Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2011 2:52:04 PM EDT
Just finished season 1.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:59:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Great show and always had a great moral at the end of every episode..I still love watching them on TV Land
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:10:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Great show and always had a great moral at the end of every episode..I still love watching them on TV Land

Amanda Blake was something in her prime.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:14:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

She'da said yes in a New York Minute!  
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:30:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

...and later on too.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:31:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Used to watch it every week
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:33:28 PM EDT
[#6]
It is the highlight of my day to come home from work to watch Gunsmoke on the Western Channel.

I remember watching it as a child, suffering through the boring parts to get to the action scenes.
Now I have a deeper appreciation of the writing, charachter development, and acting. I feel like Matt, Kitty, Doc, Festus, Chester, and Quint are old friends.

A bit of trivia: the gunfighter in the opening credits collects about $20,000 a year in residuals to this day for that five second  scene.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:45:28 PM EDT
[#7]
With the success True Grit has seen, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Gunsmoke reboot on TV, only to have it ruined like the A-Team movie.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:46:59 PM EDT
[#8]
My dad is modeling his basement after Dillon's office.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:57:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
With the success True Grit has seen, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Gunsmoke reboot on TV, only to have it ruined like the A-Team movie.

Possibly...

From Wikipedia: "In August 2009, CBS announced development of a film version prequel to reboot the series. National Treasure: Book of Secrets writer Gregory Poirier was hired to write the script.[20]"

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:59:03 PM EDT
[#10]
By strange coincidence, I just (five minutes ago) finished watching an episode of HAVE GUN, WILL TRAVEL on Veoh.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:59:28 PM EDT
[#11]
NOPE WRONG

Blazin Saddles.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:05:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Well ol' Marshall Dillon never hung his hat up at Kitty's place.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:08:16 PM EDT
[#13]
The Western Channel shows an old B&W Gunsmoke episode daily, TV Land shows a color episode daily, as does one of the DFW independent stations.

Thank goodness for whoever invented the DVR.

I also enjoy watching the Virginian, the Rifleman, and have the DVD set of "Wanted Dead or Alive" with Steve McQueen.

Lots of great actors appeared on Gunsmoke.

I just bought a liberty model Super Blackhawk and intend to put stag grips on it in honor of Matt Dillon.

James Arness is still alive and has some interviews on Youtube.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:09:46 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Possibly...

From Wikipedia: "In August 2009, CBS announced development of a film version prequel to reboot the series. National Treasure: Book of Secrets writer Gregory Poirier was hired to write the script.[20]"

Please God, no. Don't ruin another classic with some shitty remake. True Grit was good because it wasn't technically a remake.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:16:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The Western Channel shows an old B&W Gunsmoke episode daily, TV Land shows a color episode daily, as does one of the DFW independent stations.

Thank goodness for whoever invented the DVR.

I also enjoy watching the Virginian, the Rifleman, and have the DVD set of "Wanted Dead or Alive" with Steve McQueen.

Lots of great actors appeared on Gunsmoke.

I just bought a liberty model Super Blackhawk and intend to put stag grips on it in honor of Matt Dillon.

James Arness is still alive and has some interviews on Youtube.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:27:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Watching Gunsmoke growing up I learned that there are 3 rules that one doesn't dare break in Dodge City

1. Don't fuck with Matt Dillon;

2. Dont fuck with Matt Dillon;

and,

3. Don't fuck with Matt Dillon.

Doing so got you an ass whopping at best, or killed, at worst.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:31:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Actually the best western series was Have Gun- Will Travel.
Great acting by Richard Boone and intelligent, well-written story lines.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:31:57 PM EDT
[#18]
I always like how they glossed over what Miss Kitty's girls DID in that saloon.

Festus was my favorite character.  A spitting image of my granpa, right down to the limp.

What was the name of a western that started about the same time?  The opening credits showed a disgraced  officer being drummed out of the army?

ETA found it.  "Branded" with Chuck Connors.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV-7D4io1Rs
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:35:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Just watched 3 episodes tonight. I DVR that and Have gun will travel whenever they're on.
The radio show was better but the TV show was pretty good.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:38:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I always like how they glossed over what Miss Kitty's girls DID in that saloon.

Festus was my favorite character.  A spitting image of my granpa, right down to the limp.

What was the name of a western that started about the same time?  The opening credits showed a disgraced  officer being drummed out of the army?

BRANDED starring Chuck Connors?
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:42:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Actually the best western series was Have Gun- Will Travel.
Great acting by Richard Boone and intelligent, well-written story lines.

Agreed, and not as constrained to one location like Gunsmoke.  I really wish they'd go ahead and release the rest of the seasons on DVD.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:02:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Great show !!
But don't forget Wild Wild West.......The TV show not that steaming pile of shit movie they made.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top