Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2009 2:18:06 AM EST
By JOHNNY CLARK
Associated Press Writer

ROSWELL, Ga. (AP) –– A Georgia liquor store clerk credits his police officer son with giving him two life-saving gifts - a cell phone and a gun.

Joseph Wescott says the phone he slipped into his shirt pocket stopped a knife to his chest when a robbery suspect attacked him at the store in a northern Atlanta suburb. He then reached under the counter for the .40-caliber handgun and shot the man.

"The knife that he had looked like it was about 10-foot long," the 67-year-old Wescott exclaimed.

When the suspect lunged at Wescott, he fell back and the knife struck the battery area of the phone, the clerk said. He then fired one shot at the man Monday night.

"That was the first time I had ever fired that gun," he said.

Police said Carlos JeanPeirre, 34, is recovering from non-life threatening wounds and faces multiple charges including aggravated assault and attempted robbery.

Wescott's son, Jason, said he gave both gifts to his father to keep him safe.

"Something like that can happen in a split second and it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it," Jason Wescott said.

After the attack, Joseph Wescot said he used his cell phone to call 911.

© 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be

Link Posted: 6/18/2009 2:20:47 AM EST
Goes to show that even someone with an unproven weapon, and no training, can still benefit from having said weapon. Not the best circumstance, but beats being dead.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 4:28:33 AM EST
Good for the Clerk, to bad he didn't shoot the asshole in the face !
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 4:29:59 AM EST
Glock?
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 4:44:12 AM EST
Well, I'll give the benefit of the doubt to him.

It reads:

"That was the first time I had ever fired that gun," he said.

He may have fired many guns in his life, just not that one.

I guess it doesn't matter though, he used it and it saved his life either way.

Link Posted: 6/18/2009 4:59:48 AM EST
To bad he only got off one round.

Because, unfortunately, the taxpayers are going to have to pay to try and incarcerate Carlos. Hell, the taxpayers are probably footing the bill for his medical care in the poky, too.

Good shoot, but it could have gone better.

- CD
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 11:08:02 AM EST
I posted the same story 2 days ago
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 12:27:25 PM EST
good shoot, not a good enough ending.
Top Top