Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2004 6:37:05 AM EDT
Had oral surgery on tuesday and trying to quit surgery in the same boat.  Needless to say I'm not feeling good, not sleeping good, and want nicotine bad.  

What all syptoms did you quitters go through?
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:38:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Drink lots of water it helps your body flush the nicotine out of your system.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:41:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I used those Commit lozenges (4mg) for about 2 weeks(those lozenges are nasty, but they work in killing the urge to light up).  Haven't had a smoke or a craving in 10 months.  And I was a two and a half pack a day for 17 years type smoker. YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:42:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:44:48 AM EDT
[#4]

Yep... lots of water and try to do some physical exercise... I used to smoke near 2 packs a day and I quit cold...whenever I wanted a smoke I'd step outside and shoot my Martin recurve bow.  I've gotten real good with that Dream Catcher...

Take a walk, go for a run, lift iron, whatever it takes... the hardest part is the first 2 weeks, then it starts to get better... honest...

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:45:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Cold turkey 3 weeks ago when I found out my dad has stage 4 lung cancer. At first I had headaches and cravings, now I just miss going outside with the guys to smoke, but I am sure that will pass too. Hang in there.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:46:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Epsomsalt bath.  Helps clean out your system somehow.  Suppose to help.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:48:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Good advice about the water.  Also, I noticed that I slept an awful lot during w/d (withdrawl).

What was really weird - I'd dream about having a 'grit.  I'd feel the smoke rushing into and filling my lungs - and really enjoying the calmness as I exhaled.  There was guilt too in these dreams.  Guilt and self-loathing that I was letting my self down after having quit for x number of days or weeks and losing "it".  This guilt would stay with me for a little while after I woke up too.

Don't worry - the dreams only come and go for about the first year or so.

Back then, whenever I was at a bar, and one of my friends was smoking, the nic cravings would go into hyper-drive.  I was able to silently count to 10 and back - and by the time I did that my nic craving had abated.

Good luck - it's worth it.  Money-wise and health-wise.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:50:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I wanted to eat everything AND I wanted a smoke. I know/knew it was bad for me but damnit I liked smoking. Other than that I was a bit irratable for the first few days after stopping, but that passes too.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:52:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quit by smoking hardcore for about a week, to the point where I was forcing myself to finish cigs.  Then I did alot of exercise as I was kicking it.  Worked best for me, the problem I had with tapering off is that once you taper down to the point where you're less than half a pack a day, the cigs start to get enjoyable again.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:54:11 AM EDT
[#10]
I quit cold turkey nine years ago. Eat pie right, excercise, and take vitamins. It took me two weeks and it was all down hill from there. Hang in there!
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:55:18 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
the problem I had with tapering off is that once you taper down to the point where you're less than half a pack a day, the cigs start to get enjoyable again.

I've always said, "If I could smoke just one a day, I would never, ever quit."

Problem is, one was never enough, and only 50 was too many.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:07:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Some (very few) only smoke 1-3 cigs a day. I don't know how they did it as I'd smoke 1-3 per smoker break back to back.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:14:25 AM EDT
[#13]
The first week is the worst.  Drink lots of water, keep busy, and get some Altoids mints or Clorets gum.  Any strong flavor will help break a nicotine craving.  I have tried patches, gum, etc and eventually you have to come off those also - you are just delaying the inevitable.  You will notice that you feel better, have more energy, can smell and taste more clearly, etc once you have quit.

Nicotine withdrawal for me was shakes, irritability, cold chills, aches, almost a cold or flu-like feeling.  It peaks around day 2 or 3, and subsides in a few days.  I still experience a craving on occasion, udually when under a lot of stress, over 2 years since I quit.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:27:43 AM EDT
[#14]
I've read an article back when I quit (7 years ago ) to drink O.J. because something about the nicotine blocking vitamin C? I quit in stages. I wouldn't smoke around the baby of course. Then I went to not smoking in the car. Then came increasing the time between cigarettes at work. Total process took about 2 weeks. I would use one of those spring grip exercizerswhen I felt a craving, which was usually in the car or at work.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:31:48 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
once you taper down to the point where you're less than half a pack a day, the cigs start to get enjoyable again.

+1
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:20:35 AM EDT
[#16]
The withdrawl symptoms I had was wanting to smoke at all of my usual smoking times. While I used the patch for a couple weeks, I was more addicted to the habit of smoking than the nicotine.
Try to avoid things that trigger you to want to smoke, drinking ect.
Accept the fact that it takes 90 days to completly break a habit and tuff it out until the urges are gone.  
Good Luck!
Trust me you will be happy you quit.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:26:05 AM EDT
[#17]
I smoke 1.5+ packs a day. I quit a while ago with the patch...My withdrawl symptoms without the patch were bad, insomnia and cold sweat being the main ones.
I'm smoking again, and acctually am as I'm typing this. I'll give the patch another shot once I'm done with this carton....

ETA: I believe a big part of the addiction is ritualistic and mental. Try not to engage in activities where you normally smoke. For example with me, I drove with the windows up when I was quitting because I smoked when the windows were down...

ETA2: STAY AWAY FROM THE GUM!!!!! Many people tend to get addicted to those, and they are a FAR more expensive habit than cigarettes!

ETA3: Hide all your ashtrays and clean all your surfaces that may have ash on them. Let your house/car completely air out. The idea is not to smell any residue of cigarettes. Don't hang out around smokers if possible for a little while. Nicotine is more addictive than Heroin. In fact, it is THE most addictive substance around, so  be proud of yourself because of quitting. Pride will carry you through this.

You may ask yourself why I'm preaching if I was unsucessful at quitting myself. Let me put it this way: Stay AWAY FROM EXCESSIVE STRESS and WOMEN! They will be the doom of your attempts
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:28:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Withdrawls include:

Hatred for all.
Pissed all the time.
And an overwhelming want to kill something.

Those are my withdrawls everytime i try to quit chewing.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:32:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Grumpy mostly. I drank water anytime I wanted a cigarette.
Stay away from smokers, clean all your clothes, wash the crap out of the inside of the car and throw away the ashtrays and lighters.
1 year so far
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:43:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:15:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Quitting smoking is easy.  I usually quit once a week.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:13:48 PM EDT
[#22]
I quit for about a year and a half,  usually went through one of those big packs of gum every day for about 2 months,  needed dental work to fix the damage cause by the gum.   Beer tasted SOO much better, which got me concerned for a bit, and I gained about 40lbs.   Maybe would have been worth it if i didn't start again about a year ago.   I will worry about that another time.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:20:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:23:02 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I used those Commit lozenges (4mg) for about 2 weeks(those lozenges are nasty, but they work in killing the urge to light up).  Haven't had a smoke or a craving in 10 months.  And I was a two and a half pack a day for 17 years type smoker. YMMV.

Me too... except now I'm hooked on the damn lozenges! (2mg)
No I'm not kidding.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:25:06 PM EDT
[#25]
hungry like a hooker that hasn't gotten none in a lifetime
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:27:04 PM EDT
[#26]
i quit last friday night.i have only had one fall back smoked one last night and my mouth tasted like a ashtray afterwards.go get yourself a bag of lifesavers and keep a handfull in your pocket.when the urge hits take a lifesaver instead.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:30:42 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Withdrawls include:

Hatred for all.
Pissed all the time.
And an overwhelming want to kill something.

Those are my withdrawls everytime i try to quit chewing.

sounds about right.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:31:49 PM EDT
[#28]
I quit cold turkey 10 years ago.  It was hard for the first week.  I couldn't sleep.  I always had the urge to get out of bed and smoke.  I was always hungry.  At work I always had this feeling like I had to hurry up and go someplace.

I refused to give in to anything unusual that I was feeling.

It was a must for me to stay away from drinking in bars for a few weeks.  Drinking at home was ok.

Whatever you do, do not give in to any urges...be stuborn.

You can make it through this tough time.  The real tough times do not last very long, but you always have to have your guard up because you can cave in at any time.

Now, I smoke cigars about three times a year.  It is very enjoyable to smoke for pleasure and not necessity.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:34:39 PM EDT
[#29]
... I quit chewing tobacco almost two weeks ago today. A nasty habit monkey I had on my back for years. I knew that particular Sunday night I was quitting for good and constantly chewed like a cow on a cud the week prior.

... I too have dreamt about it, eaten more, grabbed for an imaginary can and generally fought all those little instinctive ancillary aspects that accompany a tobacco habit. I just decide I was bigger than the addiction and I would kick its ass.

... It gets easier each day
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 2:55:53 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
... I quit chewing tobacco almost two weeks ago today. A nasty habit monkey I had on my back for years. I knew that particular Sunday night I was quitting for good and constantly chewed like a cow on a cud the week prior.

... I too have dreamt about it, eaten more, grabbed for an imaginary can and generally fought all those little instinctive ancillary aspects that accompany a tobacco habit. I just decide I was bigger than the addiction and I would kick its ass.

... It gets easier each day

There are a couple pretty good nicotine-free snuffs out there. I'm gonna use 'em to get off the skoal bandits that got me off the cigs.

just an idea.

BTW, on day 5 I think it was, I damn near punched some asshole's lights out in a 7-11.
Not smoking is STILL rough on me after almost 6 months!
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:44:40 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Quitting smoking is easy.  I usually quit once a week.

LOL---I can quit any time I want--I never smoke while I'm sleeping!!!!

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:56:00 PM EDT
[#32]
I quit years ago, did the patch thing for a week and got tired of it.  Cold turkey after that.  Just eat alot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top