Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/5/2005 5:07:43 AM EDT
I thought I'd share my methodology on how to format your hard drive, since it's worked very well for me over the years.

The biggest problem we encounter on our systems is the sometimes necessary HDD reformat. Windows crapped out, virus, you name it - we've all had to do it. The problem, of course, is what do we do with our personal data? This is where my suggestion comes in.

I partition all my HDDs such that there's at least one partition for my personal data. On my 100GB, I've got 20GB for programs on the C: drive, 10GB on D: for personal data, and 70GB on E: as a video scratch disk.

All my programs are installed on the C: drive as usual. ANY personal data is stored on D:, NOT in the "My Documents" folder. This has two imediate benefits:
1) Backup is real easy. Anything on the D: drive gets written on a DVD+RW.
2) Formatting the C: drive and reinstalling Windows does not affect your personal data. Once you reinstall Windows and all the Apps, you're up and running again.

I highly recommend this method to make your life a lot easier. Partitioning is easy when you first format your HDD. If you have a pre-loaded system, you'll have to use a program like Partition Magic to repartition with data already on the HDD. I did the latter method on my laptop.

Anyway - just thought I'd share this since it's worked well for me.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:35:16 AM EDT
I thought I'd share my tips for partitioning a *NIX stye hard drive.

If its a home system, make 1 huge partition for everything. You may also want a swap partition depending on how much memory you have. If you have 128MB of RAM or under, I suggest a swap partition of at least 128MB. If you aren't running graphical stuff, then you might get away without swap if you have at least 128MB of RAM. Basically, RAM = swap size. Why not more? Because if you start to use that much swap in a home system chances are you aren't going to wait for the disk thrashing to finish and you'll just reboot. You also might consider /boot as the very first partition if you are using an old computer in conjunction with an old boot loader.

For servers though, it gets more complicated. Typically, swap should be 2x as large as your RAM. I usually divide up the partitions as follows...
/ - Shared with /etc, /usr, whatever is left
/var - Because this partiton is very active and is vulnerable to data loss
/tmp - Very active and very vulnerable to data loss. A variable length RAM Disk such as tmpfs is a good solution to use here if you don't care about the data stored here between reboots
/home - If you have users then you should make a partition for them. If not, then lump it in with /

Also, I make a separate partition for the meat and potatos of the server. Be it mail storage, database files, whatever. It gets its own separate partition. If you can only protect one partition via backup and raid, make it this one!

For the love of Pete, do yourself a favor and install grub for the boot loader (if using linux). If you learn how to use it it can be a real life saver.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 1:01:55 PM EDT
I also make about a four or five gip partition where I first place my staticly configured swap file, then redirect all of my internet caches over to.

This gives me one drive where my swap file is one contigous piece and the rest is all fragged up from the caches. This makes my boot drive able to be 100% defragged.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 1:12:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:
I also make about a four or five gip partition where I first place my staticly configured swap file, then redirect all of my internet caches over to.

This gives me one drive where my swap file is one contigous piece and the rest is all fragged up from the caches. This makes my boot drive able to be 100% defragged.

Interesting
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:32:06 AM EDT
I'm sure this is all VERY interesting, but I don't speak 'geek'!!!.....
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:21:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/6/2005 5:30:06 PM EDT by tisfortexas]
Ok, I need the puters for dummies version explained in detail. I let the anti-virus subscription run out and it got real slow even if not on the internet. About two weeks ago somebody posted a vid link that needed a bit-torrent host or whatever so I downloaded it, installed, and then downloaded the vid. I don't use Kazaa or Limewire on this computer because of prior problems with viruses and trojans. I went to Trend Micro housecall and had 36 viruses and one trojan and let that website delete them and re-ran housecall without finding anything else but it is still slow as hell. I want to reinstall windows XP but don't have the disks that usually come with the computer but had to do it before while a tech talked me through it over the phone and it reinstalled from the hard drive I guess. I have a few questions. (1)I need to know how to reinstall windows XP if anybody can explain it for me. (2) Can I partion the hard drive now and save my info that needs to be saved to it or do I need to save the info to a disk this time first before I can partition it because it will be lost doing the partition? (3) Explain exactly how to do a partition after I reinstall windows.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 4:42:36 AM EDT

Originally Posted By tisfortexas:
Ok, I need the puters for dummies version explained in detail. I let the anti-virus subscription run out and it got real slow even if not on the internet. About two weeks ago somebody posted a vid link that needed a bit-torrent host or whatever so I downloaded it, installed, and then downloaded the vid. I don't use Kazaa or Limewire on this computer because of prior problems with viruses and trojans. I went to Trend Micro housecall and had 36 viruses and one trojan and let that website delete them and re-ran housecall without finding anything else but it is still slow as hell. I want to reinstall windows XP but don't have the disks that usually come with the computer but had to do it before while a tech talked me through it over the phone and it reinstalled from the hard drive I guess. I have a few questions. (1)I need to know how to reinstall windows XP if anybody can explain it for me. (2) Can I partion the hard drive now and save my info that needs to be saved to it or do I need to save the info to a disk this time first before I can partition it because it will be lost doing the partition? (3) Explain exactly how to do a partition after I reinstall windows.

I'll answer a couple of you questions. First in order to repartition a drive you first have to remove the existing partitions, this means losing all the data in those partitions. As to how you do it, with a standard Windows CD you can create partitions in the install process or make your boot partition less than the whole drive and create the additional partitions in the unpartitioned space from within Windows.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:19:58 AM EDT

(1)I need to know how to reinstall windows XP if anybody can explain it for me. (2) Can I partion the hard drive now and save my info that needs to be saved to it or do I need to save the info to a disk this time first before I can partition it because it will be lost doing the partition? (3) Explain exactly how to do a partition after I reinstall windows.

make a new thread in the urban chaos forum for this and we would be glad to help

no need to hijack a good thread
Top Top