Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2004 10:38:27 AM EDT
Does anybody work in a gunstore, that is not the owner/partner? I've been looking into working at one and the guy behind the counter said it really isn't worth it.
What is the pay like, hours, discounts on guns/ammo, atmosphere?
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:40:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd imagine it varies heavily from shop to shop
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:42:16 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:42:40 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:42:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I know that, I was just wondering on ballpark.
Also do you get commission? Like do I sell a mossberg shottie or try to get them to buy the Benelli?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:51:45 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2

+3

And no,  I dont think comissions are normal.

I only work part time tho.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:52:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Most retail stores start out slightly above minimum wage and go up slowly from there. Some will offset the lower wages with a decent discount on purchases.

The store I worked at full time 12yrs ago was paying me $7.50hr. The asst. manager just 3 yrs ago was making $1600/month - gross. This in a community where gas is $2.05gal/ small apartment is $650 & up. Hell, I'm making $26k/yr now and barely getting by.

You won't make it rich working for someone else in a retail enviroment. But it can be a fun place to work part-time. If you're young and fresh out of college or something give it a try. But keep looking for something better for the long term.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:58:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks, that is the kind of info i was looking for.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:19:53 AM EDT
[#8]
It isn't worth it.

Trust me.

The benifits don't outweigh the downside.

I need to start looking for a REAL job.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:06:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Oh, yeah go work there. Listen to every ex-SEAL tell his MOH story & how all your gun info is dead wrong by his reckoning despite you showing him the catalog. Bust your back loading up for gunshows, setting up, loading back up to go home & then putting everything back in place as before.

All that for no benifits & low pay.

BUT YOU GET TO PLAY WITH GD EXPENSIVE GUNS EVERY DAY!!!!!!!!!  
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:25:13 PM EDT
[#10]
When I worked retail selling guns for a farm/ranch supply store it had it's ups and downs.

On the down side-
The pay sucked.
We only sold new firearms so killer deals weren't overly abundant and there weren't a lot of room for discounts to the customers.
Dealing with some types of people can suck.
No light at the end of the tunnel.  At best, I'd make manager and still have to put up with people that suck and low pay.

On the plus side-

I loved selling guns.

Selling guns was something I was knowledgeable on and I was always more than willing to spend time talking with customers.  If they ain't buying they're talking. If I didn't talk- I'd either be selling or sitting around; so I talked!

Met some great folks.

Received a 15% discount on most items. On the guns- I paid cost.

Got hooked up with some land to shoot critters on.

Since we didn't take in used firearms- I could usually purchase firearms that interested me from the customer for what the competitors offered in trade.  Since these outfits lowballed the sh*t out of the customers trade goods these deals were awesome! (Picked up a SA M1A for Just over $500)

A customer gave me some information on an internet site.. It was, hmm something like- AR15.com.

My main reason for leaving it was the sucky pay and no advancement opportunities. (Face it, you're working retail)  I could see doing it as a second job or something to do part time after I retire.  YMMV.

Sly
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:15:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Since we didn't take in used firearms- I could usually purchase firearms that interested me from the customer for what the competitors offered in trade.  Since these outfits lowballed the sh*t out of the customers trade goods these deals were awesome! (Picked up a SA M1A for Just over $500)

Sly

I know what you mean. I chased more than one customer into the parking lot to offer him $100 more than the dealer just had for his gun.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top