Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/4/2002 8:23:27 AM EDT
I have a gunsafe with gun slots the entire width. The shelf is ~39" wide. I'd like to redesign it to have an open area on the left about 12" wide. This will make it easier to accommodate my AR50 and other big guns I eventually get. Here is my current setup. [img]www.oregontrailsafeco.com/int_collectoroption.gif[/img] And what I wish for. Except the open space on the left, not the right. [img]www.oregontrailsafeco.com/int_collector.gif[/img] I called up Liberty Safe and they don't sell any interiors separately. Home Depot time. I can make both shelf's out of 1/2" or 3/8" plywood and cut the holes, no problem. What I need is some type of covering so the guns won't get scratched. And how do I attach the covering, staples, glue etc. Anyone have any suggestions?
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 9:04:29 AM EDT
I buy my safes without interiors. I use indoor/outdoor carpeting on floors and shelves. I make armory type racks from 1in. X 1in. thick wall tubing and cover with pipe insulation...
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 9:09:12 AM EDT
Did you call National Security? They sent me some extra shelves without problems, and used to advertise that you could change the interior configuration by buying panels from them. I think Liberty bought them out, so my idea may not work. Guess I won't buy Liberty next time around, either.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 9:29:04 AM EDT
Did you buy your safe from a local dealer? The dealer I bought my Ft. Knox from has said that they'd be happy to swap out any internal shelving, so long as it was in resaleable condition. I've already taken them up on this once. Even if they won't swap it outright, you may be able to get a dealer to order you what you need.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 9:51:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/4/2002 9:53:35 AM EDT by Yankee1911]
What type of covering are you trying to install? I would say that you should head back to Home Despot and pick up a can of 3m 77 Spray Adhesive if you're looking to cover with cloth (felt, etc.). It'll work on leather and a lot of other things, too. Just think of it as duct tape in a spray can. [;)] Yankee(thecabinetmaker)1911 - Sorry, ETH, I had to. [:)] Edited because I'm spelling challenged.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 9:59:22 AM EDT
I personally like to hang stuff with velcro so I would shy away from felt as it will pull and would go w/indoor outdoor or interior commercial carpet. I would look for a remnant as well. it would save you a lot. Also the 3M stuff is good, but i would use a staple gun as well.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 10:16:25 AM EDT
Yes it is a National Security and Liberty bought them out. I had a local dealer call and they said no can do. Probably any safe dealer should be able to help because the dimensions should be about the same. Maybe not because of firelining. Yankee1911, I like the idea of that adhesive, I just don't know what to use yet. Something which will protech the guns and not scratch them and somethin which can conform to the outline of the shelf with cutouts.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 10:10:27 PM EDT
just an idea: try velvet from a fabric store; that 3M Super 77 spray adhesive is the way to go in attaching that kind of thing too
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 11:52:38 PM EDT
If you don't care about it matching, cover the wood with bedliner/rubber paint. Tate
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 4:40:03 AM EDT
Fyi, I've purchased the 3m spray and picked up some 1/2" strait plywood. Its hard to find some strait plywood. I'm thinking I probably should have purchased 3/4" but we'll see how this works. I also picked up a 6'x9' indoor/outdoor carpet of the same approximate color. I'll start measuring and cutting soon. Maybe I'll take some photos and post them. I'm in no hurry.
Top Top