Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2004 1:26:42 PM EDT
I have a 1986 Chevorlet Beauville and i cant see getting the Engine out in one peice has anyone else done this? How did you get it out? Its a 350 5.7L. If anyone is serious and thinks they know i can get photos.
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 1:41:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 1:42:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
What's a Beauville?

Its a full size van chevy makes its one of those thinks like a bus its seats 15 people
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 1:42:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What's a Beauville?

I think it's a van.
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 1:46:25 PM EDT
[#4]
If it's a van, you have to remove the entire front grill, radiator, A/C condensor, etc. Use an engine lift to support it & remove the bolts to the transmission & remove the motor mounts. Disconnect all hoses & exhaust & you slide that sumbitch right out the front end.

Start to finish will be about 4 hours for a shadetree mechanic.
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 2:13:29 PM EDT
[#5]
It went in in one piece, it will come out in one piece.  Since you've never done this I would reserve the whole day. This is why I hate working on vans.

Link Posted: 5/2/2004 2:33:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If it's a van, you have to remove the entire front grill, radiator, A/C condensor, etc. Use an engine lift to support it & remove the bolts to the transmission & remove the motor mounts. Disconnect all hoses & exhaust & you slide that sumbitch right out the front end.

Start to finish will be about 4 hours for a shadetree mechanic.

Did you do this in the past? or is this just your it ought to. Where do i hook the hoist i have an A-FRAME where do i hoist it from just let it sit agianst the front and bend it all? it seems if you take the carb+Aircleaner off it might just squeeze.
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 2:42:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
What's a Beauville?

Otherwise known as Chevy G20 (fullsized) van.

Looks kinda like this:

PS: Says the manual: Warning! Removing the engine will result in extremely slow vehicle speed!, so you may want to reconsider that ;)
If you need any diagrams or other information, I can scan it for you, but I recommend buying a Haynes/Chiltons manual.
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 3:04:13 PM EDT
[#8]
It looks sorta like that Same style hood how does it recomend taking the engine out where the driver door the back door with a sawsall or bottom or front. Or maybe i should take a visit to advanced auto and take the plastic off the manual (BTW im realy cheap)
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 3:09:45 PM EDT
[#9]
You're gonna need a cherry picker type of engine hoist and a lot of  band-aids
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 3:45:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 12:49:33 PM EDT
[#11]
btt
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 1:33:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Courtesy Mitchell on Demand and Expert Tire, Marshall. Texas :)

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 6:28:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah man thats awsome I owe you one man. Have to foward to my dad an we will take it out. Thats Great.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:48:30 AM EDT
[#14]
it does come out the front as stated, but i would love to see someone do it right in 4 hours, they must be one heck of a wrench to do that, plan on a day
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:53:34 AM EDT
[#15]
my book says it will take 10.5 hours to remove and reinstall, u guess i was wrong about the times
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:07:44 AM EDT
[#16]
I dunno where you guys got the 4 hours from, but that would be the time for professionals with access to professional equipment, to wit, a king-sized hydraulic lift and pneumatic tools.

Also, be advised that GM uses a diverse assortment of American and Metric bolts and nuts in different shapes and grades! Have both Standard and Metric tools at hand! Make sure the hardware store is opened when you try to re-assemble things because you /will/ round some hex heads, or drill out a few Philips, and the cats will run away with the rest.

PS: Make sure a buddy has a video camera running, you could make millions!
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:59:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Tannerite.

If you do get a Chiltons and it advertises full wiring and other diagrams on the shrink wrap,  open it and make sure it has what you need.

Mine had that comment on the wrapper and then inside it had a nice note, "Wiring and other diagrams not included to reduce size of manual"  and I got it for the wiring diagrams.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top