Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2001 7:43:42 PM EDT
Ok - I'm getting a safe.  The one I'm looking at is pretty basic with it's shelving layout - its a an El Cheapo Sentry from Walmart - $368

Main function - keep the kids safe.  Fire and thievery - well, if the thief is in, he's in and if the place burns, it burns.

My question - It comes with the little carpeted rifle holder things - the "U" things that you set your rifle in when its standing up, but it's pretty sparse on shelving.  I wanted to mount a pegboard into the door, but don't know what's back there - I mean, can I just drill into the carpet that is lining the door and mount a pegboard on it with screws?

Same thing - if I want to add additional shelving inside the unit, can I drill into the carpeted walls?  I figure the carpet is wrapped around wood that is then mounted to the inside walls of the safe and to the inside of the door.

I didn't buy it yet, just wondering if what I'm thinking is on the right track.

ALSO - will it damage a safe to lay it on its side during transport or does it have to stay standing straight up the whole time.  Have a mini-van, but can't stand it straight up.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 7:45:21 PM EDT
[#1]
You wouldnt happen to have a pic and specs on the safe would you?  I need a cheepy safe for the apt.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 7:49:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 7:51:43 PM EDT
[#3]
If it's the same sentry I'm thinking of, there are 4 brackets running along the sides. You can get clips from the hardware store to mount additional shelves. The brackets run low enough to where you'd run into the top of most rifles, so you don't need to do any more drilling.

Instead of pegboard, think velcro. The carpet is a loop type - the hook part of velcro will stick to it and hold a lot of weight.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 8:09:13 PM EDT
[#4]
This link shows the Sentry line that the Walmart near me has for sale.  The Walmart has the two el cheapos on the left.  $300 for the little one and $368 for the bigger one next to it.

http://www.deansafe.com/economy.html
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 8:16:46 PM EDT
[#5]
At an old residence of mine, I converted a secure closet into a gun locker. I made a carpeted shelf to rest the rifles on, and I used 21 or so "[b]U[/b]" shaped hooks that screwed into some wooden planks I ran across the walls. The U hooks were 60 cents apiece or so at Home Depot. It held them up pretty well.
Here's a pic:
[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/028/dj/a1/gj/fO36008.jpg[/img]
Your limit is your imagination.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 5:59:09 PM EDT
[#6]
We're getting one of these for my buddy in a couple of days. We are going to paint it gray and put high voltage stickers on it, and bolt it to the wall.
He lives in an apartmant and it may be the perfect camo.
scratch
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 6:11:59 PM EDT
[#7]
A buddy of mine bought a high-dollar (1400 bones or so) Liberty Safe. He didn't like the little wooden pegs they offered as an option to screw into the inside of the door for holding pistols, so he worked out his own deal. He drilled the holes where the safe people said he could, then took clear vaccuum tubing and slid it over regular steel pegboard hooks, and hung them in the holes he drilled. Now his pistols just hang from the trigger guards, and the vaccuum tubing keeps them protected from scratches.

You may need to find out from Sentry what's up as far as drilling into the door, but if you can, you may not need to mount a pegboard to have hooks. Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 6:27:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been eyeballing those safes for a couple of weeks myself.  But I haven't done much research.  Pros vs. Cons anyone???
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 6:35:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I just bought one of those two.I believe 300 dollars, it was the best walmart had and I will be moving into an aprtment soon so it was a good size choice. I believe they said 12 gun safe? It's green sentry with three bolts in the door and a + shaped key, as in 4 sides. It seems decently sturdy.. I like the idea of High electricty and painting it gray.

As far as the shelves there is no need to drill like the previous post said it has standard shelving track on the two side walls , just buy some brackets from home depot and cut some wood shelves then carpet them.

BTW the lag bolts that come with it are complete junk. sheared the head off one and bent the other.. Buy hardened steel bolts and metal lags to replace the junk they give you
Would like to hear others opinions as this is my only safe purchase
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 6:39:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
At an old residence of mine, I converted a secure closet into a gun locker. I made a carpeted shelf to rest the rifles on, and I used 21 or so "[b]U[/b]" shaped hooks that screwed into some wooden planks I ran across the walls. The U hooks were 60 cents apiece or so at Home Depot. It held them up pretty well.
Here's a pic:
[img]pic deleted from quote[/img]
Your limit is your imagination.
View Quote

That is sweet...I had similar plans to do a closet... I was planning to pull the drywall out and redo the entire thing with Durock, and replace the door with a steel door. deadbolt into the floor, top frame, and regular handle spot.  One of these days I'll actually make it... gotta get the wife to clear our the closet.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 6:51:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Get a firelined safe... here's mine....

[img]http://www.student.smsu.edu/s/srv656s/room3.jpg[/img]

400 lbs. Holds 9+ guns. Firelined. $750 after tax. From Bass Pro Shop. Manufactured by Browning.

Shawn
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top