Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2001 10:26:12 AM EDT
....you gotta love this.

I walked into my local firearms emporium this morning, hoping (and knowing that I would probably be disappointed) they would have an AR-180.  I just wanted to get an "in person" view of it.  I realize that Armalite hasn't released them in full production, but I hear that there are a few floating around.  I was just hoping.  
When I got the attention of one of the employees and asked him about it, he said "naw, you don't want one of them rifles . . . they's made of plastic.  We ain't gonna stockem' 'cause they won't last".  I then pointed to his case full of Glocks and asked what was wrong with plastic.  His response "they just won't hold up . . . now this here AR-10 (handing me a $1500 gun), now she's a beauty".  I then realized a problem that Arma is gonna have with these rifles . . . the price.  No gun store will be able to sell the WAY OVERPRICED AR-15's that they normally sell once these things flood the market.  There will be monumental lies told about the AR-180's to justify the ridiculous prices on the rest of the AR's in the stores.  The dealers will either:
(1) not stock them
(2) hide them and bring them out if someone asks
(3) leave them on the shelves so they can say "now look at this plastic piece of junk . . . now try a REAL RIFLE (handing person $1500 AR-10).  Can't ya FEEL the differance?  That plastic is just junk and that's why this REAL RIFLE costs so much more".

Needless to say, I won't be shopping there again.  I bought my first Armalite and my SSR-85B from those jokers, but never again.  I just hate it when people treat me like an idiot.

So, this begs a couple of questions---

1.  Any of you guys know a good FFL in central Virgina that does reasonable transfers?
2.  What is the REAL DEALER price for an AR-180 . . . I don't want to get ripped off.  If the FFl charges $20 for transfers, I want to pay $20 for the transfer.  Kind of hard to tell when you don't know how much the rifle costs from Armalite.

Just hoping you guys can help . . . I'm willing to order and wait for it.  

Thanks in advance!!
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 11:14:22 AM EDT
[#1]
2. What is the REAL DEALER price for an AR-180 . . . I don't want to get ripped off. If the FFl charges $20 for transfers, I want to pay $20 for the transfer. Kind of hard to tell when you don't know how much the rifle costs from Armalite.
View Quote

Unless you're buying it directly from Armalite, paying them directly their wholesale price, and just using the FFL dealer as a transfer dealer, then it's not fair to expect a small transfer fee.  You can't expect a dealer to put up his own money, make phonecalls, place orders, and take care of all that and call it a transfer.  That's a special order.  Expect to pay whatever his profit margin is.

If I have one, and I'm selling it on the For Sale Board, and you e-mail me and we agree on terms, then that would be a simple transfer, and he would charge whatever he charges for transfers.  The dealer in this case has no investment in time or money, other than what it takes to do the actual transfer.  

If you stroll into a shop, tell the guy to order something from one of his suppliers, then you're now expecting him to perform a different function than just a transfer dealer.  You're expecting him to be a real deal gun dealer and you can expect to pay whatever his profit margin is for that service.  

It's good to know what the actual dealer cost is to protect yourself from getting ripped off, but it's not fair to expect the guy to make no money off something you're special oredering through him.  

I wouldn't go back to that place either, but I would expect to pay a fair profit on whatever I buy.  What that is is between you and the dealer, but I'll tell you right now, $20 is way too low on that rifle.

Ross
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 11:18:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Hmmmm.
Volkswagon
did the same thing with the Love Bug.
Made a cheap car
in UGLY colors and when the customer
wanted
one they showed you a nice red Super
Beetle with
bucket seats etc costing hundreds of dollars more and told you
that you did not want to own a Love Bug.
Everyone did, however,
and their publicity stunt
lime green or hot orange buggies
sold out leaving lots full of high priced supers.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 11:30:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Ross,

I'm not expecting a DEALER to quote me a $20 tranfer as the only fee.  I'm looking for a small FFL that doesn't stock and just makes his money on the transfers.  I knew a couple up in PA, but I'm not too sure around here.

I'm a firm believer in a free market.  I would be more than willing to pay a markup to keep a gun shop in business.  I realized when I bought my SSR and my Armalite, that they were overpriced and the differance was their profit margin . . . and I had no problem with it.  I just hate being treated like an idiot.  So, I would like to find a "tranfer only" FFL.

Weasel . . . we'll see.  I'll bet most stores won't even stock them.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 11:32:00 AM EDT
[#4]
They probably will not be selling like hotcakes in MD: AR-15 and AR-180 type Semiauto requires a "10 day background check" by the MD state police (which just happens to take 6+ months for some people without explaination) while HBAR AR-15s are exempt from the "background check" and able to be sold over the counter.  Now the question is, what does the MDSP consider the AR-180B to be an AR-180 type semi auto?

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 11:58:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 1:18:56 PM EDT
[#6]
If you buy straight from ArmaLite, you will pay the $590 MSRP quoted on their website, plus a transfer fee.  At most dealers, you will probably be able to get it for less.

I walked into my local firearms emporium this morning, hoping (and knowing that I would probably be disappointed) they would have an AR-180. I just wanted to get an "in person" view of it. I realize that Armalite hasn't released them in full production, but I hear that there are a few floating around. I was just hoping
View Quote

They one's floating around are the original 180's with the metal lower, not the polymer, and they are preban with the folding stock, bayonet lug, and flash hider.  You will not see a 180B at any dealer at this time.

Don't go back to that dealer.  He is full of crap.  It will hold up as well as his beloved Glocks.  Most dealers won't act like this fool.  

The M15 ArmaLites (AR15) are not 'ridiculously' priced.  This is a different rifle and will be affordable for those that can't quite afford an AR15 type or just want to add it to their collection.

No, many dealers will not stock the 180B for awhile, because they are back ordered to September already and the first rifle has not shipped!
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 8:25:07 PM EDT
[#7]
My FFL is placing my order Monday. I'll post when I find out how long the wait is. I'll also tell you all the price. He is a close friend and doesn't charge me a fee. I get my guns at cost. Last year he waited 9 months for an AR-10. Volume dealers get priority.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 8:47:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 8:51:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Most likely banned in Kali.  At least, I got one, original that is.
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 1:26:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks Uncle Buck . . . I would appreciate that.  you might want to start a new thread for it so it won't get buried [:)]

Link Posted: 6/18/2001 2:09:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Ask him if he would have the same opinion of an AUG, I think not!

To all those with those crappy AUGs, I will pay you $100 per rifle to take them off your hands if you don't feel that it's longevity is adequate enough for your purpose.
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 2:23:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Wonder if it's banned in California yet?
View Quote

SB-23 took care of that already!

You can have ONLY ONE "evil" feature, here they are:

1) Flash supressor
2) Bayonette Lug
3) Can take detachable magazines
4) A pistol grip or thumbhole
5) Can hold more than 10 rounds of ammo.

This applies to [B]ALL[/B] semi-auto rifles.
Any rifle with more than ONE of these items is considered to be an "assault weapon".

I think there may be more but this is all I remember at the moment.

Link Posted: 6/18/2001 2:47:16 PM EDT
[#13]
IMHO, if the MSRP is $590 then Armalite's dealer price should be around $450-475.  Definitely under $500 for sure.  

It seems that in this industry MSRP typically reflects 25-35% markup from dealer cost.  Obviously a dealer who buys in quantity will get lower than dealer price (maybe 5-10% below dealer cost?).    

Link Posted: 6/18/2001 5:44:04 PM EDT
[#14]
misterhemi,

A bayonet lug is not an "evil feature in California.  Neither is a magazine capacity of more than 10 rounds.  Also, SB23 only applies to semi-auto centerfire rifles.
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 6:08:59 PM EDT
[#15]
ballsybottom,

You are really comparing apples to oranges when you compare the price of the AR-180 to the AR-10.  A better comparison would be the AR-180 to the M-15 Armalite makes.  The M-15 goes out the door under $700.  Not the $590 suggested retail of the AR-180 but no one has shot the AR-180 yet to find out how accurate and reliable it really is.  An standard A2 Hbar M-15 from Armalite is reliable and accurate.  Armalite is saving itself money by using economical plastic molding for the lower on the AR-180.  That savings is part of the reason for the lower price.

I totally agree with you on the attitude of the gun shop.  I always find it interesting when a saleman's idea of salemanship is to deride another product.  A product that is made by a company that they represent, no less.  The kicker is that the gun shop will probably end up carrying the AR-180 adn then will sing its praises.
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 6:13:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
IMHO, if the MSRP is $590 then Armalite's dealer price should be around $450-475.  Definitely under $500 for sure.  

It seems that in this industry MSRP typically reflects 25-35% markup from dealer cost.  Obviously a dealer who buys in quantity will get lower than dealer price (maybe 5-10% below dealer cost?).    

View Quote

Dealer cost is $480 on these, so 450-475 is not accurate.  Probably more like $550.
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 6:18:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The M-15 goes out the door under $700.
View Quote

Where?
 Not the $590 suggested retail of the AR-180 but no one has shot the AR-180 yet to find out how accurate and reliable it really is.
View Quote

Armalite has tested the hell out of it.  My original Sterling model with 1/12 twist is very accurate and runs like a top.  This should be
even better with a 1/9 and everything else I have from them is very reliable.

Originally posted by ballsybottom
I just wanted to get an "in person" view of it. I realize that Armalite hasn't released them in full production, but I hear that there are a few floating around. I was just hoping.
View Quote

Where did you hear that some 180B's were floating around?

Link Posted: 6/18/2001 7:11:35 PM EDT
[#18]
ballsybottom-

Check SGN and Gunsamerica(both on the web) for possible FFL dealers in central VA.  I'm sure there are plenty that will handle the transfer.

I've got 2 FFL dealers in Northern VA that I can pass on to you if you want.  Lemme know.

Good Luck!
PS. I've staying out of the "plastic" debate as I used to own Glocks!
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 8:36:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Larry G -

I though that I had read it on this BBS . . . I could be wrong, though.  

BMWguy - USED TO OWN A GLOCK??!?!?!  WTF?  Now you've gone and started a religious war [:)]

When the Glock-a-holics are torching your house and sending mailbombs to your friends, you will regret saying that . . . [}:)]

So, it's about $480 straight from Armalite to the dealer . . . WOW - that's cheaper than a decent AR kit.  These things are gonna sell like FLIPPIN' CRAZY!!
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 8:45:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Pancakes anyone?
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 9:29:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Ballsybottom,

I sympathize greatly with you on the dealers in the central VA area. One dealer who I used to frequent always sold Glock and even carried a G26 on his hip. One day I drop by his shop and notice that he does not have any Glock in his display case. I note such to him. Upon such utterance the dealer explodes in words similar to;

"F**k no! I don't carry any Glocks! If you buy and use a Glock any judge or jury will call you the mercenary from h*ll!"

He then proceeds to try to sell me an H&K USP of which he had many... Some dealers are just crazy!

If you are in the south central VA area I recommend a friend of mine who is an FFL holder who owns Staunton River Outfitters. He does very reasonable transfers and will not try to bully you into what you do not need. You can reach him at [email protected]

Hephaistos
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top