Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2011 3:39:45 AM EDT
Not sure if this is the right section to post this. Just wanted to ask if anyone has had luck with recording training or
range shooting with a camera mounted on the ar15?
I did some research and only really came up with Tachyon XC HD Helmet Camera micro.
Saw a video on it, and went to the website and they were out of stock. It seems small enough to not get in the way
of optics and shooting in general. Not looking for a huge bulky thing hanging on the side of my gun when shooting
and running around and stuff.  Leading in the direction of small and shockproof.
If anyone can point out any first hand experience and brands that would be helpful,
thanks
Link Posted: 4/13/2011 7:08:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Go Pro HD

Contour HD

Link Posted: 4/13/2011 7:18:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Go Pro HD

Contour HD

Contour actually has a pic rail mount now...after a year of me begging!
Link Posted: 4/13/2011 7:53:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like the next gadget that everyone needs to put on their rifle...

In all seriousness, these look pretty cool.  The only real application and use that I can see them having is recording shots at the range...much like a golfer will record themselves swinging and make adjustments from there.

L3 (of EO Tech fame) has a system they have developed which feeds into a small monitor clipped to a squad leaders glasses, that can link to cameras operating on the network, I could see alot of real world combat applications going along those lines.

I wonder if there is an app for that?
Link Posted: 4/13/2011 7:56:48 AM EDT
[#4]
http://www.gunn-fighter.com/tachyon-guncam.html

footage and pics with what it comes with, mine has held up to alot of abuse, 10.5 SBR with Break, and a carbine course im trying to edit right now.
Link Posted: 4/13/2011 7:57:22 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I taped my first iPhone to my rail...didn't turn out so well

In all seriousness, I've been wanting to look into mounting a Go-Pro. They're a bit larger than anything you'd normall strap onto a front rail system, but I think it could work with certain applications. My buddy has one he uses for Auto-X, utilizing a suction-cup gorilla pod.
Link Posted: 4/13/2011 8:00:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Go Pro HD

Contour HD

YEAH! I saw that too and got jumpy.

But I'm currently looking into some camera eye-pro....or this..

http://www.vio-pov.com/

They also have rail attachments...but I'm more interested in eye view now.

Link Posted: 4/13/2011 8:22:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Go Pro is a great camera, I do wish there was a rail mount for it. So far I've not found anything that would work; with out hacking a LaRue mount of some sort.
Link Posted: 4/13/2011 8:31:41 AM EDT
[#8]
anyone tryied I-Kams?
Link Posted: 4/13/2011 8:35:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I taped my first iPhone to my rail...didn't turn out so well

In all seriousness, I've been wanting to look into mounting a Go-Pro. They're a bit larger than anything you'd normall strap onto a front rail system, but I think it could work with certain applications. My buddy has one he uses for Auto-X, utilizing a suction-cup gorilla pod.

I think this is the key word in your statment!
Link Posted: 4/13/2011 8:39:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Go Pro HD

Contour HD

Verrrrry interesting...studying it now.
Link Posted: 4/13/2011 9:01:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Great idea!

I have an Archos system consisting of a 'lipstick' camera and an Archos player. I've used this system mounted to my motorcycle on track days as well as mounted to my helmet for the same application. The camera is smaller than a SureFire 6XP tac light, and just might fit in a light mount.
Link Posted: 4/13/2011 9:29:26 AM EDT
[#12]
One thing to keep in mind about the Go Pro cameras is that the fish-eye effect, while giving great wide-angle views, makes things just a few yards away much smaller than what your eye sees.

I've used one on a head mount while quail and duck hunting a lot and what looked like a great shot to your eyes in real-time, ends up being less impressive on playback.

Great cameras so long as you understand their limitations.
Link Posted: 4/13/2011 10:01:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
One thing to keep in mind about the Go Pro cameras is that the fish-eye effect, while giving great wide-angle views, makes things just a few yards away much smaller than what your eye sees.

I've used one on a head mount while quail and duck hunting a lot and what looked like a great shot to your eyes in real-time, ends up being less impressive on playback.

I have been wondering about that; they all seem to have incredibly wide angle lenses, at least compared to what I used to in SLRs.

I guess it might be because a more normal lens would result in a "swinging telescope" effect.

Link Posted: 4/13/2011 10:42:06 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have been wondering about that; they all seem to have incredibly wide angle lenses, at least compared to what I used to in SLRs.

I guess it might be because a more normal lens would result in a "swinging telescope" effect.

To get a field of view comparable to human vision, I think fish-eye is unavoidable.  I'd like to see a Go Pro with half the field of view.  The cameras were designed as action cams not gun cameras and they work really well for their intended use (i.e. motorsports, biking, surfing, hang gliding, etc.).

Here's a video as an illustration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3hzkLbBh4g

What I saw was much closer and therefore much more dramatic.

Link Posted: 4/13/2011 11:06:14 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Go Pro HD

Contour HD

Verrrrry interesting...studying it now.

Was used to record this:

Link Posted: 4/13/2011 11:11:29 AM EDT
[#16]
thanks for the products man, I think i might go with the contour.
Link Posted: 4/13/2011 12:16:02 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm glad that the contour and tachyon now have rail mounts, I have a go-pro and have tried several ways to mount it on a rail with no success, the best I've been able to get was using the headband go-pro mount, gives a some what "shooters eye view" here's clip of some of my footage just to give you an idea. the other problem with the go-pro cams is that they're kind of bulky for mounting on a rifle due to the large waterproof housing. so with that said I'd go with one of the smaller "lipstick tube" shaped cameras.

Link
Link Posted: 4/13/2011 12:26:56 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I'm glad that the contour and tachyon now have rail mounts, I have a go-pro and have tried several ways to mount it on a rail with no success, the best I've been able to get was using the headband go-pro mount, gives a some what "shooters eye view" here's clip of some of my footage just to give you an idea. the other problem with the go-pro cams is that they're kind of bulky for mounting on a rifle due to the large waterproof housing. so with that said I'd go with one of the smaller "lipstick tube" shaped cameras.

Link

What some guys with the Go Pro did is get a rail cover....smooth it out, and then use the flat or smooth adhesive surface mount. Some dude did it with the OBR in some vid in the LaRue forum.

The only thing that I don't like about a mount on top of a headband is the perspective. I watched some dude shooting his Glock through a course with that attached to the top of his ear muffs. But when he went to shoot through a hole in a wall...I couldn't see his targets.

I think the best for eye perspective is attached to the side of goggle band, right beside my eye. However I can't do that with my ACH on. So I went to looking at the VIO POV thing, with the flexible wire.
Link Posted: 4/13/2011 12:46:42 PM EDT
[#19]
I find the POV style better for shooting because it covers both handgun and rifle and allows you to see at least some of your manipulations.  My solution; total investment including camera and 4gb MicroSD card is less than $30:

Link Posted: 4/13/2011 1:19:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/13/2011 1:34:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link

What some guys with the Go Pro did is get a rail cover....smooth it out, and then use the flat or smooth adhesive surface mount. Some dude did it with the OBR in some vid in the LaRue forum.    

The only thing that I don't like about a mount on top of a headband is the perspective. I watched some dude shooting his Glock through a course with that attached to the top of his ear muffs. But when he went to shoot through a hole in a wall...I couldn't see his targets.

I think the best for eye perspective is attached to the side of goggle band, right beside my eye. However I can't do that with my ACH on. So I went to looking at the VIO POV thing, with the flexible wire.

I'll have to look into trying that, still doesn't solve the size issue with the gopro though. as far as the head mount the gopro one of pretty good, the camera sits 2 and a half maybe 3 inches above the shooters eyes so the fov is pretty close to that of the shooter

Link Posted: 4/13/2011 2:04:18 PM EDT
[#22]

I am the guy who posted the video, after all this time, the gun cam still works great.  Not bad for $30.
Link Posted: 4/13/2011 2:07:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I am the guy who posted the video, after all this time, the gun cam still works great.  Not bad for $30.

My google fu sucks where did you buy it?  I would love to make a few rigs like this for an action match.

Please do tell

Link Posted: 4/13/2011 2:10:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/13/2011 3:18:38 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Link

I'll have to look into trying that, still doesn't solve the size issue with the gopro though. as far as the head mount the gopro one of pretty good, the camera sits 2 and a half maybe 3 inches above the shooters eyes so the fov is pretty close to that of the shooter

Yeah, the GO Pro has that problem, not being a tube style like others.

However reviews claim it makes up for that bulk with its toughness.

And yeah, the forward mount thing is a good perspective, but it looks a bit more goofy than other setups and it is bulky with other stuff on.

Link Posted: 4/13/2011 3:53:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link

Yeah, the GO Pro has that problem, not being a tube style like others.

However reviews claim it makes up for that bulk with its toughness.

And yeah, the forward mount thing is a good perspective, but it looks a bit more goofy than other setups and it is bulky with other stuff on.

I can vouch for that, my go-pro has been through some serious abuse and still works just as good now as the day i bought it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2011 7:37:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My google fu sucks where did you buy it?  I would love to make a few rigs like this for an action match.

Please do tell

Price has gone up since I bought it, but ebay still has some at cheaper price.
http://www.meritline.com/car-keys-micro-camera-camera––-p-45412.aspx
Link Posted: 4/14/2011 4:15:18 PM EDT
[#28]

Made this 3 hours after I received Tachyon in the mail.  Does not have a zoom but is recoil and waterproof.  

Tested with small object (bowling pin) at 25 yards in low light.  

Link Posted: 4/14/2011 5:49:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Made this 3 hours after I received Tachyon in the mail.  Does not have a zoom but is recoil and waterproof.  

nice, did you get the HD version or the normal def. ?
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 4:46:06 PM EDT
[#30]
I believe I have the normal version.  paid $99 + too much for the rail mount (but it was worth it).  

Quoted:

Quoted:

nice, did you get the HD version or the normal def. ?

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 5:21:35 PM EDT
[#31]
damn thats a bargain. I've been bugging go-pro to make a rail mount but my understanding is that the people that own go-pro aren't exactly gun friendly so they're not hot to trot about producing gun mounts. but if enough people out a request in they just might, we'll see.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 6:46:01 AM EDT
[#32]
I've been looking at the Tachyon but they're all on backorder after the cluster fuck in Japan.  Anyone know who has them in stock?  Looking for the HD.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 7:44:15 PM EDT
[#33]
if you are shooting handguns, I have seen videos at the range of the guys who buy the sunglasses with the video cameras in them when they shoot and they look good for what they are.

The key fob w/ video is amazing for what it is, too.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top