red line running up his thigh is not a good sign.  It might be a skin reaction from the bite, but marks like that can be a sign of spreading infection and he should consult a doctor again if it's gotten worse since his trip to the ER.  Was the red line present when the ER doc saw him? did they take a blood test?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:39:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I have had the misfortune of being bitten by both a Brown Recluse (age 12) and a Black Widow (this summer).  To me, that resembles a Black Widow bite more than a Brown Recluse.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:40:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Cripes!  Aputate now!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:40:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I dont like that red line going from the bite site up his leg.. Get him BACK TO THE ER NOW!

Something got him good. May be a spider bite.. but regardless, its not getting better.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:41:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Just looks like a big ol' infection... could be a bite, could be a hair follicle, who knows?

I'd stick to antibiotics and rub on some clearisil (sp?) zit cream... the kind you are just supposed to dab onto a zit...   yeah, smother that on there.   If you don't see the redness easing up overnight with that zit stuff, you've got a problem.

(I had quite a few things that looked like that when I had Lyme disease)

- BG
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:41:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Not only does it look like a recluse bite, it looks like he had a hell of a reaction to it.  I am not a doctor nor do I play one on TV however it appears he also has, at the minimum an inection called Cellulitis ( sp ? ).  That's an infection of the layer of fattie tissue between the skin and the musculature. Infections, necrotic, septic and otherwise can be additional symptoms of a recluse bite. Hope he got a heavy dose of antibiotics!!!  Good luck to him!!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:41:23 AM EDT
[#9]
If its responding to antibiotics its probably more like an infected bite/puncture wound.

Antibiotics do nothing against spider bite toxins -- but may be administered to help prevent infection.

Hard to say what it is -- but whatever it is, I don't want one like it

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:41:40 AM EDT
[#10]
USALLY - Brown recluse bites will start to turn black at the core (where the bite happened) But with the spread in that picture - it was something poisonious -
I did a long study on bites for a school project - Where do you live and what was he doing ?

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:42:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Yeah...that doesn't look good...get him back to the ER.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:43:05 AM EDT
[#12]
No.  I have been there done that and I had a thread about it 4 months ago.

Anti-biotics will not help a BR bite, only prevent it from getting infected.  Based on those pics the bite looks exactly what I had which was a staph infection.  The red streaks is the bacterial infection spreading up your lymph system.

Monitor the redness closely if it enlarges send him back to the MD ASAP
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:46:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Can I have his guns?

Get him back to the doctor.  Don't wait.  Probably don't need an ER visit, but maybe...
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:47:05 AM EDT
[#14]
No matter what kind of spider/bug bite it is this product will fix ya right up: www.pascalite.com/About%20Pascalite.htm.

And yes I have been bitten by the recluse several times and used this product to avoid a trip to the doctor, (who if he treats it with the wrong antibiotic can seriously endanger your life, as happen to me the first time I had a recluse run in, resulting in a very bad staff infection)

Mix this powder with a little H2O, make a paste, apply as a poltice, keep it damp, you'll see results in as little as 24-48 hours.

This product should be in any serious survivalist's BOB.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:47:50 AM EDT
[#15]
You will literally be able to monitor that infection by the hour....if it keeps creeping, he should go back for a checkup even though he has already been dosed with antibiotics
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:48:17 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
You will literally be able to monitor that infection by the hour....if it keeps creeping, he should go back for a checkup even though he has already been dosed with antibiotics

Yep
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:49:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Antibiotics cannot help with the spider venom, but should help with cellulitis.  It looks like it could indeed be a spider bite.  The surrounding area of pink/red looks like a minor cellulitis. I don't know what it looked like last night, but if it is continuing to worsen, he should see a doctor again.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:51:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Is your brother diabetic??

I ask because diabetics usually have a harder time with cellulitis.  The cellulitis itself is not caused by spider venom, but rather a bacteria introduced by the puncture wound (usually a staphylococcal species)
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:52:18 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Is your brother diabetic??

No he is in good health otherwise.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:54:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Does it look worse than yesterday? Does he have a fever or anything that makes him look "sick"?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:02:34 AM EDT
[#21]
It looks slightly worse than yesterday however he reported that the pain has reduced since treatment with IV antibiotics. I believe he had a mild fever yesterday and some feeling of sickness, which he also said haver educed today. Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:04:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Outline the infection, if it gets bigger then you need to go back to the Doc.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:06:38 AM EDT
[#23]
That's what I was about to say.  Outline the edges of redness with a marker.  If it gets worse, you can show the doc how much it has spread.  Record the time when you outlined it, so you can tell how fast it spreads (if it's spreading).
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:09:07 AM EDT
[#24]
A friend of mine was bitten by a Brown Recluse last year....It is very serious! He has had three surgeries to his hand and arm, and is due for  fourth this X-mas....I WOULD NOT WAIT

Sean
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:15:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Irish,

That sucks for your friend! 90% of brown recluse bites in otherwise healthy people heal just fine and don't require surgical intervention. I have known one person who did also end up needing surgery. Fortunately this isn't the norm.

That said if it looks worse, I would see a doc again to be on the safe side.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:22:52 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
A friend of mine was bitten by a Brown Recluse last year....It is very serious! He has had three surgeries to his hand and arm, and is due for  fourth this X-mas....I WOULD NOT WAIT

Sean

As I noted above, first time I was bitten, doc shot me up w/ pennicillin, within 24 hours I was back in the hospital for more than 2 weeks with a massive staff infection. I got a gamagobulim (sp.) shot ever 4 hours for more than 2 weeks, lost 28 pounds and ended up in surgery as they said the posion was eating away at the bone marrow of my elbow (where I was bitten). Still have a nasty scar there today more than 20+ years later.

As I backpack and camp regularly I have been bitten by spiders on more than one occassion since then, the first time I knew within 2 days I was in trouble again but lucked out and ran into a woman who knew of the product I posted above, bad bite was gone within a week, no doctors, no hospital & no butt looking like a pin-cushion.

Pascalite works, especially on cases like this, I stock pounds of it, and brush my teeth with it too.

It's cheap, keeps forever if properly stored and works on every thing from sun-burn to bullet wounds.

Try it and see for yourself, you'll find I ain't BSing ya.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:30:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Looks like a couple scratches beside the puncture.  Tetanus?  Rusty nail?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:34:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Chances are he got a tetanus shot in the ER last night if his was out of date.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:40:05 AM EDT
[#29]
I've got a good friend that got bit 4 times by BR on the arm and center mass.  BR bites kill the surrounding flesh.  That pic looks prefect compared to a BR bite.  Link to info on BR http://www.emedicine.com/EMERG/topic547.htm.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:41:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Don't listen to the knuckle heads on this board! neither rely on the ER for first rate treatment. He should see a doctor. Also use google to check out about the various bites and their symptoms. "red striations" on the skin as can be seen are not a good sign not at all.
Only thing in his favor is that it happened in central park in NYC. Black widows are probaly not up that far north. though brown recluse is a possability. But that park is "artificial" and they always use pesticides etc. so it might just be a bee sting or something. My dad was bitten by a brown recluse and it "necrotised" his muscle!! He still has the scar 15 years later. So dont sit on this, do something about it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:47:59 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Chances are he got a tetanus shot in the ER last night if his was out of date.

Good call LattimerII, they did give him a tetanus shot as well.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:58:15 AM EDT
[#32]
The pictures on the link provided by stupidfly demonstrate a worst case scenario.  That about ties the worst case I've seen.  I'm not trying to downplay anything. Recluse bites can and occasionally do get as bad as those photos, but most of them do not.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:04:43 AM EDT
[#33]
I have nothing to add here, just a general observation. If that was a woman's leg how many post would have asked for a pics that was a little more "north"? So where are all the ladies or the gheys looking for more northward pics . Just curious and I'm not interested in seeing more northward pics.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:06:48 AM EDT
[#34]
t-stox is also correct. I wouldn't consider advice on Ar15.com to be a replacement for actual medical attention.

I'm giving my best advice based on one picture veiwed over the internet, but that shouldn't be a substitute for seeing a doc in person if you are really worried.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:23:41 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
t-stox is also correct. I wouldn't consider advice on Ar15.com to be a replacement for actual medical attention.

I'm giving my best advice based on one picture veiwed over the internet, but that shouldn't be a substitute for seeing a doc in person if you are really worried.

I linked him to this thread and he went and scheduled a Doctor's Appointment and should be on his way there right now. Thanks guys for your advice.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:33:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Cool, he should be ok.  He'll still probably feel a lot better about it if he goes to the doctor.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:52:16 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I have nothing to add here, just a general observation. If that was a woman's leg how many post would have asked for a pics that was a little more "north"? So where are all the ladies or the gheys looking for more northward pics . Just curious and I'm not interested in seeing more northward pics.

Come one, you have to know that no matter how much you deny it in your post that you are now labled as ghey.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:43:21 PM EDT
[#38]
The doctor switched him to a braoder spectrum antibiotic and took blood to send to a toxology lab. He does believe it is some sort of spider bite and said that the red band is dangerous and that it was extremely good that he came back in. I'll keep you all posted.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:44:45 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I dont like that red line going from the bite site up his leg.. Get him BACK TO THE ER NOW!

Something got him good. May be a spider bite.. but regardless, its not getting better.

+1, that looks like it's going to get worse if it's not handled ASAP
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:50:06 PM EDT
[#40]
tagged for updates

Hope everything turns out all right.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:52:26 PM EDT
[#41]
It looks messed up but the brown recluse is not native to the north, so I would say no, unless the park he was in is in the south.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:45:03 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Come one, you have to know that no matter how much you deny it in your post that you are now labled as ghey.

Damn I outed myself
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top