Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2017 3:20:53 PM EDT
So I bid on an item last week; I enjoy bullshit bidding on $0.01 starting bids

Well I bid and it came back saying high bidder but under the reserve.

Fuck it, moving on.
Well I just won the item. So I assume sellers can modify the reserve after bidding starts?

BTW it's a P226

I have no qualms and I've already paid so I have intention of backing out, just curious about the process so I don't lowball on a machine gun or something
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:22:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So I bid on an item last week; I enjoy bullshit bidding on $0.01 starting bids

Well I bid and it came back saying high bidder but under the reserve.

Fuck it, moving on.
Well I just won the item. So I assume sellers can modify the reserve after bidding starts?

BTW it's a P226

I have no qualms and I've already paid so I have intention of backing out, just curious about the process so I don't lowball on a machine gun or something
View Quote
i didn't think they can, but i guess they could now.

i've bought a lot on GB
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:24:11 PM EDT
[#2]
So you won a 226 for a penny? Not sure I'm getting this right.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:25:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Once a bid is placed on an item (reserve or not) the seller cannot change the reserve, buy it now or any other portion of the listing.  In the event something has changed I just checked on an item we have listed.  Item has been bid on, reserve has not been met and I tried to lower the reserve.  This pops up when I submit the changes "You cannot edit item [639458960] because it has been bid on. Items cannot be edited after they have been bid on."
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:28:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So you won a 226 for a penny? Not sure I'm getting this right.
View Quote
lol no
But what I would consider under market value.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:29:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Once a bid is placed on an item (reserve or not) the seller cannot change the reserve, buy it now or any other portion of the listing.  In the event something has changed I just checked on an item we have listed.  Item has been bid on, reserve has not been met and I tried to lower the reserve.  This pops up when I submit the changes "You cannot edit item [639458960] because it has been bid on. Items cannot be edited after they have been bid on."
View Quote
Maybe this was another drunk bidding escapade.
Need to go check my emails from last week I guess
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:31:22 PM EDT
[#6]
With eBay, at least, if the item sells for under the reserve price you can still accept the highest bid and sell it. Otherwise if you have a reserve set you have the option to relist it and try again to get your reserve price. I imagine GunBroker works the same or similar way with it since they're the ones that get paid when the item sells.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:31:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Perhaps the first initial bid was under the reserve, but it records yours and increases the next bid. Once more people bid and it goes over reserve, yours won.
I thought when you bid it gives you the increments for the bid but you choose your max? Its been a while since ive been on there.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:32:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Perhaps the first initial bid was under the reserve, but it records yours and increases the next bid. Once more people bid and it goes over reserve, yours won.
I thought when you bid it gives you the increments for the bid but you choose your max? Its been a while since ive been on there.
View Quote
It shows I was the only bid
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:34:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Some times you win something for far less than its value.

I recently won a NIB Silencerco 46 Hybrid for under $600. I ain't complaining, except for the fact I don't get to use it until late next year.

BATFE could fix the NFA Branch by turning it over to the SOTs, but noooooooooooo....
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:38:03 PM EDT
[#10]
IM your gunbroker user ID and PW and our SS and I will check it out for you.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:45:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I once won a factory G17 mag for a penny plus $5 to ship. I was very surprised that happened.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 4:20:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Sounds like the seller accepted your bid even though it was less than the reserve,,,a bush in the hand is worth two at bar an all...
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 4:29:17 PM EDT
[#13]
The general rule for auctions is that a seller can lift a reserve at any time. A bid is an offer to buy. A bid made under a reserve is still an offer. A reserve is essentially an option retained by the seller not to accept offers below a certain amount. Like any option, it can be exercised or not. This is the basic difference between a reserve and a high starting bid.

I don't use reserves in my auctions. I just put the starting bid at the lowest price I'll take. On Gunbroker, I avoid reserve auctions. The reserves are usually stupid high.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 4:43:05 PM EDT
[#14]
During the Sandy Hook thing I sold all of my PMAGs for $90 dollars each on Ebay (before ebay had the no 30 round mag limitation). I still have about 20 regular Army issue steel mags that work just fine. Was never quite sure of the hype with the pmag, I was issued 7, so sold 6. Kept one just to have.

I wasn't trying to take advantage of anyone, truth is I considered selling most of my ammo and alot of my guns because people were offering insane prices for ANYTHING semi automatic. I had someone offer me a dollar per round for 223. I had about 3k invested in 10k rounds and would have made 7k! In retrospec I wish I would have taken that deal. But again I don't feel bad. He was betting that US would never recover. I was betting we would.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top