Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2013 12:01:20 PM EDT
http://laist.com/2013/03/25/guy_who_aimed_laser_pointer_at_poli.php

"Folks, federal authorities really want you to understand that aiming laser pointers at aircraft in flight is not a game. Case in point a sentence just handed down to a 19-year-old North Hollywood man that finds the defendant heading to federal prison for 30 months for his crime."    
Link Posted: 4/12/2013 12:12:46 PM EDT
[#1]
That's fine by me.

Link Posted: 4/12/2013 12:16:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
That's fine by me.

Yep.  Anyone here been hit with one?
Link Posted: 4/12/2013 12:33:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's fine by me.

I rented an airplane in Tampa Bay right after getting my private several years ago to watch the fireworks on the 4th. Some fucker in a boat put his spotlight on me. I know it's not a laser, but I was royally pissed. These days I might be more tempted to call it in and loiter.
Link Posted: 4/12/2013 12:50:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's fine by me.

I rented an airplane in Tampa Bay right after getting my private several years ago to watch the fireworks on the 4th. Some fucker in a boat put his spotlight on me. I know it's not a laser, but I was royally pissed. These days I might be more tempted to call it in and loiter.
You refer to Tampa Bay as a place.   It is in fact a body of water surrounded by Pinellas, Hillsborough and Manatee counties.  I can tell you that there is no airport from which to rent an airplane in Tampa Bay.

Being from the area, it bothers me to hear people misrepresent or misidentify my home.

Just saying....

Link Posted: 4/12/2013 1:01:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's fine by me.

You refer to Tampa Bay as a place.   It is in fact a body of water surrounded by Pinellas, Hillsborough and Manatee counties.  I can tell you that there is no airport from which to rent an airplane in Tampa Bay.

Being from the area, it bothers me to hear people misrepresent or misidentify my home.

Just saying....

What the fuck are you talking about?  Please get out of my thread.
Link Posted: 4/12/2013 1:04:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's fine by me.

Just saying....

OK, I'm going...  but seriously, you can't tell what I'm talking about?  Read it again, slowly this time, you'll get it.

Link Posted: 4/12/2013 1:14:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's fine by me.

Just saying....

OK, I'm going...  but seriously, you can't tell what I'm talking about?  Read it again, slowly this time, you'll get it.

We got it... it's just semantic bullshit man.  

The rest of us understood he meant "Tampa Bay (area)" without a roadmap.  Had he been dumb enough to say Pinellas, the 99% of us that know it as Tampa Bay would have been lost.  

Good Grief.  

A quick google search pulls up 650,000 results for "Tampa bay aircraft rental".

I'm just going to politely suggest you are fighting a private war against yourself.  

Link Posted: 4/12/2013 1:22:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I wonder if he ever swims out to a Buccaneers' game.
Link Posted: 4/12/2013 2:09:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I wonder if he ever swims out to a Buccaneers' game.

Link Posted: 4/12/2013 5:03:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I usually get lit up by a spotlight about every other night.  It didn't used to be that bad, but under NVGs it is.

The county police helicopters have been laser'd quite a bit in STL, and they usually hang the offenders.  Then after it's all said and done they knock it down to house arrest, community service, etc.  There was just an article in the paper yesterday about it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2013 7:06:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's fine by me.

Yes.   5 times.  All in a different part of the world.  Got a green one on final once that sent everyone in the cockpit to the flight doc with temporary eye injuries, myself included.
To me, it is the same as shooting at us with a traditional weapon.
Link Posted: 4/12/2013 7:39:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's fine by me.

I got lit up by a green laser on final to Wenatchee two years ago. I ducked under the glare shield of the Lear as soon as I saw it. I called the cops when I got on the ground but they never found the guy.
Link Posted: 4/12/2013 7:53:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's fine by me.

I got lit up by a green laser on final to Wenatchee two years ago. I ducked under the glare shield of the Lear as soon as I saw it. I called the cops when I got on the ground but they never found the guy.

It seems that all the police have to do to catch them is to respond in a helicopter.
Link Posted: 4/12/2013 9:31:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's fine by me.

It seems that all the police have to do to catch them is to respond in a helicopter.

In larger areas there are usually police helicopters hanging around anyways.

It's not hard to get their attention and get them in the right area.
Link Posted: 4/12/2013 10:24:47 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's fine by me.

Twice.

Link Posted: 4/12/2013 10:49:46 PM EDT
[#16]

A few years ago, an American Airlines
mechanic lit up my cockpit with a red
laser as we taxied by their MX hangar.

Asshole..

Link Posted: 4/13/2013 4:57:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's fine by me.

Are laser glasses standard issue to police helicopter crews? To save you guys from searching for this; there are glasses similar to sunglasses that are designed to block specific laser wavelengths.
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 6:33:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's fine by me.

In larger areas there are usually police helicopters hanging around anyways.

It's not hard to get their attention and get them in the right area.

I'm really surprised at how often this happens.  I was referring to few stories I saw of arrests that involved lighting up an airplane, and then a police chopper.  Dumb asses are standing outside lighting up everything that flies by.  I bet the video from the helicopter really helps in court.
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 6:51:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Are laser glasses standard issue to police helicopter crews? To save you guys from searching for this; there are glasses similar to sunglasses that are designed to block specific laser wavelengths.

I seriously doubt it.

Laser protective glasses are simply filters against specific wavelengths.  Making them protective of multiple wavelengths renders them, functionally, useless for anything BUT retina protection.

If you know the exact wavelength of the laser that is going to dazzle you ahead of time it is possible to design retina protection against it.  If you don't, it's like issuing body armor that will only protect against a specific individual caliber of bullet and allows all others to pass through without any effect.  It's an expensive feel good measure but is functionally pointless.
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 6:57:22 AM EDT
[#20]
It seems like it's always a green laser and if helicopters were looking for someone using one, it might not hurt to have a pair for the pilot.
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 10:43:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Sorry! But I question just how big a problem this really is!!

Hear me out here, and no tin foil is involved just facts as I know them at this time.

Green lasers are pumped up IR lasers. The Feds are taking issue with the (Greater than 5mw) lasers. Most are above 50mw in power. They have an adjustable diode that allows tweaking (pumping) up or down in power. I think they are trying to put the scare in the sheeple with this so called epidemic. When in reality they want these out of civy hands for a whole nother reason, which I will let you figure out.

What could a powerful 50mw+ IR laser be used for?

I am not doubting there have been aviation issues! I just think the issues are being Exagerated, and disinformation is being spread about, in the hopes that green lasers greater than 5mw's are prohibited not just from buying, but from actual possession. You can look at how rabidly the Gubment tries to restrict sale and ownership in private hands of IR devices with a Mil rating.

The above is just my opinion, and I could be completely wrong.
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 11:05:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/14/2013 5:56:59 AM EDT
[#23]
I dunno; probably around 1000 - 2000 feet for the fireworks. It really wasn't that exciting, aside from being a recently minted pilot and getting to fly around. We were able to see all the fireworks shows to what looked like Orlando, one right after the other. They just aren't as enjoyable without all the noise and even at low altitude, they seemed like they were way down there.
Link Posted: 4/14/2013 6:00:15 AM EDT
[#24]

Come sit in my cockpit.

I have no interest in banning hand held lasers devices.  But if you intentionally point one at an aircraft in flight, you need to go to jail.

I have no interest in banning any type of firearm.  But if you use one in a illegal manner that threatens the life of innocent people, you need to go to jail.

Fair enough?
Link Posted: 4/14/2013 6:15:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Hear me out here, and no tin foil is involved just facts as I know them at this time.

Green lasers are pumped up IR lasers. The Feds are taking issue with the (Greater than 5mw) lasers. Most are above 50mw in power. They have an adjustable diode that allows tweaking (pumping) up or down in power. I think they are trying to put the scare in the sheeple with this so called epidemic. When in reality they want these out of civy hands for a whole nother reason, which I will let you figure out.

What could a powerful 50mw+ IR laser be used for?

I am not doubting there have been aviation issues! I just think the issues are being Exagerated, and disinformation is being spread about, in the hopes that green lasers greater than 5mw's are prohibited not just from buying, but from actual possession. You can look at how rabidly the Gubment tries to restrict sale and ownership in private hands of IR devices with a Mil rating.

The above is just my opinion, and I could be completely wrong.

The issue with aviation is not a fear having your eyes burned out.  It's being temporarily blinded, or even distracted and crashing, killing maybe hundreds of people.  Do you believe that it's ok to point rifles at people, as long as you know that they aren't loaded?  People who point lasers at planes are endangering other people's lives for their own amusement, and should go to jail.
Link Posted: 4/14/2013 6:59:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/14/2013 10:21:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Have you tried Google?

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/14/2013 12:24:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 9:36:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Good idea.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Have you tried Google?

Quoted:

Have you Googled Google ?

Link Posted: 4/17/2013 4:22:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Good idea.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Have you tried Google?

Quoted:

Have you Googled Google ?

LET ME GOOGLE THAT FOR YOU
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 1:11:47 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's fine by me.

no not at all, I believe what he is referring to is how easy it is to catch these mutts with the help of a FLIR equipped chopper. most (not all I know) of these events happen in the evenings or later when its dark. anyone whose seen the vids of these punks can see its obvious that they have no idea the hell that is abou to come tearing ass around the block to cuff and stuff them. They think they are anonymous generally.

this is one of those types of crimes similar to dui where I really and truly believe the punishment should be a beating to within an inch of your life followed by recovery time in prison. it shows absolutely zero compassion for human life at most it seems to rate enough for their potential enjoyment and that's it.

back to your question, it might be slightly dated at this point for some of the more high speed guys here, but when flying in VFR you are not supposed to  even wear sunglasses that have polarized lenses, the idea being that it essentially eliminated the metallic glint or glare that you would normally be able to notice when looking out for other traffic in the area.

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:56:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's fine by me.

no not at all, I believe what he is referring to is how easy it is to catch these mutts with the help of a FLIR equipped chopper. most (not all I know) of these events happen in the evenings or later when its dark. anyone whose seen the vids of these punks can see its obvious that they have no idea the hell that is abou to come tearing ass around the block to cuff and stuff them. They think they are anonymous generally.

this is one of those types of crimes similar to dui where I really and truly believe the punishment should be a beating to within an inch of your life followed by recovery time in prison. it shows absolutely zero compassion for human life at most it seems to rate enough for their potential enjoyment and that's it.

back to your question, it might be slightly dated at this point for some of the more high speed guys here, but when flying in VFR you are not supposed to  even wear sunglasses that have polarized lenses, the idea being that it essentially eliminated the metallic glint or glare that you would normally be able to notice when looking out for other traffic in the area.

I never heard or considered that about spotting traffic, but it makes good sense.  I don't wear polarized glasses because lots of gauges and displays are polarized, and the glasses make them look black.

What I meant about the helicopter is that the idiots with the lasers stand outside and light up whatever flies by.  If the cops respond with a helicopter, chances are good that they'll get lit up, too.  Several of the stories I saw involved pointing a laser at a plane AND a cop chopper.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:27:23 AM EDT
[#33]
More jackassery here: laser attack.

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:55:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
More jackassery here: laser attack.

"The Omaha police helicopter responded and was distracted by a laser while heading in the direction that the airline pilot had reported.

A sheriff's deputy reported that Smith was still aiming the laser pointer in the direction of the helicopter when he walked into the man's backyard near 152nd Street and Nebraska Avenue."

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top