Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2004 9:05:01 PM EDT
I'm kind of interested in this as a possible career choice.  

So, what do you all know about gunsmithing schools?  Is there very much money in it?  Is the work hard to find, or how hard would it be to get a smithing business started?  What are the good schools?  Do any of you have any experience going to one?

Whatever information you all can give me is appreciated.  It's something I've been considering lately.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:07:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's me, wishing I had 20 bucks to give to Goatboy so I could get this topic tagged, because I, too, have been considering this.

I guess I'll just have to settle for bookmarking it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:15:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Colorado School of Mines is thre oldest Smithing school in US and top -notch!

Running the Biz is a feed or famine game it seems, probably need to get with a store till you build  a reputation.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:42:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I was thinking the same thing about a year ago. There are schools in Pittsburg, Denver, Colorado Springs.....

Q:What is the diffrence between a gunsmith and a large pizza?
A: A large pizza can feed a family of four!

Seriously though, I have great respect for gunsmiths. From what I could gather making good money is the exception rather than the norm. People do it because they love it, not to get rich. I say go for it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:22:52 AM EDT
[#4]
My local gunsmith is always covered up in work. A *good* 'smith can make a nice living, IMO.

As the others said, the CO School of Trades (I don't think the mine school has it) is the one to go to.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:35:55 AM EDT
[#5]
There is a very good school in at Lassen College in Lassen county California.  I believe it is one of the top rated in the Country.

As far as work, the good gunsmiths always have more work than they can do and you must wait.
As for the bad ones they usualy still have work.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:42:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't do it.  Seriously.  Your clients are douche bags.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top