Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2008 11:17:04 PM EDT
I have had a couple of close calls over the years

The first time, many years ago
I was on my way to my part time job. (was in college)
As I came to an intersection (4 way stop)
A young guy on foot ran through the intersection from my left to right.
He had several long guns wrapped up in a table cloth.

As I watched him run by, I saw an older man chasing him.  I was planning to go straight down the street, but thought this looked interesting and decided to turn right and see how it played out.

The old man was yelling for the guy with the guns to stop.
I drove up next to the young guy as he was running down the left shoulder of the road.
Even though he was much younger than the guy chasing him, with the weight of about 5 rifles and shotguns- the old guy was catching him.

So he dropped his load, and took off running harder.
(by this time I had it figured out).
Well I felt, with the guns gone, him on foot, and me in my car, I had the upper hand- (I was young and stupid).

I increased the speed of my car a little and stayed on his right shoulder, not allowing him to cross the street, and get into some housing projects.

Each time he attempted to cross the road, I would speed up enough to keep him from crossing. He was getting tired, -from my point of view- life was good.

When I cut him off, the third time, he reached in his back pocket, pulled out  a handgun and pointed it at me, - time to "Disengage, Disengage. Disengage"
I threw up my hands and hit the gas.
Saw him cross the road behind me.

I turned around, went back to the old man, drove him and his weapons back to his home. He explained that he and his wife had returned home and as they walked in the front door the BG had run out the back door.  

He thanked me for helping him get his guns back.
I asked him, if the guy also took a handgun from his house, he went to another room, came back and said yes, my next question- "Was it loaded"?
Again, he said yes-

A little wiser, and a lot older now-

With the description we were able to give- police caught the guy later that afternoon.

(as I understand it-) after event, the BG went home and made his younger brother change clothes with him, but he did not tell the younger brother that the police were looking for him. So the younger brother goes about his business- they were about the same age and size.
When the police spotted the younger brother- perfectly matching the description- and thinking he was armed- they took it seriously-
Little brother did not appreciate being "thrown under the bus" by big brother- so little brother gave big brother up-

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:35:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, situations can change REAL quick, can't they?

Glad you survived.....I've had a few similar close calls
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:47:06 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

A little wiser, and a lot older now-

So...now that you are older and wiser, how would you have handled this today?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:48:02 PM EDT
[#3]

Glad you made it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:48:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Should have ran his ass over.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:55:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Should have ran his ass over.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 12:11:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Someone on foot points a gun at me while i am driving next to them and "Hard left turn" might just be my first thought.

You were driving a 2000 lb bullet.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 12:49:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I think now, I would let it go when he dropped the guns.
Just stopped and helped the old man back to his house.
Would have been watching to make sure BG did not come back,
Good reason for CCW, never know when it will be needed

I assumed I knew what was going down,
but I did not know either one of the guys involved.

Had a better idea when the BG dropped the guns and continued to run, knew for sure when he pointed the gun at me.

When he did pull the gun, he was almost at my drivers side door, so hard left turn would have only put me into a mail box or tree.

The good news, the old man got all his guns back, I did not get shot, and BG went to jail.  

What would you do?
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 12:56:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I think now, I would let it go when he dropped the guns.
Just stopped and helped the old man back to his house.
Would have been watching to make sure BG did come back,
Good reason for CCW, never know when it will be needed

What would you do?

I think, I would do something close to what you think you would do now.

FWIW....I do CC.

~R
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 2:31:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Very interesting story.  When I was you age and before I got into law enforcement, I would likely have done the same as you did at the time.  Now that I am retired from law enforcement, I would probably follow the same course of action you would now.

As for the 24 years in between, well, that's better left to my imagination.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:05:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Someone on foot points a gun at me while i am driving next to them and "Hard left turn" might just be my first thought.

You were driving a 2000 lb bullet.

First thing that came to mind when I read the OP's story.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:42:16 PM EDT
[#11]
At least it ended well.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:48:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Only once. I used to own a graphics shop. One night I locked up and exited the back door, walked 30 feet into a BIG police take down, at least 20 officers and 15 to 20 cars, as well as a dog or two. I guess they were a little jumpy because 3 of them drew on me. After they figured out who I was and not a threat, they told my to go back in the building and wait or leave by the front. That was as close to a
major adrenalin dump" as I have had.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top