Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2005 10:31:32 AM EDT
We were at the gun show and saw alot of good stuff

one thing that i saw was short AR uppers like 9 or 10"  I thought they were illegal unless you had a special permit?

my friend claims they are legal to buy, sell own as long as you dont have a AR nearby plus they can be used for AR pistols so they are perfectly legal?

can somebody clear this up?

i am new to SBR's...
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 10:34:06 AM EDT
[#1]
As long as you don't put it on a rifle lower I believe they are OK to own. I don't know if constructive posession(or whatever it is called) applies as much to short uppers. Just say you found a good deal on it, and are planning on putting it on a pistol lower.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 10:37:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Parts is parts.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 10:43:59 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Parts is parts.

So you could buy a 11.5 inch upper no problem as long as you paid the SBR tax before you assembled it?
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 10:46:50 AM EDT
[#4]
i do not see why anyone shouel be imprisoned 10 years and/or fined $10 for a $5 tax evasion (and it is an unconstitutional tax on a right)
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 10:50:14 AM EDT
[#5]
i think this works the same as having FA parts without a FA reciever. its illegal becasue they can't watch you all the time, and dont know what you'll do with it. besides, why would you own parts that you arent going to use?
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 10:51:14 AM EDT
[#6]
If you the upper no problem

If you have the upper and a lower that it's legal to use on (SBR or pistol) no problem

If you have the upper and only a standard AR lower (Not an SBR or pistol) you have a problem.

You're stuck having to explain why you have parts that you have no way of making a legal configuration with at that very moment.

See US v Thompson Center
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 10:51:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
i think this works the same as having FA parts without a FA reciever. its illegal becasue they can't watch you all the time, and dont know what you'll do with it. besides, why would you own parts that you arent going to use?

I have noticed small arms review says short barreled uppers are only for M16's?
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 10:52:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Oh sure, if you had a short upper you wouldn't mount it.

Link Posted: 3/13/2005 10:59:17 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Parts is parts.

So you could buy a 11.5 inch upper no problem as long as you paid the SBR tax before you assembled it?

Yes. People do that all the time.  They get the parts, apply for the stamp, then wait to receive the paper to mate them. An 11.5" would also be legal with a permanent 5.5" FH.  Also, if you didn't install a stock, then it could be a pistol upper and not necessarily a SBR.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 10:59:50 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Oh sure, if you had a short upper you wouldn't mount it.

what a trivial issue, oh no people might attach a short upper!!! the world would just end if that happened
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 11:06:01 AM EDT
[#11]
The SBR tax is $5?  I thought it was $200.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 11:08:41 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The SBR tax is $5?  I thought it was $200.

No, AOW transfer is $5, unless you build it yourself then it is $200.  SBR is $200.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top