Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/14/2017 11:21:35 AM EDT
Basically, I live at the end of a neighborhood with trees all around my house and neighbors. We experience all the season in WV so it's not like it won't continue to happen. I have been constantly cleaning my gutters out because they get blocked with leaves. Are there any products you guys recommend to block the leaves from getting in the gutters?
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:32:00 AM EDT
[#1]
K guard gutters are the best I've seen.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 3:43:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
K guard gutters are the best I've seen.
View Quote

These?

How do those work in heavy storms? I can't imagine them working as design with anything more than a gentle rain coming down on the roof.

How do you clean them so you don't end with the below picture? I don't care what kind of guards you have on, you may still need to clean them once in a while...
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 3:53:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Nothing works! Leave them open and dont be a bitch. Get up there and clean that sheet out!

Pressure washer works like magic to clean gutters.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 4:04:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I did this in the fall...too long in coming. Hate getting up there to clean gutters every three days in fall. These are the cheapest, yet most effective on the market.

They are aluminum, and i couldn't find a home improvement or supply shop that carries them. I ordered from guttersupply (no connections to me).

I bought the zip screws from them also and put over 300 feet up. I screwed them down, probably overkill, but neighbor's was done like that by a gutter pro.

https://www.guttersupply.com/p-gutter-protection-k-style-drop-in.gstml
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:15:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Nothing works! Leave them open and dont be a bitch. Get up there and clean that sheet out!

Pressure washer works like magic to clean gutters.
View Quote
You can buy an extension with a hook and use it from ground level.  A small garden trowel works too. 
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:56:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a wire mesh over mine. It works very well. Only issue is the house got a new roof earlier this year, all the aggregate filled the gutters. Now I'm slowly taking the expanded metal mesh off to clean out the tiny rocks.
Edit: I can't power wash it out since all of my drains go under ground. It would be a huge mess to have a clog under the ground.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 6:15:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 6:39:07 PM EDT
[#8]
The full gutter covers work.  They still catch water even in heavy rainfall.  I still have to get up on my roof from time to time and blow leaves off the top of the covers.

Sure beats having to scoop wet leaves, acorns and other stuff out of them.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 7:24:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have a wire mesh over mine. It works very well. Only issue is the house got a new roof earlier this year, all the aggregate filled the gutters. Now I'm slowly taking the expanded metal mesh off to clean out the tiny rocks.
Edit: I can't power wash it out since all of my drains go under ground. It would be a huge mess to have a clog under the ground.
View Quote

Related, I spent two days this past fall "shop vacuuming" my underground drains filled with the aggregate. Don't wash that crap down...scoop it out.
I also use the screen covers on my shop gutters and they work well. No trees near my house so cleaning once a year does a good job. And I use the mesh covers over the down hole.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:55:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I just use Stihls gutter cleaning kit on my BG86 hand held blower. It comes with enough tube to reach a second story from the ground.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top