Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2009 8:27:20 AM EDT
Just curious what I need to do to get my firearms insured, or do I need to go thru my homeowners? What do you guys use and if you did put them on your homeowners how much did your policy increase. Obviously this will differ based on the collection. Just curious as to what everyone else is doing....
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:31:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I have about $5K in firearms insurance on my Farmers Insurance homeowners policy.  I increased that amount with a firearms rider that cost me an additional $40/yr for another $5K and it looks like I'll need to bump it up another $5K here shortly....
I also have firearm insurance through the NRA.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:31:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:55:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I was with state farm for several years, guns was always an issue with me, they wanted nearly what my annual household premium was for the additional rider..so I usually bought elsewhere, wives likes state farm. I placed a claim once with state farm, water heater went kaput while I was out of town. they paid grudgingly and I had to negotiate to get the carpets replaced,, second time I made a claim after Dallas had MILLIONS in damages from HUGE hail storms,,they paid, then CANCELD ME with no notice, I was 2 weeks with out insurance with out knowledge, thank God nothing happend,,but, 2 weeks no coverage, someone could have fallen on my property, house could have burned down etc...
fuck state farm

with my new place, I went with Farmers, as I am a tad more RURAL,,they didnt blink, , I asked for riders, 10k for guns,  
got them with no questions asked and I pay about $100 a month, full replacement cost on all, house and contents,,FULL REPLACMENT COST coverage.6 yr old flat screen gets stolen I get he price of a new flat screen..

I told state farm to go pound sand years ago and would advise others to shop if they are with them...just my 2cnts..
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:02:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Checked with my agent and they wanted original receipts, serial numbers etc and the cost was kinda high. I Know there is A record of what I have, but damn I don't want multiple records!!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:14:11 AM EDT
[#5]
NRA has their insurance. They are much more discreet than your typical homeowners policy.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:18:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Amica will drop you if they find out that you have black rifles.

Which is a shame because they have low rates and excellent customer service.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:19:34 AM EDT
[#7]
what will the nra insurance cost?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:25:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

<snip>  second time I made a claim .................. then CANCELD ME with no notice

I told state farm to go pound sand years ago and would advise others to shop if they are with them...just my 2cnts..

Most insurers will cancel you after two claims within a specific time span (or they will raise your rates to painful levels).  Two claims puts you into a much higher risk group for third and subsequent claims and insurers (all of them) exist to effectively manage risk and turn a profit.  Nothing that happened to you is unique to State Farm.  Sucks if you have multiple claims - but those are the facts.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:36:30 AM EDT
[#9]
I use Allstate.  I've got an older policy where firearms are covered the same as household goods.  No extra riders/premiums required.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:44:16 AM EDT
[#10]
My State Farm policy covers firearms without paying an additional rider.  The line in the contract says something like "will cover replacement cost on firearms up to $10K" with some wording on how they don't cover collectibles.  Since I own far less than $10k in firearms and nothing considered a collectible, I'm good to go.

One thing to note is the home I own is a Condo, not a traditional single family home.  If you are looking at the technicalities of the policy it is, in reality, the same exact thing as renters insurance.  It simply covers my belongings, not the structure of the house (since that is covered by the building's HOA policy).  I pay about $12 per month for this policy since it is coupled with my life and auto insurance through them as well.

YMMV
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:46:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
what will the nra insurance cost?

http://www.locktonrisk.com/nrains/armscare.asp
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:47:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I asked my homeowners (State Farm), but it would have required a separate rider and was very expensive.

So, I went through the insurance offered through the NRA, which was a lot cheaper - but it still ended up being more than I wanted to spend - so after the first year I bought a decent safe instead (for about what 3-4 years of insurance payments would have cost me).

This and I do not feel ok with giving out info to any company on what weapons I own and were they are located. Does not take much for any Government official to request that info in the name of safety. If I invest in a very good safe they will be protected from fire and theft.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:52:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Get a good safe.  Do not rely on an insurance company.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:04:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Firearms are considered part of your personal propety for covered losses. Most homeowners policies include a specified amount of coverage for the THEFT of firearms, usually $1-5K. You can buy additional coverage that has split limits. For example $20,000 total with no one gun over $5000. $30-$40 per year.

The other way is Scheduled Personal Property that covers a specific item for any loss with a seperate deductible. More costly, based on the cost of the item.

I tell all my clients the best insurance is a good safe and DO NOT LEAVE THEM IN A VEHICLE. It's amazing how many have been stolen out of the driveway at night.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:29:44 PM EDT
[#15]
1.74$ per 100$ insured doesn't seem bad at ALL.

I am shocked I thought it would be much more.

Doesn't cover ammo though
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:31:51 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm insured through American Family.  My rep told me that without documentation, I got $2000 of coverage for firearms.  She said with documentation (meaning pictures of the guns and their value on a CD) that I have full replacement coverage.  Either way, they're in a safe and it's not something I lose much sleep over.  If I had a house fire, I'd rather lose all of my guns than any of my dogs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top