Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/8/2002 10:20:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/8/2002 10:34:05 AM EDT by kill-9]
From [url]http://www.wtop.com/index.php?sid=10099&nid=25[/url]: "Police removed seven weapons from the house, a book and a computer. [...] Police have not charged the Bowie man with any crime. [...] Channel 9 reports a tip from the community led police to the home." Oh, boy...here we go. Can you say "witch hunt"? -kill-9
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 10:25:30 AM EDT
At least they didn't call it a "cache" or "arsenal".
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 10:26:12 AM EDT
Well this is interesting...
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 10:26:58 AM EDT
Woo hoo! What are you all going to do if this starts happening to the regulars here who live in MD? The computer seizure explains the increase in traffic here.
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 10:30:31 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 10:30:44 AM EDT
even if innocent of any crime that property is GONE FOREVER.
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 10:33:46 AM EDT
People always say once the police take your guns for any reason they are "gone forever" I personally have recovered 12 firearms that were taken from my grandfather when the police were checking on his welfare (he was having delusions related to a mild stroke). This was in Rockland County NY no less (NYC burb)
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 10:34:31 AM EDT
Originally Posted By WofWof: even if innocent of any crime that property is GONE FOREVER.
View Quote
Wouldn't this be considered an act of state sponsored terrorism?
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 10:35:50 AM EDT
Well if that's the case... let it be known that I sold all my rifles and pistols....at least those of which I didn't lose in the lake last weekend while duck hunting. [;)]
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 10:36:58 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Imbroglio: Woo hoo! What are you all going to do if this starts happening to the regulars here who live in MD? The computer seizure explains the increase in traffic here.
View Quote
Yup, I live in MD...I told my wife yesterday, I'll bet you the police come knocking on our door w/ in the next month...."Hello Sir, can we have a few words with you" I can see it now... IF I am not mistaken that would be profiling..... I really can't understand why it's ok to profile US Citizens, in there home, and not NON-Citizens in the Airports....WTF is wrong w/ the country...I guess Citizens dont have feelings, just foks from overseas...[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 10:37:01 AM EDT
Originally Posted By kill-9: From [url]http://www.wtop.com/index.php?sid=10099&nid=25[/url]: "Police removed seven weapons from the house, a book and a computer. [...] Police have not charged the Bowie man with any crime. [...] [red]Channel 9 reports a tip from the community led police to the home."[/red] Oh, boy...here we go. Can you say "witch hunt"? -kill-9
View Quote
What do you think of "Operation Tips" now???? Hmmmmmmm???
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 10:37:35 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 10:42:08 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ANGST: People always say once the police take your guns for any reason they are "gone forever" I personally have recovered 12 firearms that were taken from my grandfather when the police were checking on his welfare (he was having delusions related to a mild stroke). This was in Rockland County NY no less (NYC burb)
View Quote
How much did it cost you in lawyer fees and court costes to get them back?
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 10:42:34 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Big_Bear: Any word that they seized a trombone case too? [rolleyes]
View Quote
No, but they have tested the "Skin Flute" they recovered a few days back.
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 10:46:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/8/2002 10:47:52 AM EDT by bountyhunter]
Originally Posted By Imbroglio: Woo hoo! What are you all going to do if this starts happening to the regulars here who live in MD? The computer seizure explains the increase in traffic here.
View Quote
I see law enforcement seizing computers more and more, this is becoming standard operating procedure.
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 10:50:28 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Sixgun357: How much did it cost you in lawyer fees and court costes to get them back?
View Quote
nothing , zero, zilch , nada
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 10:50:43 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 10:57:57 AM EDT
Police have not charged the Bowie man with any crime. The investigation continues.
View Quote
Okay, could someone clue me in on how they can confiscate property in such a manner without a warrant? Or is it such that you can get a search order like that without a warrant?
Wilson said his office is not targeting people who own guns.
View Quote
Ah, yes....asking people to call in if they know someone who owns an AR/.223 weapon...calling if you see a gun case, confiscating property without arrest/warrant. SUUURRRREE you're not...
"We had probable cause that a crime could be occurring," he said.
View Quote
Yep, and I have probable cause that you could be a jackboot. Yep, this one smacks of witchhunt...
Originally Posted By ANGST: nothing , zero, zilch , nada
View Quote
I'm glad you didn't go through the hassle, but it DOES happen. If it's still around, search for the thread on what oneshot went through with his confiscation experience. I wonder if he ever tallied just how much that 'evidence' sticker cost....
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 11:15:34 AM EDT
Hardcase....they do these things using the same rules that allow them to search and detain you when you enter an airport..the rule that says the ones with the guns make the rules.
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 11:31:21 AM EDT
Do you think they know about the Maryland AR15 Shooters site.
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 11:34:39 AM EDT
I think they do now... [:)]
Originally Posted By monkeyman: Do you think they know about the Maryland AR15 Shooters site.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 11:38:03 AM EDT
So what has happened with this? Have they found anything or was this just another dead end.
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 11:39:46 AM EDT
Originally Posted By hard-case:
Police have not charged the Bowie man with any crime. The investigation continues.
View Quote
Okay, could someone clue me in on how they can confiscate property in such a manner without a warrant? Or is it such that you can get a search order like that without a warrant? ...
View Quote
Due to precedents set due to the War on Drugs, property can be siezed without charges being filed against the property's owner. Instead, the property is charged with a crime.
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 11:41:03 AM EDT
The news report I saw said the man did not have a .223 caliber weapon.
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 11:42:59 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ProfessorEvil: The news report I saw said the man did not have a .223 caliber weapon.
View Quote
Do you have a link for that?
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 11:43:02 AM EDT
My understanding is that they [i]did[/i] have a search warrant. Based on what probable cause, I have no idea. But the radio report I heard today did say that the cops had executed a search warrant.
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 12:05:35 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ANGST:
Originally Posted By Sixgun357: How much did it cost you in lawyer fees and court costes to get them back?
View Quote
View Quote
That is the first I have heard that it did not cost money to get back guns the cops took from someone. You were lucky I have heard stories where people had to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars in legal and court costes. Then go thru headaches trying to get police to release guns.
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 12:08:29 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Sixgun357: That is the first I have heard that it did not cost money to get back guns the cops took from someone. You were lucky I have heard stories where people had to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars in legal and court costes. Then go thru headaches trying to get police to release guns.
View Quote
Generally if all goes well then you don't hear about it , its just not interesting :)
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 12:27:28 PM EDT
Just goes to show you that anytime cops come to your door or pull you over and ask to look inside or come inside your house, tell them "NO". Don't answer any questions. If they insist, ask them if you are under arrest of if they have a warrant. If they don't, tell them to please leave your property and you are not going to answer any questions unless your lawyer is present. Then close the door.
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 12:49:39 PM EDT
just remember guys that the only freedoms we have are those we are willing to die and kill for, regardless of who tries to take them away. regardless
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 12:56:21 PM EDT
woohoo Hunter heil hitler is back and once again advocating the killing of LEO's. Don't you know when to shut-up. There is so much traffic now that you have most certainly been noted and traced. Run and hide.
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 2:53:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/8/2002 2:56:35 PM EDT by NOVA5]
Originally Posted By LARRYG:
View Quote
Okay, could someone clue me in on how they can confiscate property in such a manner without a warrant? Or is it such that you can get a search order like that without a warrant? ...
View Quote
Due to precedents set due to the War on Drugs, property can be siezed without charges being filed against the property's owner. Instead, the property is charged with a crime.
View Quote
that makes no sense. the inanimate item has no ability to act on its own(a computer can "seem" to act on their own but its really just a program driving them) and therfore cannot commit a crime. *mutters* how do they get away with this garbage? one needs to store ones important data on a hidden PC linked to the main pc via network. data secure. thugs take the PC.. ohwell out few hundred bucks and reload time. but if they didnt find the hidden PC your data is safe. ...uhoh... i hear them knocking at my door...
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 3:29:27 PM EDT
Originally Posted By liberty86:
Originally Posted By kill-9: From [url]http://www.wtop.com/index.php?sid=10099&nid=25[/url]: "Police removed seven weapons from the house, a book and a computer. [...] Police have not charged the Bowie man with any crime. [...] [red]Channel 9 reports a tip from the community led police to the home."[/red] Oh, boy...here we go. Can you say "witch hunt"? -kill-9
View Quote
What do you think of "Operation Tips" now???? Hmmmmmmm???
View Quote
Yea! Dunkle took his MEDS!!!
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 6:04:01 PM EDT
The man is lucky to be alive with a house that's still standing.
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 7:13:10 PM EDT
Originally Posted By NOVA5:
Originally Posted By LARRYG:
View Quote
View Quote
View Quote
that makes no sense. the inanimate item has no ability to act on its own(a computer can "seem" to act on their own but its really just a program driving them) and therfore cannot commit a crime. *mutters* how do they get away with this garbage? one needs to store ones important data on a hidden PC linked to the main pc via network. data secure. thugs take the PC.. ohwell out few hundred bucks and reload time. but if they didnt find the hidden PC your data is safe. ...uhoh... i hear them knocking at my door...
View Quote
Of course, it make no sense, but that is exactly what they are doing. They have charged houses, cars, cash, etc with the crime and seized it without charging the owners. All thanks to the war on drugs.
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 8:10:22 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Sixgun357:
Originally Posted By ANGST:
View Quote
View Quote
That is the first I have heard that it did not cost money to get back guns the cops took from someone. You were lucky I have heard stories where people had to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars in legal and court costes. Then go thru headaches trying to get police to release guns.
View Quote
A few days after I was acquited I received a letter from the police telling me that I needed to come down and claim my property. I went to the address on the letter, showed my ID and received everything they had taken as evidence including the recovered bullet. No lawyers, no money, no muss, no fuss.
Top Top