Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/22/2017 10:34:08 PM EDT
I mean the peaceniks/commies got favorable press then (I am assuming), lots of people in the streets (what a field day for the heat ), so is it basically the same thing?  Back then you had the Weather Underground, SLA, and other nuts, protesters like Antifa, so it seems like a reboot of 40 years ago.  Unless it gets far worse, it is seeming like it is just a bad flash back.

I was born a few days before 1969, so have no idea of the turmoil back then.  I remember hearing about black snipers in Chicago shooting at police too.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:38:37 PM EDT
[#1]
It was orders of magnitude worse.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:40:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
That is what I am wondering.  Much Ado about nothing.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:46:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd have to go look through some of my books but pretty sure there was riots in Detroit that ended up with entire city blocks burnt to the ground.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:51:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Historically speaking,  violence was worse.

However, our economy and real GDP was better.

We also know about globalists who are trying to sabotage our country. Not a conspiracy theory, an unfortunate fact.

Interesting times are ahead.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:54:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
I lived it back then and have to agree, much more bloodshed, random hate, and violent protest/radical groups.

ANTIFA/BLM and all the offshoots have nothing on the viciousness of the fringe groups of the 60s and 70s.

All they have is a biased media manipulating the facts for them.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:55:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
And yet the were far more innocent times.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:58:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:04:53 PM EDT
[#8]
But back then the left hadn't been brainwashing kids in schools for 50 years. The people in charge of the country tended to actually love their country. The left had yet to take over the legal system.
So while the violence isn't worse today, the damage done to America is much more so.
If you don't think we are in the red zone as far as danger to our rights, you aren't paying attention. We dodged a major bullet with Hillary losing, but the left has turned it up to 11 in her absence.
Google and other behemoths are working hard to destroy free speech and punish those that dare to exercise it. They want to turn all speech they don't like into hate speech, which under their rules means you are less than human and fair game for whatever they want to do to you.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:06:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
This, whole blocks of cities were burned down.

so bad it lowered property values for decades.

http://www.nber.org/digest/sep04/w10243.html

Although they characterize their baseline estimates as "tentative," Collins and Margo find a relative decline in median black family income of approximately 9 percent in cities that experienced severe riots relative to those that did not, controlling for several other relevant city characteristics. There is also some evidence of an adverse effect on adult male employment rates, particularly in the 1970s. Between 1960 and 1980, severe riot cities had relative declines in male employment rates of 4 to 7 percentage points. Individual-level data for the 1970s suggests that this decline was especially large for men under the age of 30.

In the second paper, The Economic Aftermath of the 1960s Riots: Evidence from Property Values (NBER Working Paper No. 10493), Margo and Collins investigate the influence of riots on central city residential property values, especially black-owned properties. They find that the riots significantly depressed the median value of black-owned property between 1960 and 1970, with little or no rebound in the 1970s. The baseline estimates for severe-riot cities relative to small-or-no-riot cities range from approximately 14 to 20 percent for black-owned properties, and from 6 to 10 percent for all central-city residential properties. Household-level data for the 1970s indicate that the racial gap in property values widened substantially in riot-afflicted cities relative to others.

and there were way more deaths.  Every couple of months in 67-69 there would be a riot in which 10 or more people would be killed and hundreds or thousands injured
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:11:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
True
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:16:14 PM EDT
[#11]
FPNI.

I was TDY at the NSA when MLK was shot. We were restricted to base but weren't subject to any riot duty.

The rest of the riots were pretty bad but I never experienced them first hand.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:25:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Until there is a Tacitly supported Bombing Campaign and multiple American Cities have Line Combat Units with Tanks Deployed, you ain't seen nothing yet.

Find the Days of Rage Thread, read the blog post linked, and then buy the book.

It can (and will IMO) get a LOT worse.

ETA: LINK

Thread

Blog Post Review of Book "Days of Rage" mentioned in linked thread.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:29:16 PM EDT
[#13]
In Dan Carlin's Common Sense show he hits on it at about the 20 minute mark.

The Day of the Dove
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:34:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Wanna know how bad it got? Google Kent State!

Then in the 90's google LA riots.

It could get worse though, especially with a lot of folks heavily armed and on edge.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:36:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Wanna know how bad it got? Google Kent State!
View Quote
LOL

Try Detroit, a couple times.

Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:47:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Law enforcement has their hands tied. There are cameras everywhere, everyone has a cell phone with a camera. These scumbags don't respect the law, cops are getting ambushed and whacked like some third world shit hole. There should be open season on anyone who attacks police. 
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:49:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Also Google "1968 Democratic Convention, Chicago".  Those policemen were turned loose after being badly abused by protestors, and there were some ferocious scenes in the Windy City.

I totally agree with previous poster the only thing I've seen in my immediate recollection to match was the L.A. riots.  When I saw the Korean gent shucking that Remington 870 like a champ from the store roof, I'm thinking, "Okay, this just got real."  Same for the Korean pharmacist with the Beretta 92.  Think of several of those going on one after another:  Detroit, Newark, etc.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:52:33 PM EDT
[#18]
One major difference: generally speaking, the media was on the side of decency and law and order then. Now they are pushing the Leftists agenda, which both magnifies their thuggish activity and increases their clout in an era of political correctness.

One other factor: the Democratic Party is a fully-owned subsidiary of today's anarchist/Antifa/BLM/Soros movement. In the 1960s, the targets of protests were often Democrats (LBJ, the 1968 Convention). Nixon was elected in 1968 in great measure because of his promise to restore law and order.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:55:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Tame, no where near the beatings, hosings, and general chaos. I remember my brother coming home from Vietnam and him and a bunch of other vets getting sent to maintain order downstate
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:55:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Antifa violence, not so much gun shots.

Detroit riots, lots of gun shots.

The Guard set up a sandbag wall with an MG in front of the house next door to us.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:56:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is what I remember.  I was only a kid, though.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:59:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
One major difference: generally speaking, the media was on the side of decency and law and order then. Now they are pushing the Leftists agenda, which both magnifies their thuggish activity and increases their clout in an era of political correctness.

One other factor: the Democratic Party is a fully-owned subsidiary of today's anarchist/Antifa/BLM/Soros movement. In the 1960s, the targets of protests were often Democrats (LBJ, the 1968 Convention). Nixon was elected in 1968 in great measure because of his promise to restore law and order.
View Quote
Right, the media was always very pro American until recently. They are now cheerleading, lying, and justifying violence at every turn. I am sure there would've been no BLM riots if the media didn't lie about Trayvon Martin and Mike Brown. So the interesting thing about your comment of how the leftists/communists were attacking the Democrat Party then is...that they obviously eventually succeeded in taking over the party. I think Obama's political career being launched by Bill Ayers is the perfect metaphore/example of the completion of their takeover. So the difference now is that the left owns the Dems, the media, and the rioters. How did we get here?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:00:30 AM EDT
[#23]
This recent bullshit does not compare.
Not even a little bit.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:00:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
I didn't live through it but this is what I've been told.

My Dad was in the National Guard during this time.  He has said numerous times that he never knew if he was going to be activated for martial law.  A lot of National Guard at that time were activated.

We are nowhere near the level of the 60's.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:02:23 AM EDT
[#25]
I was 10 / 11 years old. I remember the fires and curfews. We could see the smoke from Baltimore. We lived just outside in the county. You could see into the city from the corner of my street. Then dad drove us through the city a year or so later and block after block was ruined and burnt. While it was much worse there no feeling of impending doom like there is today.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:05:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
yes, this.
For fucks sake.
the scared little bitches should calm the fuck down.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:05:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Well...maybe, but it was focused on the government's involvement in Vietnam...and not aimed mainly at people who have different political/philosophical ideals...and statues.

The subversive groups were a bit more committed in the 60's - but focused their rage on the government and government installations. The lunatic fringe today just wants to hurt or kill those with different political ideals. 

Add the fact, as stated above, that the media didn't cheerlead for the commies back then like they do today. 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:20:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Also the 1965 Watts riot in L.A. - do an image search.  Six days of rioting, looting, arson, shooting.  34 dead, 1000 + injured, 3400 + arrested, $40 million + in damages, and the LAPD needed the Nat Guard to help quell the violence.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:31:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Well...maybe, but it was focused on the government's involvement in Vietnam...and not aimed mainly at people who have different political/philosophical ideals...and statues.

The subversive groups were a bit more committed in the 60's - but focused their rage on the government and government installations. The lunatic fringe today just wants to hurt or kill those with different political ideals. 

Add the fact, as stated above, that the media didn't cheerlead for the commies back then like they do today. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah man, those city blocks that got burned down, store owners murdered, police officers murdered, had a bunch to do with Vietnam.

Vietnam was an excuse, not the reason, the reason is the same as it is now: 1. Fuck the US/Capitalism. 2. Fuck Whitey.

Only reason anyone on the Left gave a shit about Vietnam is that it was an unpopular war (so it was a good recruiting tool) and we were fighting their brothers on the Left.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:45:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Until there is a Tacitly supported Bombing Campaign and multiple American Cities have Line Combat Units with Tanks Deployed, you ain't seen nothing yet.

Thread

View Quote
It's no accident a number of members from those left wing groups of the 60's and 70's ended up teaching at colleges and universities.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:54:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

It's no accident a number of members from those left wing groups of the 60's and 70's ended up teaching at colleges and universities.
View Quote
And getting multiple invites to Obama's White House!
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:47:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
This guy nailed it.  I was alive then and saw it.  Was even approached by SDS back then.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:54:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Light a few of those fuckers up and leave their bodies laying in the street would be a good start.

Tended to calm things down back in my day.

Not kidding either.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:06:32 AM EDT
[#34]
I lived thru it. I think people back then were angry at the government and some of their policies.

Today it seems that people are angry at ideas and beliefs,(those that they don't agree with).

Roy
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:25:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The left didn't have organizations like Google to abuse in fucking with people back then, though.

It's going to get a lot worse.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:37:34 AM EDT
[#36]
The shit going on today can't even be compared. People were getting killed all over the country then and burning whole blocks. This shit is like kids in a schoolyard compared to that time.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:11:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Thread

View Quote
I came here to post this... Days of Rage is a great book. I also recommend further reading on AIM and some sources on the larger context of political violence in America.

American Indian Mafia: An FBI Agent's True Story about Wounded Knee, Leonard Peltier, and the American Indian Movement (AIM)

Academic and dry, but useful if you need a chronology or index of attacks.
Political Violence and Terrorism in Modern America: A Chronology

It's useful to read up on things like the FBI Index to understand some of the state responses. Googling Watts Riots might also be interesting.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:19:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
But back then the left hadn't been brainwashing kids in schools for 50 years. The people in charge of the country tended to actually love their country. The left had yet to take over the legal system.
So while the violence isn't worse today, the damage done to America is much more so.
If you don't think we are in the red zone as far as danger to our rights, you aren't paying attention. We dodged a major bullet with Hillary losing, but the left has turned it up to 11 in her absence.
Google and other behemoths are working hard to destroy free speech and punish those that dare to exercise it. They want to turn all speech they don't like into hate speech, which under their rules means you are less than human and fair game for whatever they want to do to you.
View Quote
Camw here to post basically this.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:23:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I came here to post this... Days of Rage is a great book. I also recommend further reading on AIM and some sources on the larger context of political violence in America.

American Indian Mafia: An FBI Agent's True Story about Wounded Knee, Leonard Peltier, and the American Indian Movement (AIM)

It's useful to read up on things like the FBI Index to understand some of the state responses. Googling Watts Riots might also be interesting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thread

I really need to check that out, the Amazon Reviews are a band of triggered SJWS so the book sounds right up my alley. 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:34:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:54:22 AM EDT
[#41]
I don't think there's much value in trying to compare the two time periods.  Even if things were worse in the 60's, we're just a spark landing in the right tinder away from everything reigniting today... with potentially much worse consequences. Our population has grown by a third since then, with many concentrated in big cities that are just waiting to explode in violence.  And along with the population increase and the impact of instantaneous communications permeating every corner of our culture, so too has grown social "inertia"... accompanied by a dangerous dismissal of the concept of personal responsibility that tends to keep the reasonably level-headed from going all stupid.

What happened in the 60's simply doesn't translate to what could potentially happen today.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:59:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
QFT.

It's not the violence that is biggest concern. I think we each need to adopt a kid and de-brain wash them.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:03:15 AM EDT
[#43]
A family friend was (retired now) a NY State Trooper, prior to that infantry in Vietnam. He had to go to NYC during the blackouts and said that was way worse than Vietnam-that's bad
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:50:05 AM EDT
[#44]
DULLLLLL....

Let me know when National Guard troopy's get mobilized.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:09:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
Well said !
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:00:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
Exactly this. I made a post in the Clinton AWB thread and this is exactly what I meant.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:45:17 AM EDT
[#47]
This is nothing now.z
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:10:12 AM EDT
[#48]
Most of the earlier riots were a community of some sort against the "state."  Democrat Convention had some similarity to current political disturbances as at least some of the violence was directed at other political elements, not necessarily the "state."  The big riots were as others have pointed out, much, much larger and more destructive.

Probably the biggest difference is these days, everybody has access to video recording and broadcasting capabilities.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:42:42 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
My dad was an Army E-6 during the "MLK" riots in DC in 1968. He was leading a patrolling squad enforcing the curfew at night. It was no joke. As quoted above, it was orders of magnitude worse...
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 2:26:39 AM EDT
[#50]
I wasn't there for what happened in the 60's but one of the things I see different is instead of infiltrating groups the communist and socialist are now leading the groups. Instead of a massive campaign of violence its now it's smaller and focused perceived extremist to be put forth to the public as the bad guy being defeated.

Edit: If I am wrong feel free to correct me. As I said this is just how it appears to me and I know I don't have a full picture.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top