Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2004 4:19:28 PM EDT
http://www.theindychannel.com/news/3673690/detail.html

Now I wonder what would happen if someone set up a booth across the street and offered $25 for every "unwanted gun" and $45 for every "multiple gun donation"....
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:20:51 PM EDT
[#1]
www.theindychannel.com/news/3673690/detail.html

Do these people not understand that they could probably get more than $20 for those guns?  

The mindset that comes up with events such as this is foreign to me.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:20:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Try it and report back.  Get an extra one for me.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:24:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm sure there be a few of "grandads old war-guns" that will show up...   who knows.. other than that  I'm sure the quality of most will be sub-standard.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:27:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't let them kill those guns!!!!

Noooooooo!!!!
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:30:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:31:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Try it and report back.  Get an extra one for me.

The only problem with this is if you get a stolen gun. Then you have no paddle and you are up poo river.
I bet if anyone did this they would get warrant and go visit your house.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:31:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I would be willing to pay cash for grandads old war guns . . . if it is really grandads old war gun.  Seems I know just enough not to get taken for a ride, most times.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:36:15 PM EDT
[#8]
A woman walked into the local gunshop here and handed two nicely customized Colt 1911's to the owner and asked if he could have them destroyed for her.  Her father had died and left the guns, and she didn't want them in the house.  An honest man, he put the guns on consignment and gave her  the sales (less consignment fees).
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:46:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:49:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Run an ad in the legal section of your local paper,Anounce that it is a gun buy back ,and state $25.00 to $50.00 per firearm brought to you.And for those not able to make it to your front yard,you will provide a pick up service for those unwanted guns.
It would be just as legal as one held by the city.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:54:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm seriously considering scoping out the place for any garands, carbines, ect.  that may pass through, not to mention a plethora of handguns. But what do you think would happen if someone but a big sign across the street stating your prices. I think the law would intervene... what do you think?hinking.gif
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:03:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I wish I could come across one of those gun buybacks here.  There are couple POS's weapons I have I want off the street.

Just no questions asked, like what the hell did I do to that thing?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:17:34 PM EDT
[#13]
If you set up an "education service" across the street on private property with permission to be there, there isn't a damn thing anyone can do about it.  A Bluebook and handouts with a list of local gun dealers,and a handout with your state's applicable laws would be a nice touch.  A really large sign with some values printed, such as "Smith and Wesson Revolvers:  Typical Value:  $250 to $500", ".22 Rifles:  $80 to $500", and so on would be a uselful addition.  Include a teaser at the bottom that tells the value of some examples of the example firearms is much higher if rare, antique, or in high demand.

Private sales to you are dependent on your state's laws, and regardless, the truly uninformed that are in line at the buy back are likely to be uneasy and usually unwilling to sell a firearm to an individual.  For all they know, everyone in sight needs a permit just to look at a firearm.  But you never know what might appear out of grandpa's sock drawer.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:45:19 PM EDT
[#14]
These gun buy-backs are also assuming the people are honest people. A lot of weapons have been turned in with no questions asked and who it belonged to. "If" a gun had been used in crime, this would be the place to dispose of it legally.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:52:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Oh yeah. That reminds me....the Indy 1500 gun show is this weekend......
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:00:26 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
If you set up an "education service" across the street on private property with permission to be there, there isn't a damn thing anyone can do about it.  A Bluebook and handouts with a list of local gun dealers,and a handout with your state's applicable laws would be a nice touch.  A really large sign with some values printed, such as "Smith and Wesson Revolvers:  Typical Value:  $250 to $500", ".22 Rifles:  $80 to $500", and so on would be a uselful addition.  Include a teaser at the bottom that tells the value of some examples of the example firearms is much higher if rare, antique, or in high demand.

Private sales to you are dependent on your state's laws, and regardless, the truly uninformed that are in line at the buy back are likely to be uneasy and usually unwilling to sell a firearm to an individual.  For all they know, everyone in sight needs a permit just to look at a firearm.  But you never know what might appear out of grandpa's sock drawer.

Helps to have a FFL, frame it, and have it on display, maybe?

'Federally Licensed Gun Buyer'
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:02:37 PM EDT
[#17]
If anything this encourages gun theft. "no questions asked"

Steal a gun, get rewarded $20 a piece.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top