Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2004 9:04:37 AM EDT
I just got in touble from my boss for looking at guns on the Internet. I know they have the power to make the rules and enforce them how they please, but I have been working here a year doing the same thing on the web. It doesn't interfere with my job, but it offends my boss. WTF? I am one of the best employees here and they have to stir the pot. Especially after we have all just been through the stress of a freaking hurricane and just started back to work today. I just had to vent about the fucktards that run this POS company.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:08:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:12:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I questioned him and was quickly put in my place. My response was, "I don't agree with your decision, but I understand why you made it. It is because you are uneducated and don't know that it is harmless."
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:13:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I think personal use of the internet at work is stupid.  Management can say as much as they want that they "don't mind as long as it doesn't interfere with your work", but I'm convinced they monitor it and then, if your supervisor gets a hard-on for you, it's "look at how much time he spends surfing the web".

A renewal of the job search may be in the cards for you from the sound of it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:14:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I am on my way out... Just don't know where to yet.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:14:53 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I just got in touble from my boss for looking at guns on the Internet. I know they have the power to make the rules and enforce them how they please, but I have been working here a year doing the same thing on the web. It doesn't interfere with my job, but it offends my boss. WTF? I am one of the best employees here and they have to stir the pot. Especially after we have all just been through the stress of a freaking hurricane and just started back to work today. I just had to vent about the fucktards that run this POS company.

Supervisors, when under pressure, often find a reason to be upset at someone they can exert control over. Similarly, some people think that if they haven't yelled at you lately they aren't "managing" you.

In positions like mine, it is impossible to be doing something work related every moment of the work day. Some days I am so busy with work stuff I cannot cry, and other days I literally have nothing specifically work related to do.

My arguement is to measure my work. Everywhere I have been in the place I work now, I have made dramatic improvements to the deilvery of services. I always take time with customers and exceed expectations whenever possible. If something goes wrong at 3 am, I am here dealing with it. I work extra hours and go the extra mile on many things so that my supervisors never even hear about it.

So when I am typing on ARFCOM at 2pm when there are no fires to put out and there is no strategic work to be done, don't get upset. The fact is that I don't do the bare minimum to get by. I work my rear-end off at times to make things happen. All this functionality around here does not happen on its own. It happens because I and my team work our tails off to make it happen. Nobody has to tell us what to do or when to do it because we are professionals who always get the job done.

Still, I have run into problems with my supervisors for "non work-related" issues before. Often my supervisor will complain about that, and then go have a 1.5 hour family phone call on the company phone.

Life isn't about fairness or justice. Life is an exercise in dealing with the crap that rolls downhill. If my whole life was tied up in my job, I would be a miserable man indeed.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:38:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, my work is either "up to my eyeballs" or there is NOTHING to do all day except to get daily plant readings.  Internet makes this job possible to bear.

Our IT guy is more progun than I am.  He talks about blocking sites like million mom march and DU (he even knows what it is), and comes to me for gun advice.

In the end, it comes down to how well I do my job and what kind of work backlog I have, and how much I chip in with community projects.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:55:16 AM EDT
[#7]
ARF.com amounts to the coffee breaks and smoke breaks I do not take advantage of.  I agree it makes sitting in this padded cell of a cube environment much more bearable.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:52:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I am a sup at work, Nursing supervisor. I can see why we cannot have our staff surfing during shift. If they can surf, we don't need the body at work.
I worked long and hard to earn my right to surf....One thing I can't stand, is at work all surfing (besides being logged) is sensored. No out and out gun sites. I've got reports on me for "hate" sites, "adult" sites, ect...the price we pay to surf on someone else's dollar!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:53:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Are you posting this from work????  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:00:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I think personal use of the internet at work is stupid.  Management can say as much as they want that they "don't mind as long as it doesn't interfere with your work", but I'm convinced they monitor it and then, if your supervisor gets a hard-on for you, it's "look at how much time he spends surfing the web".

A renewal of the job search may be in the cards for you from the sound of it.

Yes we do and yes they do.  And I just love to have to put reports together for managment. NOT!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:03:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Anonymous proxy.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:03:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Luckily, I can claim my time on AR15 is "research".
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:04:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah. I am posting it from work. I am not worried about monitoring. If they really wanted to, they could. It isn't a matter of me using the Internet for non-work related jobs, it is about me looking at guns. I have been looking at them for a year now and it has never been a problem until today. I am not the only one that does it, there are a lot of us here that surf ARFCOM and are shooters. I am the only one that was confronted though.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:22:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Yeah. I am posting it from work. I am not worried about monitoring. If they really wanted to, they could. It isn't a matter of me using the Internet for non-work related jobs, it is about me looking at guns. I have been looking at them for a year now and it has never been a problem until today. I am not the only one that does it, there are a lot of us here that surf ARFCOM and are shooters. I am the only one that was confronted though.

THAT is what I hate.  Being singled out when you know other people are doing the same damn thing.   ARFCOM is blocked at work, as is just about every site related to guns that you can think of.  The NRA's website is blocked.  There are a couple that squeak by... and right now, I'm using one of the alternate URLs to get here.  

I have heard of at least one employee here who was fired because they did a witch hunt, and found that he had at one point in the past visited some militia sites.  He's heavy into role playing games, and was using them to do a little research.  

I think browsing a little bit helps me retain my sanity.  This job (tech support) has a very high attrition rate, so I think it would be counterproductive to go after people for petty little shit, if they are doing their jobs, and doing them well.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:28:36 PM EDT
[#15]

This job (tech support)

Funny, that's what I do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top