Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2005 5:50:17 AM EDT
www.jsonline.com/news/metro/aug05/345710.asp

Today is last day for gun buy-back program

Citizens will have one last opportunity today to receive up to $150 for turning in handguns and sawed-off shotguns at St. Timothy Community Baptist Church, between 10 a.m. and noon.

The gun buy-back initiative, which began last week and has been funded by churches and business owners, has been so successful that it is almost out of money, said Milwaukee Ald. Michael McGee, who helped organize the initiative.

More than 80 guns have been purchased for $50 to $150 from people who turned them in at the church during two sessions last week, McGee's office said in a statement.

Aldermen will meet Friday with Mayor Tom Barrett to explore the possibility of city funding to continue the buy-back program, the statement says. Barrett chief of staff Patrick Curley said the mayor is interested in learning how the program has worked but noted Barrett is generally "skeptical" of the approach.

People turning in guns today should bring them, unloaded and in a carrying case, in the trunk of a vehicle to the church parking lot. Only handguns and sawed-off shotguns should be brought, not long rifles or hunting shotguns.

Saw the obligatory TV news shot of 'the table' of turned in firearms:

One S&W model 10, flanked by about half a dozen air guns.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:51:45 AM EDT
[#1]

can I send you my Hi-Point so I can get more than I paid for it?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:23:18 AM EDT
[#2]
What an idea!

I ought to gather up about $5K and advertise my own gun buy back program.  I'd imagine, I could make a hefty profit if I offered to buy guns for $50 each?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top