Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/12/2003 10:15:10 AM EDT
Gregory Peck dies at 87.He was a long time soporter and charter broad member at HCI.And I know he will be missed.Long live Charlie Heston
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:16:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Well...........bye
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:19:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:22:17 AM EDT
[#3]
OMG, I'm in shock. He was a great man. He...Oh shit!, is it lunch time already??

I gotta go....
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:23:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Well...........bye
View Quote

One of my favorite lines.

How about, "Smells like something died."
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:23:57 AM EDT
[#5]
[wave]

Bye.  I want to say something reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeealy cold and callous, but I just cant do it.

on edit:
THE HELL I CANT.  This guy was the enemy, if he could have made firearm ownership against the law and have the JBTs kicking down the door of every owner, HE WOULD HAVE.  I have no respect for people who wish to deprive others of their rights.
[snoopy][banana]

Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:24:23 AM EDT
[#6]
He was Atticus Finch in "To Kill a Mockingbird", voted the greatest film hero of all time.  Atticus was quite a pacifist, so it seems was Peck.  There's room in the world for principles, just be careful whose club you join and what's really on the agenda.  Disarming the world is not the same as pacifying it, it's more like enslaving it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:26:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
He was Atticus Finch in "To Kill a Mockingbird", voted the greatest film hero of all time.  Atticus was quite a pacifist, so it seems was Peck.  There's room in the world for principles, just be careful whose club you join and what's really on the agenda.  Disarming the world is not the same as pacifying it, it's more like enslaving it.
View Quote

You can not pacify those who can refuse with force, to dis arm is to pacify AND enslave.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:27:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:32:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
They say it always happens in threes...

So, David Brinkley
Gregory Peck
(?)
View Quote

Do we get to vote?

3 antis in one day/week.month?  

[:D]

Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:34:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:37:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How's that battleaxe BlackLung going nowadays?
View Quote

We [b]really[/b] should mobilize the arfcom army and send her ass [quite] a few cartons....

Pall Mall non filters perhaps?
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:41:23 AM EDT
[#12]
He was born in my home town.  I'll miss him as a fine actor.

My condolences to Mr. Peck's family, friends, and fans.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 4:00:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I always thought he was a fine actor. But I never knew he was an anti-gunner as well.

So long alpha sierra. My condolences to his family.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 6:42:17 PM EDT
[#14]
I can't think of a single thing that Atticus Finsh did or said that would qualify him as a pacifist.  Remember, "pacifist" is a somewhat specific term that lies at the far edge of the spectrum.  The character was very admirable.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 6:57:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Gloftoe, already hit three.

David Brinkley
Gregory Peck
Donald Regan
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:03:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Was Atticus being a pacifist when he shot the rabid dog?

While I did not agree with Peck’s politics he always seemed a fine man and was a great actor, he was also a very close friend of Charlton Heston.

I sure some of your mothers would be very proud of you taking glee in a mans death.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:08:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I sure some of your mothers would be very proud of you taking glee in a mans death.
View Quote

[bounce] GLEE GLEE GLEE!!!!!!!!!!! [bounce]

[img]photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=476[/img]
[url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url]
[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:19:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Not to wish ill on someone, but he was the enemy and he's already dead....

I hope to take a road trip and shit on his grave.

Same goes for SB, HRC, JR, et al., freedom of speech you know. [;)]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:25:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Was Atticus being a pacifist when he shot the rabid dog?

While I did not agree with Peck’s politics he always seemed a fine man and was a great actor, he was also a very close friend of Charlton Heston.

View Quote

As much as a Jewish mother would, learning of Eichmann's execution.

I don't care how appealing or warm and fuzzy a public figure may be, if he or she is working to rob me of my God-given rights, I will fight him or her, nonetheless. This guy worked tirelessly for HCI and was on its founding board of directors, contributing his image, celebrity, time and money to the cause of citizen disarmament. Disarmed peoples become subjects- and worse. I have no desire to become a subject.

Why do you think he always played pacifists? Remember the movie "The Big Country"?

"Revenge is a dish best served cold."- old Spanish proverb.

Pass the ice.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:46:45 PM EDT
[#20]
I noticed he graduated from Berkeley in 1939 and then went to NYC to pursue acting. There is no mention of service in WWII. Looks like he got out of it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:48:51 PM EDT
[#21]
"NEXT..."
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:56:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I noticed he graduated from Berkeley in 1939 and then went to NYC to pursue acting. There is no mention of service in WWII. Looks like he got out of it.
View Quote

Old back injury, supposedly....
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:58:58 PM EDT
[#23]
A.M.F. [WAVE]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 8:02:19 PM EDT
[#24]
HCI?
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 8:05:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
HCI?
View Quote

Handgun Control, Inc. Recently merged with other dwindling gun control groups to form the Brady Campaign Against Gun Violence.

A rose by any other name still stinks.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 8:09:51 PM EDT
[#26]
This is totally unlike me, but...

[b]GOOD FUCKING RIDDENS[/b]

One less enemy of freedom. Too bad there are plenty of others, and plenty of em making brain-dead voters with their propagand`\Â@ support them.

[frag]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 8:39:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
"NEXT..."
View Quote

Hang on a minute.  I’m reloading as fast as I can.[%|]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 8:39:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
This is totally unlike me, but...

[b]GOOD FUCKING RIDDENS[/b]

One less enemy of freedom. Too bad there are plenty of others, and plenty of em making brain-dead voters with their propagand`\Â@ support them.

I am not a Grammar Nazi..but............... isn't it Good F***ing Riddance?

Any way. I couldn't agree more.
If there is a GOD, then he surely hates Liberals. Have fun in HELL.  Hot enough for ya?!!!!

[frag]
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 8:43:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:04:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Washington, D.C. - Sarah Brady, Chair of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence United with the Million Mom March, released the following statement:

"Jim and I were both saddened today to hear of the passing of our friend, Gregory Peck. He was a principled and warm-hearted man who gave a great deal of time and energy to efforts that have made our world a safer and better place. He was the quintessential great American, and we will sorely miss him.

"Over the years, Jim and I were extremely lucky to have the pleasure of his company many times. He was also kind enough to serve as Honorary Chairman of the Sarah and Jim Brady Society, which raises funds for gun safety efforts.

"Gregory Peck always made these controversial issues very simple. 'What is wrong with keeping guns out of the hands of the wrong people?' he asked. He said it for years. We'll keep saying it on his behalf."
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 12:34:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 12:51:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
"Gregory Peck always made these controversial issues very simple. 'What is wrong with keeping guns out of the hands of the wrong people?' he asked. He said it for years. We'll keep saying it on his behalf."
View Quote

See, it is things like this that make me wonder. I think all of us would agree that keeping guns out of the worng hands is just fine. We do not know what Peck really thought. We can be sure, though, that HCI et al worked very hard to get the endorsement of a high profile star like Peck. Given the way they lie about everything is it too much of a stretch to imagine that he agreed to them using his name without any real depth of knowledge about their real agenda? Maybe he was trying to do the right thing, but was misled by those people. Look at all of the otherwise sensible people who want gun control until they really begin to understand what it is all about. I give it about a 50/50 shot and prefer not to think ill of a fine actor.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 1:14:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
...Disarming the world is not the same as pacifying it, it's more like enslaving it.
View Quote

Damn, you got that right.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 7:57:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Goodbye to another Hollyweird liberal that made a shitload of movies with guns in them but doesn't think you or I should have them. Ranks right up there with Pokey-Poke (felon) Mark Wahlberg (who shouldn't, by law, be handling firearms of ANY type, blanks or not, at ANY time) and "I can make a lot of movies with guns but I don't like them" George Clooney. I'd really like to see these Hollywood liberals put their convictions where their wallets are. But it ain't gonna happen. I won't apologize-GOOD RIDDANCE.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 8:10:09 PM EDT
[#35]
He was the quintessential great American
View Quote
Bullshit! here's a link to some REAL Americans:
[url]http://www.palletmastersworkshop.com/flipside.html[/url]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 8:21:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

See, it is things like this that make me wonder. I think all of us would agree that keeping guns out of the worng hands is just fine.
View Quote

What happens when your hands are the wrong hands?

We do not know what Peck really thought. We can be sure, though, that HCI et al worked very hard to get the endorsement of a high profile star like Peck. Given the way they lie about everything is it too much of a stretch to imagine that he agreed to them using his name without any real depth of knowledge about their real agenda? Maybe he was trying to do the right thing, but was misled by those people. Look at all of the otherwise sensible people who want gun control until they really begin to understand what it is all about. I give it about a 50/50 shot and prefer not to think ill of a fine actor.
View Quote

He knew darn well what he was doing- he was a life-long liberal pacifist, and a grown-up. If he lent his name and rep to a cause he didn't take the time to fully investigate over the past 30 years he was involved in HCI, then he was a bigger fool than I thought.  Happy dirt nap, Mr. Peck.

I have learned the hard way: media people are entertainers - modern court jesters, and should be always seen in that light. One should never confuse an actor's roles with his character.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 8:22:32 PM EDT
[#37]
500+ posts and you do not know what HCI is? DAMN! Someone needs to spend more time reading and less time posting. [:D]

Greg Peck is gone but at least he knew who HCI is. They are like the "Joker" in the arch-enemy hall of fame in Gotham.

Bob

Link Posted: 6/17/2003 9:00:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Jesus, I can't even like any old school actors either? I liked both Cronyn and Peck all the while not knowing they didn't like me back. That sure wasn't very nice of them. They're gone and me and my guns are still here. I win. Woo hoo!
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 9:54:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Twelve O'Clock High and Guns of Navarone were great flicks.....

...oh well. I'll pray for his soul, but don't expect to see me missing him or calling him a "great American".
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 10:17:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Twelve O'Clock High and Guns of Navarone were great flicks.....

...oh well. I'll pray for his soul, but don't expect to see me missing him or calling him a "great American".
View Quote

Just for the record,Sarah Brady thinks he's a great american  not me
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 7:02:56 PM EDT
[#41]
I will miss Greg Peck the actor ,always a true Gent(unless he was chasing Hitler clone boys)!

Knew him as a great actor,never knew him as neighbor,hell I don't know that all my good neighbors even like guns!   Probably not,so be it that's their right same as mine to love them!

There is enough room for all of us,as long as I don't try to make them buy one,and they don't try and stop me from being able to own one!

Bob [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top