Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 9/18/2011 5:17:28 PM EST
I've got my first safe on the way and I'm curious how to light the inside of it. It's going to go in a dark corner of my basement that has a single spotlight so I would like some decent interior lighting.

Should I do battery powered LED or should I find a plug in solution.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 4:53:49 PM EST
Check this out - I ordered a kit but have not yet installed it. Comes with both AC and battery system
Link to posting

Website
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:02:23 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2011 5:04:53 PM EST by WHITE_WOLFE]
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:08:18 PM EST
I installed rope lighting in mine. See them advertised during the holidays. I'm sure an amazon search will turn up something.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:09:53 PM EST
I use a tap light from the dollar store
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:10:14 PM EST
Heres what I did after a reading a thread by another member here in the safes section.

Got and extension cord. cut the end. snaked it through the hole in the back of the safe. used this to supply power to the outlet.

used one side of the outlet (always hot, to power the golden rod).

the other side is switchable via a 120V switch. the door. closes, the lights are off, door opens, lights are on.

Also the lights are LED rope lights from home depot. i think 13ft was what i used. all the wires were tucked and hidden, and the exposed wires were wrapped with black wire wrap.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:11:44 PM EST
I have some of those 'click on' battery powered LED lights.

HOWEVER... since I live alone, I rarely access the safe. So I periodically leave them on, and it doesn't matter that they can run for a week or so on a set of batteries.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:15:04 PM EST
I tried those click on lights and the pod ones and the long fluorescent click on battery operated lights.

but they always seemed to either not light the area you wanted to go to, had a dead battery or took up space for new guns.

thus the conversion to the 110v supplied lights.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:17:49 PM EST
Home Depot, Lowe's, and I think even Wal-Mart sell some battery powered LED lights that you either touch or push on. I got 2 that are round that you push on/off and another longer one that turns on/off simply by touching it. The long one even swivels side to side. All of them have a magnetic backing or double sided tape to mount them. They are made by Sylvania. I've got one mounted under the shelf that is above my safe and then one inside the safe and they work pretty good. They give off enough light for you to see without lighting up the entire room for others to see.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:24:52 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2011 5:27:32 PM EST by DSRV]
Look on Ebay for LED Strip Lights.

Add a small switch, and a 12VDC transformer and you're GTG.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:28:35 PM EST
Rope lights around the inside on the door side. I wired them up to an oven light switch so that every time I open the door, the light automatically comes on. I can't imagine a much better and cheaper way of lighting a safe.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:31:12 PM EST
Glowsticks.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:46:03 PM EST
Put light rope around the inside, there some threads about doing this. I can't recall the right forum though. I'm sure someone will get you that info if they haven't already. I did it and it works great.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:54:06 PM EST
i bought some battery led lights. i have some in the safe, they work great, and one on the wall next to the safe, so i can read the combo if the power goes out. got them at walmart for under ten bucks.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:35:25 PM EST
I did battery powered LED's with velcro. They work great. You can place them where ever you want.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:48:28 PM EST
I used a puck light kit from Home Depot. AC power, plenty bright and came with a switch. I also have a small fluorescent lamp in there in case of a no power situation. Can't remember who makes it though.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:52:11 PM EST
I put a rope light (like above), around the inside, then a motion sensor outlet on the floor. When I open the door, the light goes on.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:54:45 PM EST
Plug the rope light into a motion switch found here.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:07:25 PM EST

Originally Posted By Lord_Grey_Boots:
I put a rope light (like above), around the inside, then a motion sensor outlet on the floor. When I open the door, the light goes on.

I keep the light on, works just like a Goldenrod when constantly lit.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:11:36 PM EST
I have rope lighting and put a small limit switch on the door sill to activate it. To attach it I used short drywall screws and zip ties. Sorry, no pics at the moment.

Total cost was under $10.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:15:46 PM EST
I got a handfull of those stick on 4-5" diamater push on lights, battery powered. They sorta suck but I think they cost $5 for a box of 4 at big lots or wal-mart or soemthing, I forget it was years ago.
Top Top