Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2015 1:54:46 PM EDT
That seems to be the mantra around here, is it not ?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:55:36 PM EDT
to a point, then you get into diminishing returns

and you have to balance against your usage, if you are concerned about the cost.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:57:31 PM EDT
You can apply it to anything you buy, not just gun related.  

Everyone will have opinions and there is also a point where the difference in quality doesn't physically equal the difference in cost as said above (diminishing returns).

As a general statement I would say yes, but it all depends on what your end use is and what features/qualities you require.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:57:59 PM EDT
I think the real point is that buying the absolute cheapest item you can find is not a good plan.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:01:08 PM EDT
Like everything else, there are two rules.

1) expense is not always indicative of quality. (Even though higher quality items are often more expensive, not all expensive items are quality).
2) law of diminishing returns.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:03:04 PM EDT
I'd say spending $500-1000 can get you 97%   Each percent after that costs a thousand more.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:03:27 PM EDT
Optics , yes.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:30:11 PM EDT
fuck no

1 buy the best you can afford what ever it is..buy once cry once..
2. some tier 2 stuff works as well, often times, better and holds up just as well.
3 some tier 1 has quality control issues as they suddenly became "the one"or the sub out the work and it goes to shite
4 I have a 1911 for you, its a custom, TOP OF THE LINE,,,it's $5000 plus shipping...it's the best, honest..
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:32:03 PM EDT
I prefer a $60 BAD-ASS over a $3 GI selector
I prefer a $21 magpul foregrip over a $90 tango down QD.

YMMV
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:37:27 PM EDT
It isn't unique to guns and accessories.  Whether it's guns, cars, electronics, booze, or hookers - better stuff generally costs you more money.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

and you have to balance against your usage, if you are concerned about the cost.
View Quote

Just because there are diminishing returns doesn't mean it isn't better.  It's generally still better, just not twice as good for twice the price.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:45:04 PM EDT
yes and no just depends on what I want.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:47:35 PM EDT
Maybe but I personally find that there comes a point where the value to me quickly becomes less and less.

An AI AX with Nightforce optic sounds awesome!  The massive price tag and my use for one aren't on the same scale.  Win the lottery money, sure thing.  In my real world use, the Ruger Precision Rifle with Vortex glass would be more then enough.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:48:14 PM EDT
Double tap
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:50:14 PM EDT
Some things are stupidly priced due to the gov using them

My ELCAN is a perfect example.

Its simply $500 - $800 overpriced IMHO.

But man, it does have great glass and nice features
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:50:35 PM EDT
Generally you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:51:25 PM EDT
"Muh Nightforce!"

No, seriously.......Muh Nightforce! Love my two.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:51:31 PM EDT
Quantifying better for some things often comes down to the superficial and assuming a more expensive product will last longer.

Generally yes though, at least to a point.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:54:21 PM EDT
In before someone says you can only pay up to $600 for an optic....

Because you can get a new Aimpoint T1 at that price

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:55:35 PM EDT
Quoted:
It isn't unique to guns and accessories.  Whether it's guns, cars, electronics, booze, or hookers - better stuff generally costs you more money.

Just because there are diminishing returns doesn't mean it isn't better.  It's generally still better, just not twice as good for twice the price.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

well with military gear you can argue that more expensive is actually worse some times.

some items are made to be more rugged, that adds weight, with clothing and other gear its the same more durable means heavier.

i try and live in the mid range, as that tends to be the best bang for the buck like has been said 97% of the performance for 1/3 the price.

so my red dot wont survive a fall out of an airplane, but the good news is neither will I.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:56:43 PM EDT
My brother says his NC-Star is just as good as my Aimpoints.

He also says you'd need a freezer the size of the Super Dome to hold all the deer he's "kilt."
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:57:17 PM EDT
Yes.  The most important term is VALUE.

All these discussions about quality and cost ignore the fact that for most people cost is the key limiting factor.  We'd all like to have the highest quality everything but almost none of us can afford it.  Thus we look for the ideal ratio of cost vs quality aka Value.  

There are plenty of items that can do 90+% of the "top" brands for 50% of the cost.  That's value, and it's far harder to find than just buying the cheapest or the most expensive of everything.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:59:46 PM EDT
Quoted:
I'd say spending $500-1000 can get you 97%   Each percent after that costs a thousand more.
View Quote

Perfectly true.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:12:55 PM EDT
depends, lowers you typically paying more for a roll mark or aesthetics.

sometimes two products will be exactly the same but you will pay more for the name on it.

better things usually will cost more but higher cost does not always equal better.

you have to know what you want why it's better and why it costs more. Don't buy something more expensive just cause you think it's better know the difference.

like the difference between a leupold vx1 and vx3

Leupold VX-I lenses was produced with Multicoat technology and provided 86% of light transmission. Main tube was made from 2 pieces, had classic focus eyepiece and tactile power indicator. Adjustments performed with micro friction of ¼ MOA through 52 MOA range.

Leupold VX-III was made from premium high quality glass. Lenses were covered with index matched coating that provided 98% of light transmission. Main tube was made from single piece. Adjustments were performed by finger tips with ¼ MOA clicks. 1” main tube had 58 MOA adjustment range, while models with 30 mm tube had 116 MOA range. VX-III scopes were equipped with fast focus lockable eyepiece and tactile power indicator with range estimation.
View Quote

If none of that means squat to you get the vx1
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:26:23 PM EDT
Quoted:
In before someone says you can only pay up to $600 for an optic....

Because you can get a new Aimpoint T1 at that price

View Quote

$493 (Trijicon MRO)
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:29:17 PM EDT
I have a Vortex optic on one of my ARs and an Israeli red dot on my Tavor...........both seem like quality optics, and the price was very good
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:30:54 PM EDT
Acog says yes.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:32:19 PM EDT
Quoted:
I have a Vortex optic on one of my ARs and an Israeli red dot on my Tavor...........both seem like quality optics, and the price was very good
View Quote

What kind? I remember seeing an advertisement video for some Israeli made red dot that claims it is better than Aimpoint or Eotech. They were comparing it to them. I can't remember the name.
An error occurred on the server when processing the URL. Please contact the system administrator.

If you are the system administrator please click here to find out more about this error.