Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/7/2005 2:06:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/7/2005 2:07:03 PM EDT by DoubleFeed]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:04:54 PM EDT
You have to have passion. Without passion, there is no activism.

When I ran for state representative, I campaigned like my life was hanging in the balance. It paid off.

Having people you implicitly trust with your life also helps, too.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:00:38 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:04:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DoubleFeed:
passion in people who would rather not be politically active?

They need to believe in either you or your message. When I say "believe," I mean they must be *sold* on you.

When I ran for state rep, I had an inner core of about six or seven people who I could count on regardless of the circumstances. These people went to hell and back with me. They wouldn't do that for just another person, regardless if he or she was a "Republican" or not. After those six or seven people, I had about another two dozen who would help out occasionally. Since there was plenty to do, it was nice having that pool of supporters. Virtually all of the above people knew me since childhood, so they knew precisely who they were campaigning for.

So, to sum it up, you need a pool of people who know you, who really know you and are willing to sacrifice to help you. That's the best way I can put it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:11:36 PM EDT
Activism is important tool if you want to get the attention of the people. Let's face it the media in this country is not our friend, so the only way to get around them is to go direct route. The NRA does what it can, but most people still beleive what they read in the papers and on TV. Alot of us give the NRA a hard time about making deals even now with a Repubican majority and President...But if they didn't the media would have a field day on anybody who tried to over turn something like the 86 ban.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:51:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/14/2005 9:36:31 PM EDT by speedfreak955]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:00:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DoubleFeed:

Originally Posted By Wobblin-Goblin:
You have to have passion. Without passion, there is no activism.

When I ran for state representative, I campaigned like my life was hanging in the balance. It paid off.

Having people you implicitly trust with your life also helps, too.

Quite true. How do you create passion in people who would rather not be politically active?

Well, good Q. However I have found Arfcom, in general to be a GREAT place to stir up National support for any number of well, I hate the word, but "boycotts". Arfcom helped when Ohio was having a problem w/MicroCenter, they caved. Arfcom helped when we had a problem w/Kroger - they caved.Arfcom helped when Best Buy got totally stoopid [sic] THEY caved. REALLY the ONLY place I'm AWARE of who did NOT cave (AND, IMO, ONLY because they do NOT have a store in COOLUMBUS, Ohio and, IMO, we'll get `em eventually is Costco. but Arfcommers were FANTASTIC!

What it took in Ohio was conservatives getting PISSED OFF at the promises of Shaft and a 20 year "process" to GET CHL in the state.... they started writing letters to people who "care" (GOP, Republican Central Committees, the Bush/Cheney ticket) that they would NOT vote for another Republican UNTIL CHL passed in Ohio. Period. I'm pretty sure they MEANT it... I think the PTB figured that out as well.

I BELIEVE that Conservatives tend to be motivated by the same things that liberals are: PERCEIVED injustice (they just have different "perceptions" ) and they aren't as "fast" to "move" - typically.

They also don't seem to KNOW HOW to be effective when it comes to "protests" because they tend to not "do" that.... fortunately, there are VERY "activist" type liberals such as myself who can (when I have the time) "guide" 2nd Amendment Supporters to achieving desired goals. Such as the "Best Buy" protest... they were NOT very "smart" they were ALREADY being investigated by the Ohio Atty Gen for unethical business practices, THEN the asshats want to "ban carry"? Okay! FINE. But since I'm REALLY "motivated" to be an ass about the carry issue, might as well add to the HEAT by "pointing out" the thing most "normal" folks will REALLY be concerned about... the "unethical business practices"

I think it took less than 2 weeks

I'm not really all that "motivated" to hand out flyers about the "unethical business practices" w/o the restriction on carry... I won't SHOP there... for ELECTRONICS but I won't stir the shit either. Media I MIGHT buy there, and DVD/CD cases, etc... stuff that won't be likely to "break" and won't be doing any "mail-in rebate" deals there.... as they are reputed to NOT "honor" many rebate offers... but not actively "boycotting anymore, but I'm not stoopid [sic] I'll only purchase "safe" stuff, and I'll pay w/VISA so I can "dispute" anything that might be suspect. And no electronics. Well, over $25 anyway.
Top Top