Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2003 4:48:50 PM EDT
My company may be transfering me to Hawaii in the next year.  Can anyone tell me about the gun laws, CCW, AR's etc.?
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 4:53:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My company may be transfering me to Hawaii in the next year.  Can anyone tell me about the gun laws, CCW, AR's etc.?
View Quote

Let me put it this way,

[size=6][red][b]YOU'RE FUCKED![/b][/red][/size=6]

[size=5][green][b]And that's coming form a guy in Jersey[/b][/green][/size=5]

Link Posted: 5/25/2003 4:57:36 PM EDT
[#2]
[url]http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws.asp?FormMode=Detail&R=HI[/url]
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 4:59:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Lol, its true.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 5:01:39 PM EDT
[#4]
It is unlawful to possess or carry a loaded firearm on any public highway without a permit to carry. Exemptions:

Law enforcement officers, [red]mail carriers[/red], and members of military forces.4
View Quote

[size=6]mail carriers? WTF?[/size=6]
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 5:01:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I think you have to register everything with the police.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 5:06:16 PM EDT
[#6]

From what I hear from a Honolulu PD Detective I went to a school with, the Chief of Police is pretty much an Anti and they have the say. He almost never approves permits without a very specific, immediate reason. Of course his jurisdiction is basically THE jurisdiction so the minor one follow suit.

We were in Atlanta for 3 months and we were all shocked that he came to the Mainland with no weapon. The other 8 of us were strapped the whole time more or less. It really sounds like it is a different world there.

It is not like you would not need one. Armed robberies, assaults, muggings and rapes are on the rise as the class divide widens there.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 5:12:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
[url]http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws.asp?FormMode=Detail&R=HI[/url]
View Quote

Thanks jrzy, that was quite an interesting read.  You have to register ammunition! I wonder if they mean each round?  3.5k of .223 is going to take some paperwork. I moved out of Maryland to get away from that shit!  Paradise my ass, I'll be turnin down that job promotion oppurtunity ASAP!
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 5:36:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Let me tell ya how it goes.  It's not as bad as they're making it out to be.  I guess it depends on where you're coming from.

100% registration.  when you move in i think you have 10 days or so to take what you have to the honolulu downtown hpd and register it.  they just type up a form and you get a copy.

highway, only time firearms can be in the car is when you are going to or from the range or hunting or trading,  making a sale or what ever.

no concealed carry.

restrictions.  basically the only thing you can't have is what are considered assault pistols.  tec9, uzi, cobray, you get the picture.  if you had them here already when they banned em, you can keep em but not transfer them.  so when you die they go to the state or out of state tranfer only.

you can have ar15, ak, m1a, sks, and alot of other fun stuff.  

magazine restrictions, basically it goes like this.  no mags over 10rds if they fit in a pistol.  like ar mags ya can't have cause they can fit in an ar assault pistol.  10/22 high caps ya can't have cause they fit in a tec9.  get where i'm going?  you can have m1a high caps, mini 14 high caps, ak high caps.  so long as they don't make a pistol that will accept the rifle mag you are ok.   if you have high caps they're supposed to be blocked to only hold 10.  not a plug either but like a rivet.  misdemeanor to possess high caps(unless blocked), felony to put em in a firearm.

purchasing, long guns require a long gun permit.  14 day wait, after the 14 days you get a permit that is good for one year.  you can walk in any store and buy long guns on the spot with that permit.  you then have 3 days to register what ever you bought.  after one year, get new permit.

hand guns is 14 day wait and background check.  it goes like this.  go to the store.  show proof of either hunter ed or nra instruction course.  pay for firearm.  take hunter ed or nra course and gun info from the shop to hpd.  apply for permit to aquire that particular handgun.  after 14 days go back hpd pick up approval.  take approval back to shop and pick up already paid for firearm.  take firearm back to hpd and register it.

1st time purchase whether long gun or hand gun pays one time $25 fbi background check fee.  if you bring guns in you don't have to pay.  just register them.

there is a great public shooting complex at koko head crater.  they have silouette shooting, rifle range, hand gun, trap, skeet, cowboy action, and ipsc.

hope this helps.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 5:44:00 PM EDT
[#9]
StoneTemple didn't you start this out?

Quoted:
Let me tell ya how it goes.  It's not as bad as they're making it out to be.
View Quote

It doesn't get much worse then that.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 5:47:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Let me tell ya how it goes.  It's not as bad as they're making it out to be.  I guess it depends on where you're coming from.

100% registration.  when you move in i think you have 10 days or so to take what you have to the honolulu downtown hpd and register it.  they just type up a form and you get a copy.

highway, only time firearms can be in the car is when you are going to or from the range or hunting or trading,  making a sale or what ever.

no concealed carry.

restrictions.  basically the only thing you can't have is what are considered assault pistols.  tec9, uzi, cobray, you get the picture.  if you had them here already when they banned em, you can keep em but not transfer them.  so when you die they go to the state or out of state tranfer only.

you can have ar15, ak, m1a, sks, and alot of other fun stuff.  

magazine restrictions, basically it goes like this.  no mags over 10rds if they fit in a pistol.  like ar mags ya can't have cause they can fit in an ar assault pistol.  10/22 high caps ya can't have cause they fit in a tec9.  get where i'm going?  you can have m1a high caps, mini 14 high caps, ak high caps.  so long as they don't make a pistol that will accept the rifle mag you are ok.   if you have high caps they're supposed to be blocked to only hold 10.  not a plug either but like a rivet.  misdemeanor to possess high caps(unless blocked), felony to put em in a firearm.

purchasing, long guns require a long gun permit.  14 day wait, after the 14 days you get a permit that is good for one year.  you can walk in any store and buy long guns on the spot with that permit.  you then have 3 days to register what ever you bought.  after one year, get new permit.

hand guns is 14 day wait and background check.  it goes like this.  go to the store.  show proof of either hunter ed or nra instruction course.  pay for firearm.  take hunter ed or nra course and gun info from the shop to hpd.  apply for permit to aquire that particular handgun.  after 14 days go back hpd pick up approval.  take approval back to shop and pick up already paid for firearm.  take firearm back to hpd and register it.

1st time purchase whether long gun or hand gun pays one time $25 fbi background check fee.  if you bring guns in you don't have to pay.  just register them.

there is a great public shooting complex at koko head crater.  they have silouette shooting, rifle range, hand gun, trap, skeet, cowboy action, and ipsc.

hope this helps.
View Quote

Ummm that's got to be the worst gun laws of any state in the US. Remind me to never move to your beautiful state- vist maybe, live NO.

CRC
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 5:57:44 PM EDT
[#11]
it's not as bad as kalifornia.  at least i don't think so.  we're pretty close though.

i sold a handgun to a guy in VA last month.  now that sounds like a horror story.  one gun a month, then he told me about trying to buy an ar and having to come up with 3 forms of id and all this other stuff.  at least VA has ccw though.

you don't have to register ammo.  i don't know where that came from.

i'm originally from florida.  i have florida ccw.  so believe me, i know the good life.

and yes, crime is def on the rise here.  you can thank "ice"(smokeable crystal meth)  for that!

Link Posted: 5/25/2003 6:02:55 PM EDT
[#12]
hawaii sucks!

i live in michigan to stay away from that crap. while the surf, weather, snobby asians, & tourist creeps wear your nerves after a while; i'll be snuggling with my HK's.

the place is beautiful, but damn, that'll only get you so far.

good luck! i couldn't do it.

Link Posted: 5/25/2003 6:27:45 PM EDT
[#13]
If the PD has the final say so...how are the cops on the big Island..or Maui or Kauai?
we may end up there as well
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 6:46:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
hawaii sucks!

i live in michigan to stay away from that crap. while the surf, weather, snobby asians, & tourist creeps wear your nerves after a while; i'll be snuggling with my HK's.

View Quote

Your an idiot.

I live in San Diego, California and you have no clue what your talking about. Yes, the gun laws suck real bad here but I'll break a little secret to you, guns are not everything; quality of life is. I live in a part of the world that gets about 340 days of sunshine a year with only a couple of hot weeks a year. It's mild in the winter, and nice in the summer. I have lived in San Luis Obisipo,Ca, Chico,Ca and Seattle,Wa. Living in nice weather all year around is something you don't understand. I wake everyday and open up the windows and can guess at 90% rate sucess rate that the weather will be good.

While your ass is freezing in the middle of the winter, I am riding a mountian bike alround San Diego. So don't give me your, "I've got guns to keep me warm" attitude!

Just remember, the liberals will leave office one day.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 6:51:06 PM EDT
[#15]
i'd go to maui if i were you.  maui no ka oi!!

not sure about the other island pd.  they are their own county.  there is honolulu, maui, hawaii(big island) and kauai counties.  each county pd chief has the power to issue ccw.

as far as i know, only the governor and the honolulu pd chief's sister has ever had ccw here.  

there is a public range on maui, not as big as kokohead though.  big island and kauai have no public ranges.

same purchasing and registration rules above apply to the neighbor counties.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 7:01:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
While your ass is freezing in the middle of the winter, I am riding a mountian bike alround San Diego. So don't give me your, "I've got guns to keep me warm" attitude!

View Quote

I'm sorry, this is unrealistic.  Can you think of one gun ban that has ever been repealed in this country?  (AWB 94 doesn't count; it expires.)  Things don't get better.  If you're counting on conservatives to regain control of CA and repeal the crappy gun laws, you're deluding yourself.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 7:11:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks StoneTemple...wife lived in Honolulu
for a few years...my dad was in the Navy for 25 he and my mom lived on Oahu I missed being born there by about 2 weeks..
Been there once or twice..R&R in '69
Itching to get back..
thanks for the info...
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 7:17:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
hawaii sucks!

View Quote

Your an idiot.

I live in San Diego, California and you have no clue what your talking about. Yes, the gun laws suck real bad here but I'll break a little secret to you, guns are not everything; quality of life is. I live in a part of the world that gets about 340 days of sunshine a year with only a couple of hot weeks a year. It's mild in the winter, and nice in the summer. I have lived in San Luis Obisipo,Ca, Chico,Ca and Seattle,Wa. Living in nice weather all year around is something you don't understand. I wake everyday and open up the windows and can guess at 90% rate sucess rate that the weather will be good.

View Quote

You think we envy you because of a little sunshine?
You can keep all your sunshine and bloods and crypts too.
Cali should fall into the ocean as long as the gun lovers like most of us here get out first,you can stay if you wish with all that sunshine and smog and earthquakes and about a 100 more things others will add to this list.
Are you sure you are on the right board?
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 8:52:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Your an idiot.

View Quote

I guess you haven't heard of a little place called Arizona?

Awesome gun laws and a low cost of living.  Phoenix gets real fucking hot in July and August.  Rest of the summer isn't too hot. If cant take the heat, you can move to the mountains.

Did I mention you can buy a 3000 sq foot house for under $250,000 here?

Chances of the liberals loosing power in Californa are pretty slim.  Won't happen in the next 10 years, that is for damn sure.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 9:02:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Oh man, Hawaii.  Hawaii's nice for a few days but it gets old very fast for me. The giant cockroaches, ants everywhere, the heat, the prices......I dont like it.  

And HI is extremely Democratic.  Their public school system (the only state-wide school system in the country) is a disaster. A lot of 21 year old high school seniors, from what I hear. If you're a haole, unless you want your kid beaten up every day, you put them in private schools.

I've been there plenty of times.  A lot of people like my sister (who goes there 3x a year) seem to love Hawaii.  It holds no charms for me.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 12:36:44 AM EDT
[#21]
I have lived in Hawaii most of my life.  I have to say that this place is headed for disaster.  Having as much as a 3 inch blade knife will land you in hand cuffs.  How ever if you get a bunch of friends and go over and beat a man to death it's all cool.  This place defies logic.  The poliiticians and union leaders controll every thing.  We all know they are theives but the people are so used to being ripped off they just accept it as a fact of life.  The system is be a friend of a person in power.  That is the only way you get a job or any thing else here.  Complete caste society.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 1:04:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Guess I now know why Magnum P.I. left his freakin .45 at home most of the time, lol...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top