Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/30/2005 10:52:09 PM EDT
All are HF. Us lowly Technician Class guys without HF rigs gotta sit this one out.

S.A.T.E.R.N. Net 14.265 (Salvation Army Team Emergency Radio Network)
Sheriff Office (Monitor only) 14.396.5
Health & Welfare Net 7.290

I heard the S.O. freq is hopping. SATERN won't be doing anything until the Red Cross tells them they can. Same with H&W...

I have been listening on Echolink. There isn't a whole lot, but once in a while some live news comes through. I know some maritime freqencies are also being used, but I didn't catch which once. Probably the Coasties...

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:56:16 PM EDT
Anything on shortwave?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:57:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/30/2005 10:58:16 PM EDT by Belfry_Express]
best I can muster is 2m and the nets are giving me too much info

and if u remember your rules and its a life and limb situation, us Techs can use what we need to to save lives
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:57:31 PM EDT
S.O. on 20 meters? WTF?

Without a good antenna, you probably won't hear a whole lot. I got the radio, but no antenna outside.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:57:37 PM EDT

14.325 days as the night time condx suck.
I heard a few days ago that LA, ARES was on 3873 I believe but I havent heard
anything on that freq. The active freqs shouldnt be too difficult to find out.
A local 2 meter emergency net will have the freqs you need.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:58:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Sukebe:
Anything on shortwave?

Those are shortwave.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:01:35 PM EDT
I am gonna be goin down to mobile on saturday to help some friends out, I will be taking my rigs with me to try and get more info if I can.

must find lotsa repeaters in the area.

this friend has lotsa family in gulfport, they stayed in a house that survived Camile, I pray to God they are safe
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:03:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/30/2005 11:04:32 PM EDT by Az_Redneck]

Originally Posted By Misery:
S.O. on 20 meters? WTF?

Without a good antenna, you probably won't hear a whole lot. I got the radio, but no antenna outside.

My thoughts exactly. But, it is afterall an emergency and I believe they can take over a frequency during that time if theirs isn't working. Probably digital working off the land lines. I may be wrong.

It might be the RACES guys running some sort of mutual aid/logistics net for them too...
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:10:36 PM EDT
Where the freqs come from? I know FEMA used 14.396 for 9/11, but I've never been involved with how these hams help out. Most hams aren't ready for this kind of thing. Without power, you're screwed, and I never knew any ham with backup power for radio comms. Not to mention, what are they using for mobile communication? Not too many have mobile rigs, and they don't have HTs for those low freqs. 6m or even 2m would be much better....uh.. what do I know.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:17:40 PM EDT

Where the freqs come from? I know FEMA used 14.396 for 9/11, but I've never been involved with how these hams help out. Most hams aren't ready for this kind of thing. Without power, you're screwed, and I never knew any ham with backup power for radio comms. Not to mention, what are they using for mobile communication? Not too many have mobile rigs, and they don't have HTs for those low freqs. 6m or even 2m would be much better....uh.. what do I know.

Where you been bro? I have several mobiles. I have one in an "orange box" that is battery powered as well as AC.. I have a B/U generator and deep cycle batteries. I even have a solar panel that'll charge em up

I'm in a ARES/RACES group and more than 50% are better equipped than I am. Most of the General Calss have portable rigs that'll operate on stuff other than 110vac

We got it goin' on!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:27:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/30/2005 11:28:15 PM EDT by Misery]
Well, I suppose if you're into the ARES group thing. I was part of the "Loose Cannon" group from 146.540 and should state that we pissed off Arizona Repeater Association and many other uptight hams. It was crazy and fun, but I'm glad to be done with the hobby. This was way back in the mid 90s, but eventually I just got tired of all the bullshit. You might even find a few who know or remember the Loose Cannons, only a couple original people still even hang out on 54. It was a shitstorm of fighting and chaos, but nothing like CB. I have 2 HTs and a few miscellaneous items, but have no plans on ever getting into it again. I'm now just back to scanning where I started.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:32:08 PM EDT

Well, I suppose if you're into the ARES group thing. I was part of the "Loose Cannon" group from 146.540 and should state that we pissed off Arizona Repeater Association and many other uptight hams. It was crazy and fun, but I'm glad to be done with the hobby. This was way back in the mid 90s, but eventually I just got tired of all the bullshit. You might even find a few who know or remember the Loose Cannons, only a couple original people still even hang out on 54. It was a shitstorm of fighting and chaos, but nothing like CB. I have 2 HTs and a few miscellaneous items, but have no plans on ever getting into it again. I'm now just back to scanning where I started.

Didn't you say above you have an HF rig? Wanna get rid of it?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:37:06 PM EDT
Ah, the HF comes in a little package. The Kenwood TH-F6 www.universal-radio.com/catalog/ht/0066.html

I sold the actual HF rig a long time ago, along with everything else.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:46:19 PM EDT

Without power, you're screwed, and I never knew any ham withwithout backup power for radio comms.

Huh...I don't know a single ham who doesn't have backup power of some sort. The local ARES group has members with generators, and each of us typically has enough battery power to run low to medium power mobile (plenty) for at least 48 hours.

Jim
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:57:28 PM EDT
My ham friends just weren't into backup supplies. A few might have had something small, but nothing they dedicated to ham radio. Just the way it was for everyone I knew. Even a couple guys who had a boatload of equipment and towers.
Top Top