Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2002 12:20:27 PM EDT
Guns Save Lives.  

We know this.  But some in the general public don't.

So here's your chance to PROVE that guns save lives, by finding a treatment for anthrax.

United Devices (homepage: [URL]http://members.ud.com/home.htm[/URL] )
has a free screensaver download which uses your computer's unused cpu time to find an anthrax inhibitor, which could then be used to save lives in any future anthrax attack.  Better yet, they allow teams to be created.  I've just created a team called 'Guns Save Lives' - download the screensaver, join the team, and save more lives than any gun law ever could!

Download the software from
[URL]http://members.ud.com/projects/anthrax/[/URL]

or if you have problems downloading the software from there, try going to
[URL]http://www.intel.com/cure/[/URL]
and clicking the 'United Devices Anthrax Research' link in the yellow box on the upper right hand side.

(Edited to fix link and add an alternate URL)

Edited again to add this link to join the team AFTER you have downloaded, installed and set up the software:
[URL]http://members.ud.com/services/teams/team.htm?id=1A74BC7B-FCA4-41AD-9E9D-4F2705C4DC5C[/URL]
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 12:26:09 PM EDT
[#1]
"You have requested a page that does not exist or no longer exists on our site. Please verify the URL address you have entered is correct and try your request again."
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 12:33:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 12:39:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
there is already a viable treatment for anthrax as well as a functional vaccine. I'm not real sure what they are working on. Tried to look at the link but got the same error.
View Quote

Possum is not the other white meat; pork is the other white meat.  Since Baby is the other, other white meat, possum would be regulated to the other,other,other white meat save for the fact that possum is dark and greasy.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 12:44:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
there is already a viable treatment for anthrax as well as a functional vaccine. I'm not real sure what they are working on. Tried to look at the link but got the same error.
View Quote

The vaccine has some issues, not least that it isn't generally available.  The treatments currently available are large doses of less than a handful of potent antibiotics, all of which kill the bug once treatment has been given, but they do nothing to inhibit the actual workings of the toxins that bacillus anthracis creates while alive in the body.  

What these guys are working on is a mathematical simulation of what compounds, among 3.5 billion possible models, might be able to prevent the actual toxins that the anthrax bacillus produces from being able to enter cells and cause damage.  It's not a vaccine so we don't have to vaccinate everyone; it's not an antibiotic so we don't have to worry about antibiotic-resistant strains; they're working on the actual inhibition of the toxins that the anthrax bacilli produce and that actually cause the deaths of anthrax victims.

Sorry about the links - I've corrected them and they all function OK for me now.

(Edited many timez cuz I can't spel)
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 6:39:26 AM EDT
[#5]
btt

C'mon guys - what do you do with YOUR computer when you're not using it?  This is a chance to show the antis we're better computer users, more numerous, and more motivated to help society.

Edited to add this link to the actual science of the matter, courtesy of Oxford University:
[URL]http://www.chem.ox.ac.uk/anthrax/questions.htm[/URL]
Note that this project is only expected to run for a FEW WEEKS - at which point, one of the quickest and most effective treatments for the bioweapons which currently threaten us might have been developed, thanks to our efforts.  Where's the AR15 Army when the world calls upon it?!

[(:)]
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 10:59:50 AM EDT
[#6]
OK, last time I BTT this one I promise.  I really thought I'd get more action here - this research has the potential to massively swing things in our favor against any terrorist attackers who happen to be armed with anthrax.  

I've just returned from a chitchat with a researcher at a hush-hush high security Level 4 biolab - the only such lab operating in our country.  He hadn't yet heard of this cutting edge research but seemed VERY impressed by the potential.

It's not like I'm asking you guys to compose a 10 page letter to your elected representatives - just download the program, join the team and run it for a few weeks.  If ANY of those 3.5 billion compounds show promise, we'll have helped to make the world safer from mass biological attack.  And if no such critter is found, we'll still have assisted in a massive effort to eliminate 3.5 billion possibilities from the search.

Is the AR15.com Army with me on this?
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 11:06:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top