Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/23/2004 2:11:31 PM EDT
So I'm walking up the gun store a little while ago and right before I enter the store I hear BAM! The guy behind the counter was looking at a customers .45 that he thought he just unloaded...apparently not good enough and the Kimber went off. Anyway no one got hurt but the counter has a big hole in it and the guy behind the counter had black powder burns. It scared the shit out of everybody.

The guy behind the counter wasn't some young kid either. He kept repeating how that has never happened to him before. Just goes to show, you never know. Funny thing is the gunsmith came out from the back and said "hey it's a gun store, these things happen. I shoot rounds off in back all the time".
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 2:14:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Time to find another shop, or ask it it's safe before entering.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 2:14:29 PM EDT
[#2]
There is a patched hole in the office at my work where the previous owner's friend picked up a 1911 off the desk and proceeded to FF it. He shot a round thru the wall and it lodged in the far wall of the showroom. Luckily no one was in the path.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 2:14:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't return to that store if I were you.  

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 2:16:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I probably won't. Their prices were kind of high. They wanted $25 a piece for some generic AR15 30rd mags.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 2:18:03 PM EDT
[#5]
It's always the unloaded ones that "go off".  

Finger off the damned trigger!!

Hey, someone was going to say it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 2:18:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I doubt it happens all the time. That guy should probably be removed from handling guns (fired); just too careless.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 2:19:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
So I'm walking up the gun store a little while ago and right before I enter the store I hear BAM! The guy behind the counter was looking at a customers .45 that he thought he just unloaded...apparently not good enough and the Kimber went off. Anyway no one got hurt but the counter has a big hole in it and the guy behind the counter had black powder burns. It scared the shit out of everybody.

The guy behind the counter wasn't some young kid either. He kept repeating how that has never happened to him before. Just goes to show, you never know. Funny thing is the gunsmith came out from the back and said "hey it's a gun store, these things happen. I shoot rounds off in back all the time".

A black powder Kimber .45. Gotta get me one of those.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 2:19:49 PM EDT
[#8]

apparently not good enough and the Kimber went off

IT DID NOT GO OFF!

HE PULLED THE TRIGGER WHEN THERE WAS A LIVE ROUND IN THE CHAMBER!
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 2:20:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A black powder Kimber .45. Gotta get me one of those.

You beat me to it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 2:22:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
"hey it's a gun store, these things happen.".

Riiiiight.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 2:22:55 PM EDT
[#11]
He had powder burn on his hand. It looked black. After I read my post I knew someone was going to say that.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 2:23:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I wouldn't hesitate to go back - low-crawling from the front door to the counter.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 2:23:29 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

IT DID NOT GO OFF!

Can I get an AMEN?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 2:24:05 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

IT DID NOT GO OFF!

Yeah I know, I didn't mean it went off by it self.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 2:25:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 2:26:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Damn, if it would have only grazed you maybe you would now own a gun store!  Or atleast gotten a free AR or something.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 2:27:12 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wouldn't hesitate to go back - low-crawling from the front door to the counter.

Not sure that's such a good idea, either. I mean he blasted a hole in the counter, was the weapon pointed down?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 2:27:24 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
He had powder burn on his hand. It looked black. After I read my post I knew someone was going to say that.

So, is the counterman's new nickname "Pants," or "Hot Load?"
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 2:30:21 PM EDT
[#19]
The loudest sound you will ever hear is the bang, when it should have gone click.

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 2:31:03 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

IT DID NOT GO OFF!

+1 WERD!
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 2:31:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Funniest AD story ever...

Hole in the wall
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 2:33:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Sign on the wall-Days since last Accidental Discharge- 0
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 2:37:07 PM EDT
[#23]
As my dad says more people are shot with unloaded guns than any other kind. "Gee I thought it was unloaded" are the famous last words.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 2:37:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Last year, just before Christmas, a gentleman brings a new, Remington 700, 280 into the sporting goods store where he purchased it.  He stopped at the front counter, the clerk checked the gun, opened the bolt and looked into the empty magazine.  After finding the gun was unloaded she sent the man back to the gunsmith in the rear of the store.

The customer shows the gun to the gunsmith and tells him that he's having trouble with it extracting.  (That should have been his first clue)   After looking the bolt over, the gunsmith put the bolt back in the gun and pulled the trigger.   BOOM!   The cartridge lodged in the camber, went off.  Keep in mind, this is just days before Christmas and the store was packed.   The bullet went through the wall of the shop, into the showroom, struck a turkey fryer full of peanut oil, went through the fryer and struck the floor.  There was peanut oil all over, the store was silent.  Every head in the showroom turned to the gunsmith still holding the smoking gun.  Thank god, no one was hurt.

The gunsmith is a great guy, but all I could think of was: WOW, what a career move for a gunsmith!
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 2:43:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Why was the customers gun loaded in the first place.  Most likely he brougt it in to trade or get repaired.  Its should have been unloaded.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 2:47:23 PM EDT
[#26]
At my now closed indoor range, a customer brought back a rental Timber Wolf, a 22LR tubular magazine fed rifle. The counter-guy takes the rifle from the customer, and racks and pulls the trigger twice, on the 3rd time he rack the slide and pulls the trigger, and the rifle goes BANG! Appearently, a 22LR round was stuck in the tube mag. The first couple times, the round was hung in the magazine, it loosen itself chamber and the gun with BANG! Now there is a hole in one of soda pop vending machine. The hole was in a black area, so they just put some black electrical tape to cover it up.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 2:49:12 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Why was the customers gun loaded in the first place.  Most likely he brougt it in to trade or get repaired.  Its should have been unloaded.

I don't know. They have a sign on there door that reads "No loaded firearms". The guy was wanting work done on it, he left it there.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 2:50:37 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I probably won't. Their prices were kind of high. They wanted $25 a piece for some generic AR15 30rd mags.

They probably have to have high prices to cover their insurance premiums if stuff like that happens all the time. They need to look into a clearing bbl.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 2:51:45 PM EDT
[#29]
I worked for 3 different gun stores in the 1990's and two of those stores had accidental discharges while I was there.  ( by other employees).   When a 45acp goes boom instead of click,  It is a lif3e changing noise.  It is gonna make you shrivel to the point where circumsision is internal surgery.  One of these two ADs hit the bp vault...no shit
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 2:52:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Gunstores are like any other business, if you people knew even half of what goes on or happens (both customers and sales people's fault) you'd be amazed.  I have always heard about motorcycle riders that there are two kinds, those who have had a wreck and those who will.  The same thing could be said for gunowners, there are those who have had an AD and those that will.  A gunstore employee handles 100 times the number of guns that the average gunowner (or even arfcommer) does.  It's bound to happen.  Obviously he at least knew the rules and had it pointed in a safe directions.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 2:55:11 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I've seen this happen 4 times in my life so far, hopefully not again.

1st time was the most horrible. Some sick bastard put a single 9mm round into some pistol at the Coconut Grove Gun Show in 1989. I was working one of the tables when I heard a shot go off. Just about everyone fell silent ... a 9 year old girl died from a gunshot to the head.

This is why all gunshows put that plastic zipper around the actions.

The other 3 times were in a small gunshop close to where I live ... fortunately, no one got hit. And yes, I was there all 4 times.

It's because a lot of people are negligent. And there's no excuse for negligence.

And for that little girl, there's a sick SOB out there!
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 2:59:34 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Funniest AD ND story ever...

Hole in the wall

Fixed it for you.

It is not an AD, it's a negligent discharge.  The guy behind the counter broke a major rule in firearms handling.

Stupid F@ck.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 3:08:34 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

1st time was the most horrible. Some sick bastard put a single 9mm round into some pistol at the Coconut Grove Gun Show in 1989. I was working one of the tables when I heard a shot go off. Just about everyone fell silent ... a 9 year old girl died from a gunshot to the head.

This is why all gunshows put that plastic zipper around the actions.

The other 3 times were in a small gunshop close to where I live ... fortunately, no one got hit. And yes, I was there all 4 times.

It's because a lot of people are negligent. And there's no excuse for negligence.

And for that little girl, there's a sick SOB out there!

Yes, probably one of a different political persuasion that thought one victim's death was worth the eventual banning of all guns, step-by bloody step. Just another brick in the wall, it would seem. Think our opponents are angels? Think again.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 3:19:34 PM EDT
[#34]
I've never been near a real AD (ND) but a while back I was worried about one happening when I handed my pistol to a gunshop owner I know well, when I said, "Do you wish for me to clear it first?" when he wanted to take a look at it, when I was buying an IWB holster there a while back. he said "no", as he took it, "it'll be OK."  It set my "spidey sense tingling". He pointed it down in the direction of his clearing box (big box full of some sort of sand) to fit it in the holster I was buying, when one of his salesmen, and ex-mil guy, said, "STOP- clear that gun NOW!" to him, and rightfully tore me a strip for handing his boss my loaded gun, even with the safety on, etc. Damn- he was right, and I have carried that lesson with me ever since.

He said, "Other jobs I can find- another life, I can't."
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 3:57:07 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IT DID NOT GO OFF!

+1 WERD!

+2

The customer should get beat down for bringing in a loaded firearm, and the gunsmith should get beat down for not clearing the fucking thing!
Just my opinion..
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 4:07:38 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I've never been near a real AD (ND) but a while back I was worried about one happening when I handed my pistol to a gunshop owner I know well, when I said, "Do you wish for me to clear it first?" when he wanted to take a look at it, when I was buying an IWB holster there a while back. he said "no", as he took it, "it'll be OK."  It set my "spidey sense tingling". He pointed it down in the direction of his clearing box (big box full of some sort of sand) to fit it in the holster I was buying, when one of his salesmen, and ex-mil guy, said, "STOP- clear that gun NOW!" to him, and rightfully tore me a strip for handing his boss my loaded gun, even with the safety on, etc. Damn- he was right, and I have carried that lesson with me ever since.

I had it beaten into me was taught by the guy that got me interested in guns to NEVER hand a loaded weapon to anyone.  I had a friend literaly drop a loaded 380 in my lap once. "This is my new toy ."   I wanted to shoot him in the foot with it on general principle for being an idiot.

I've had two ND's.  One my stupidty, one a weapon malfunction.

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 4:18:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Yikes, glad nobody was hurt....I think I'd stay away from that place....
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 4:19:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Holy negligent discharge, Batman!  

Stay clear of that place!

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 4:25:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Well, there was this time I shot myself in the leg just to see what it felt like.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 4:31:51 PM EDT
[#40]
It's not just gunshops and smiths either, some people around here think its funny that the ceiling in the squad room of our local PD has a hole in it, and that one of our finest recieved an extended vacation for blowing out the passenger window of his squad car, (both 12 guage) but the truth is they are people like everyone else and capable of mistakes when they are tired.  

Unfortunately it wont get any better unless people wake up and realize how capable that firearm they are holding is of killing someone....The same can be said of any modern viehicle, ect...People need to slow down and think about what they are doing.

~Crpdeth
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 4:39:31 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Sign on the wall-Days since last Accidental Discharge- 0

Yep +1
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 4:53:10 PM EDT
[#42]
It wasn't an AD, but a couple of years ago at Dong's Sporting Goods in Tulsa, they had a kB of sorts...

They sell a lot of reloading equipment there and have reloading classes on Saturdays. This means a lot of spilled powder in the carpet and a lot of work for the vacuum cleaner.

ANYWAY, the vacuum cleaner apparently became saturated in spite of religiously changing the dust bag and then one evening someone accidentally sucked up a primer...

There was a big hole in the ceiling tiles and the lid of the shop vac canister is still supposed to be in a low orbit somewhere circling the earth!
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:06:21 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had it beaten into me was taught by the guy that got me interested in guns to NEVER hand a loaded weapon to anyone.  I had a friend literaly drop a loaded 380 in my lap once. "This is my new toy ."   I wanted to shoot him in the foot with it on general principle for being an idiot.

I've had two ND's.  One my stupidty, one a weapon malfunction.

Remind me to never go shooting with you.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:06:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Well, I don't think I'll stay away just because of a AD or whatever you want to call it. I have several friends that at one time or another have accidently fired a round. I haven't done it, but it could happen to anyone. The guy that did it was at least in his mid 50's and says it had never happened to him before. Saying that it will never happen to you is like saying you'll never have an accident in an automobile. I never have done that either, but you never know.

Everybody has a brain lapse now and then, but when you're handling firearms you definetely want to keep the lapses to an absolute minimum.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:20:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Da rules is da rules.  Follow em and this type of crap won't happen!
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:28:59 PM EDT
[#46]

What store was this at?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:32:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Guns etc. in Chandler. I've never been there before. The only real problem I had were their prices and their lack of "evil assult weapons". Too many pistols and not enough "cool stuff".
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:34:07 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
The loudest sound you will ever hear is the bang, when it should have gone click.

Or a CLICK when you needed a bang......

SRM
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:35:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Nearly did a safety no no tonight, I was handing someone a rifle with no magazine in it, but right before he grabbed it, I suddenly remembered to check the chamber.  So I pulled it back, checked the chamber and thankfully nothing was there.  Do danger was avoided or anything, but still pissed me off that I nearly forgot to check the fucking chamber.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:35:14 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or a CLICK when you needed a bang......

SRM

+1

In fact that's even worse.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top