Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 9/19/2004 1:07:11 PM EST
Sheriff's Deputy Accused Of Giving Gun To Felon
Incident Allegedly Took Place At Palo Alto Bar

POSTED: 5:25 p.m. PDT September 17, 2004
UPDATED: 5:54 p.m. PDT September 17, 2004

Story by theksbwchannel.com

SALINAS, Calif. -- A Monterey County sheriff's deputy is in trouble with the law, accused of giving his gun to a convicted felon who then allegedly pointed it at people in a packed bar.

The incident reportedly happened at a Palo Alto bar. The deputy -- Sean Brooks -- has been put on leave. And on Friday, he made his first court appearance.

Brooks' arraignment was postponed to next week. He has been charged with aiding and abetting a convicted felon.

According to prosecutors, the off-duty deputy and a convicted felon were drunk at the bar. That's when the gun was allegedly passed from one to the other.

Official say the gun had a laser sight, which was pointed at the backs of several people inside the bar. Police were called, and the two were arrested outside.

"This is something that has bothered me since I first heard about it. This is not the kind of conduct that I want out of any of our employees. It is disgraceful if its true," said Monterey County Sheriff Mike Kanalakis.

The sheriff's department hired brooks two years ago. He's currently assigned to the County Jail.

Kanalakis said that if the allegations are proven true, it's likely Brooks would be fired.

The sheriff's department has launched an internal investigation to see if Brooks violated department policy.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:09:58 PM EST
That's a helluva misleading thread title you chose to use. Shame on you for trying to spin this as some kind of unfairness.
This is a story of When Dumbasses Collide, A Cop That Stupidly Broke The Law He Is Required to Uphold, and a fair response to reckless endangerment.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:13:00 PM EST

Originally Posted By rayra:
That's a helluva misleading thread title you chose to use. Shame on you for trying to spin this as some kind of unfairness.
This is a story of When Dumbasses Collide, A Cop That Stupidly Broke The Law He Is Required to Uphold, and a fair response to reckless endangerment.

I say its more vague then actually misleading or inccorect, maybe AR15fan is a politician?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:13:53 PM EST

Originally Posted By rayra:

Quoted for truth.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:14:00 PM EST
retards
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:15:51 PM EST
And they tell us not to even carry a gun through an establishment that serves alcohol. Dumbasses! I wonder how much "anesthetic" they had beforehand.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:16:33 PM EST
California Deputy Arrested In Gun Incident

MATTHAI CHAKKO KURUVILA
San Jose Mercury News via the Associated Press

A Monterey County sheriff's deputy will be arraigned today for allegedly giving a gun to a convicted felon, who playfully aimed the loaded weapon at other patrons at a downtown Palo Alto bar.

Deputy Sean Brooks, 34, faces charges of aiding and abetting a felony because he gave his gun to Ryan Barry, 23, of Palo Alto, who is a felon, according to the Santa Clara County District Attorney's Office.

Felons are not allowed to hold firearms, and Barry will face felony charges of possessing a firearm.

Brooks has been assigned to the Monterey County Jail since being hired by the department in October 2002, said sheriff's Cmdr. Tracy Brown.

Brooks was in custody at the Santa Clara County Jail on Thursday and was placed on administrative leave pending an internal investigation into whether he violated any laws or department policies, Brown said Thursday.

The gun incident occurred Tuesday night at the Rose & Crown Pub. Details of Barry's felony record were not immediately available.

Assistant District Attorney Karyn Sinunu said the weapon, which was not Brooks' department-issued handgun, had a laserscope on it, and Barry shifted the beam from target to target in the bar, switching back and forth from customers to the dart boards.

Alarmed customers left and called police. When police arrived, the duo had already left. But the two were drunk and they quickly got involved in a separate altercation at a cab, prompting another call to police, Sinunu said.

Police then tied the two incidents together, Sinunu said, and arrested Brooks and Barry.

The men told police that they had just met earlier Tuesday on Highway 101 during a ""traffic slowdown," according to prosecutor Peter Waite of the Santa Clara County District Attorney's Office. They told police that after talking on the freeway, they decided to go to Palo Alto to have a drink, Waite said.

Tuesday was "Quiz Night" at the English pub, and the duo stood out, said Tony Babb, the owner.

"They stood out because the crowd there is usually the Stanford grad students and some of the local professional people," Babb said. Noting their shaved heads, t-shirts and jeans, Babb said "these guys weren't quite in that group."

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:31:31 PM EST
a more accurate title would have been:

"Irresponsible Law Enforcement Officer arrested for misuse of firearm."
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:57:09 PM EST

Many of the LEO's I have met aren't "gun enthusiasts".

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:01:46 PM EST
Drunk cop with a firearm, in a bar.

And he hands it to a FELON?

Why is this guy still even on the force?

Fucking BULLSHIT!

And you LEOs say you do get preferential treatment...

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:24:07 PM EST

Originally Posted By sgtar15:

cop?

Jail Gaurd, turn key, corrections officer.....not cop.

Are you advocating a ban on possession of firearms in bars? Are you advocating a mandatory background check before handing a firearm to a friend to examine?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:25:52 PM EST

Originally Posted By AR15fan:

Originally Posted By sgtar15:

cop?

Jail Gaurd, turn key, corrections officer.....not cop.

Are you advocating a ban on possession of firearms in bars? Are you advocating a mandatory background check before handing a firearm to a friend to examine?

Its says Sheriffs Deputy, and he should have known his buddy was a convicted felon. BTW, most of us who do not wear a badge cannot carry open or concealed in a bar.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:27:42 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/19/2004 7:29:17 PM EST by operatorerror]
Are you saying that what the deputy did was right?

And since when did an examination include sighting in on passerby?

Two fucking retards.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:38:16 PM EST
Damn I love to drink but I don't think I have ever been that fucked up.I hope that drunken POS is looking for a new career he's going to need it
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:47:25 PM EST
Morons...
Top Top