Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2004 5:59:58 PM EDT
While googling for the date of the next Charlotte gun show, I noticed this statement on their website:

"All Handgun Buyers in North Carolina can now purchase a handgun without a Purchase Permit if you have a Concealed Carry Permit....if you do not have a Concealed Carry Permit then you must have a Purchase Permit from your local Sheriff."

Personally, I hadn't planned on buying any handguns when I go, but I sure pity NC residents who have to have "permission" from their local sheriff to buy a pistol.

Once again, thankful to live in a gun-friendly state.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:12:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Seeing as I will most likely be moving to NC in the near future, I, too, was dismayed to discover this BS law was in effect.

That said, getting my CCW will be priority 1 when I get there....
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:14:03 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
.....but I sure pity NC residents who have to have "permission" from their local sheriff to buy a pistol.

Sometimes it is not possible to live in a more gun friendly state, but for those in less gun friendly states, it is wise to acquire your equipment and supplies before you need really them. Here in the PRK(aka Kali-fornia), the local govt can even suspend the sale of ammo at anytime(ie July 4th, Jan 1, May 5th"Cinco de Mayo" wtf?), and if you don't have any when you need it, then you're going to be scewed.

During the 1992 riots here in L.A., the authorities didn't even let people that met the 15 day waiting period requirement, take possession of their pistols. Plus they suspended sales of ammo. Not to mention most of the gun stores run out of ammo where it was legal to buy. So, a word to the wise, buy while things are quiet to avoid attracting undue attention to yourself from your friendly......
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:15:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Still a Shall Issue state, and the CCL bypases NICS for pistol and long guns. and allows open carry.

I was told wait 6 months to apply for pistol purchase permit, but only 30 days for CCL.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:19:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Until recently, everyone had to have a permit from the sheriff.  The fact that CCW holders can now purchase without them is a real victory in our state.  The permits were essentially just a tax and a minor hassle.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:23:23 PM EDT
[#5]
It is a BS racist law here with its origins during segrigation as a way of keeping blacks from getting handguns.

In most counties, you walk in and walk out with your permits in 5 minutes. It actually benifits me, because not one single time have I bought a gun and the $%^&^**%&*$ NICS not delayed me.. sometimes 3 days. Before I had my CCW it was almost impossible to buy a gun at a gun show because of that unless I had a permit.

As long as ya don't move to Durham county you will be fine.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:34:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm counting the days to when we can move back to Colorado. 10 motnhs to go.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:54:21 PM EDT
[#7]
So, a word to the wise, buy while things are quiet to avoid attracting undue attention to yourself from your friendly......

EXACTLY RIGHT!  Waiting until you need it is way too late.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:58:04 PM EDT
[#8]
It was passed in 1919 to only allow good ol boys to possess handguns.

In 1959 when blacks began to get "uppity" they changed it to the sheriff who was the one to issue permits.

VERY RACIST LAW!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:00:17 PM EDT
[#9]
There was also a law passed in 1933 to make people get a permit from their sheriff for a machine gun and only for certain purposes.

CRC
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top