Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2004 6:47:41 PM EDT
I am looking at a Cannon American Eagle safe, 16-32 size. Anybody have one of these and what can you say about them. The price is $800 - much less than the equal size Browning. Any feedback or comments are appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:58:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:02:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Why the digital lock?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:05:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:10:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I dont trust that digital lock, if someone were to break in they would probably bust the keypad and then your shit out of luck
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:18:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Avoid the digital lock. More shit to go wrong. You can't beat a dial S&G. Also, take a look at the
Liberty safes. Really good finish work on them. I bought a Sportsman Steel safe. It has served its
purpose but the finish work on the inside leaves alot to be desired. Also try and find one that has a
removable door. Makes it easier to move. I researched for about a year before I bought one.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:26:54 PM EDT
[#6]
If I had the money Id go for a Fort Knox
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:00:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Avoid the digital lock. More shit to go wrong. You can't beat a dial S&G. Also, take a look at the
Liberty safes. Really good finish work on them. I bought a Sportsman Steel safe. It has served its
purpose but the finish work on the inside leaves alot to be desired. Also try and find one that has a
removable door. Makes it easier to move. I researched for about a year before I bought one.

I've had a Sportsman Steel safe for about two years, with the digital lock with no problem. I was able to talk the salemen down $400.00 over the phone AND he threw in a few extras.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:45:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got 2 cannon safes. Both the same size, 60Hx30Wx22D. One dial and one digital. I got the
digital from Vollmer in Plainfield, Ill,just out side of Chicago on 9/11/01 and am still using the same
9 volt battery. I got the Cannon dial from a gunshop in Va. Beach. (A&P Range at Lynnhaven.)
The digital is quicker to get into, but most of the time I only use the key lock on the dial safe. You
throw the bolt, zero and lock the dial and reentry is fast.
The dial would probley be the safest. The Cannon has a very good warrenty. Cannon safes are a
good value for the price and come with shelves and racks.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:53:30 PM EDT
[#9]
IF you want a Safe buy a Ft Knox with the S&G dial

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:58:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I dont trust that digital lock, if someone were to break in they would probably bust the keypad and then your shit out of luck

Hate to pop ya bubble,BUT:
bust the keypad and it's permanently locked
Time to call the Locksmith
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:15:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:03:19 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a lifetime warranty on my keypad, whether I somehow break it or someone damages it trying to break in.  I would call a locksmith of my choice, pay the bill and send the bill to the safe company, along with a police report if a crime was committed.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:09:30 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

um I knew that, I was refering the fact that now you the owner of the safe cant even get in
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:07:39 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

um I knew that, I was refering the fact that now you the owner of the safe cant even get in

I personally never have all my eggs in one basket. So if someone were to attempt to break into my safe and damage the lock in the process, I have weapons and ammo in other locations that I could use until the locksmith changed the keypad.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:17:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Big hammer on the manual dial makes it a little tough to get into too.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:40:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:53:32 PM EDT
[#17]
i have a cannon american eagle 36". i paid $1000 delivered from a vender selling on ebay. for the same safe in a diff brand i'd of paid $1500+
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:22:55 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
i have a cannon american eagle 36". i paid $1000 delivered from a vender selling on ebay. for the same safe in a diff brand i'd of paid $1500+

Was it curbside delivery or instillation?
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:26:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Is there such a thing as a safe that uses mainly a keypad lock, but has a dial in case the keypad dies?
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:39:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Get the keypad.  Believe it or not, I had a S&G dial lock foul up.  It became nearly impossible to open, like there were marbles in the works. (browning safe).  We changed it to digital S&G.  My friend, my bro, and myself all have digital.  One better is a double door with two digitals.  Failsafe.    Dial locks blow if you get into your safe several times a day.  My batteries lasted two years, and they have a low battery warning.

http://www.brownsafe.com/7256.html

These are safes, not gun cabinets.  If your "safe" says RSC on it, it is rated as a "residential storage container" by the Underwriters Laboratories.  It is, by no means, a safe.  Many unwashed can get into a RSC with a sledge hammer in less than 5 minutes.  I discussed this with an appraiser who deals with gun thefts and insurance companies.  He has seen several RSC's defeated and explained some of the process to me.  Very enlightening.  

Look carefully at the Canon's construction.  Some of them suck.  If it is a hidden hinge with only two points of contact, one at the top, one at the bottom, this is the easiest of all to defeat.  Simple mechanics.  I am aware of the design features, because I play an engineer on TV, and I was going to build my own safe.  Dollar for pound, you can't beat the Brown.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top