Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/18/2004 12:41:02 AM EST
Gun Recoil Claims Life of 12 Year Old Boy

The Lexington Leader
September 18, 2004

A 12-year-old San Antonio boy died Saturday afternoon south of Giddings when he was struck on the top of the head by the recoil of a Ruger .454 gun he was firing. The boy, identified by the Lee County Sheriff’s Office as Marcus Wall, was pronounced dead at the scene by Justice of the Peace Paul Fischer.

Sheriff’s Deputy Rodney Meyer stated that the victim and his father, Marc Wall, were with friends dove hunting on the Zoch place off County Road 233. Deputy Meyer reported that when the hunters took a break for lunch, they began shooting a variety of guns owned within the group. The Ruger .454 Casull was purportedly owned by Joe Ramsey of Austin.

According to the Sheriff’s report, when Marcus asked to shoot the Ruger, Ramsey told the young boy the gun was too large for him to shoot. However, allegedly it was later “ OK’ed for him [Marcus] to shoot the gun”. The report did not identify who gave permission for the child to shoot, though Ramsey stood by the boy when he fired.

From the Sheriff’s account of the incident, Marcus was instructed how to hold and shoot the gun. “Mr. Ramsey assisted the victim [when taking aim] by holding his hand above the victim’s [hands] for the recoil,” explained Deputy Meyer.

When the gun was fired, the gun recoiled upward, hitting Marcus in the head causing head trauma. The gun’s owner, Ramsey, received injury to his fingers but was not transported for medical attention.

The Sheriff’s Office 911 dispatch received two calls reporting the incident, though only the second caller could identify their location. Deputy Mike York advised dispatch that he was in the area and had been flagged down and directed to the location. Upon arrival at the scene, Deputy York radioed to dispatch to cancel the call for an ambulance and to send out a Justice of the Peace.

The recoil velocity of the Ruger .454 has been noted for its strength for some time. In a May 2001 article in Shooting Times, author Dick Metcalf reported that “...when the .454 Casull version of the Super Redhawk was introduced in 1999, Ruger spokesmen candidly acknowledged they did not expect the new chambering to be shot a lot for casual plinking or for steel-target competition. Its recoil was simply too severe.”

Deputy Meyer stated that the case is still under investigation.

www.lexingtonleader.com/story10.shtml
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 12:42:33 AM EST
Damn, that really sucks.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 12:51:08 AM EST
I feel bad for the kid but if that killed him something was wrong
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 12:53:00 AM EST
Can anyone confirm this is true. I've heard of these story's before, sounds like an urban legend.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 12:53:30 AM EST
He was just too small for the gun. Head injuries are funny, some guys dont go down, some guys take one hit and die.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 1:01:47 AM EST

This is very sad.

And a fathers nightmare. But why would a man let a boy that age fire a weapon like that?

It was irresponsible.

Not the guns fault as the media will say.

Zen

"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine"
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 1:36:12 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 1:41:09 AM EST
If this is true then it really tragic. I don't think I'd let my 12 year old shoot any handgun caliber over 9mm.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 1:47:30 AM EST

When I was in eighth grade or so, an older friend of my brother gave a friend of mine a S&W 44mag to shoot and it whapped him in the forehead.

He had never fired one. He was about thirteen I guess.

I had heard rumors for some time that this could happen with that caliber, but I did not believe it until my friend got whacked.

If true, this is very sad indeed. I know that father will never forgive himself.

Zen

"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine"

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 1:58:26 AM EST
Sad but irresponsible for the "adults" to let the kid shoot it. The owner should have known that one hand over the gun wouldnt have stopped it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:12:48 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/18/2004 2:13:26 AM EST by cyanide]
This happened to me in a way -- grandkids wanted to shoot the 44 mag I had (with stout loads)

I relented and told one how to do it, Yes TJ, I told them all about it --- he still had the gun come back and nick him on the forehead -- not a major hurt , but if it had been the eye..................................... , well , I'm glad it wasn't.

If just one dad - gramp pa whoever reads this and can avoid an injury to a kid -------- it is well worth my confession of stupidity.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:12:51 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:15:31 AM EST
I've still got a little scar on my cheek from shooting a shotgun for the first time, but dang, dying. Seems irresponsible for the adults but I'm sure no one could have ever expected for what happened to have happened.

Digital
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:41:10 AM EST

Originally Posted By DoubleFeed:
Read closely. This hasn't happened yet. Right now is Saturday MORNING, Sept 18.
Is this a fake story, or did a reporter and editor let something obvious slip by?

Good catch, email them their error to see what they say.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:44:47 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:49:41 AM EST

I took my 10 year old sister shooting with me a few years ago (she's 14 now). She had never shot before, and I handed her my Colt Officer's Model, after explaining to her to gun safety, to take a good stance, to tense up her arms to prepare for recoil, etc.

Well, on her first shot out of that .45, the hammer hit her right between the eyes. Even after my little talk, she had been completely unprepared for it. She didn't drop the weapon, thank goodness, although I thought she would.

But she never shot another firearm again, no matter how many times I offered to take her, or showed her my new .22.

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:54:44 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:57:14 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 3:04:42 AM EST
Must have happened last Saturday. Poor writing.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 3:11:59 AM EST

Originally Posted By Aimless:

Is this a fake story, or did a reporter and editor let something obvious slip by?

Look at the link, that's part of the header of the paper, there is no date on the story itself, I would be skeptical about this one til Iheard more though!

Nay, take a peek:

A 12-year-old San Antonio boy died Saturday afternoon south of Giddings when he was struck on the top of the head by the recoil of a Ruger .454 gun he was firing. The boy, identified by the Lee County Sheriff’s Office as Marcus Wall, was pronounced dead at the scene by Justice of the Peace Paul Fischer.
His death is in the future.

Its saturday night here. Maybe he's just very badly jetlagged
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 3:14:20 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/18/2004 3:14:51 AM EST by DoubleFeed]
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 3:16:04 AM EST
Very sad prayers sent This sounds like a horible accident!

I wonder how many 12 year old boys died on bicycles last weekend???
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 3:21:42 AM EST
My first rifle shot was a 30-30 and I got a nice scope eye scar to prove. Thanks Uncle Ben I have an old ass .410 that my 11 year old daughter wanted to shoot. I let her shoot it after instructing her for several minutes. She is no stranger to recoil, so this was just a repeat of similar lessons in the past. However, she was anticipating a solid kick instead of the rise and that gun smacked her square in the face. I felt horrible, but I am not sure what else I could have told her before I let her shoot. She is a veteran shooter of my ARs, pisotls, and had at least fired a 12 gauge once (with help). I would have never imagined somebody would be killed in this manner.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 3:32:01 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/18/2004 3:33:17 AM EST by widmn]
Its not irresponsible, its ignorance, and its happened to me too with my grandson and a 44 mag.. Fortunately, wasn't hurt bad. I would never have guessed that it would fly up and hit him in hte head but it did and then fly back and landed on the pavement. He was OK and both of us were shocked. This is terribly tragic for the father and mother. My prayers to all.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 3:39:56 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 3:50:34 AM EST

Originally Posted By Hipster:
Upon arrival at the scene, Deputy York radioed to dispatch to cancel the call for an ambulance and to send out a Justice of the Peace.

Why would he do that?
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 3:51:56 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 4:12:36 AM EST

Originally Posted By RodeoFan:

Upon arrival at the scene, Deputy York radioed to dispatch to cancel the call for an ambulance and to send out a Justice of the Peace.

Why would he do that?

I also wondered that.

When I am at a "crine scene" where there is a death I request a homocide detective, and a Deputy Coroner. All three of us are peace officers, but we have different areras of expertise and responsibility.

Ruger will be paying a heafty settlement I'm sure.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 4:35:34 AM EST
I've owned one of these handguns...
Even for a grown adult, they are a handfull... I sold it after I broke two scopes due to the recoil...
A very NASTY gun to shoot...
Barrel porting would make a major difference... The Taurus Raging Bull I had, was much nicer to shoot in .454 Casull...
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 4:36:07 AM EST
I don't know why anyone would let a youngster that age shoot a 454. I've got one and it can punish a person that is accustomed to shooting heavy 44 loads. When shooting it with one hand it will buck in an arc fairly high. If the poor boy could have just kept his arm outstreched and let the thing go up. It is possible that by holding his hand over the boys that the adult contributed to the problem in that the hand might have risen up and over instead of back into the head.

There is only one way to shoot a pistol like that and it is to let it rock and roll, you damn sure are not going to hold it down. Kinda a rolling thing.

I know one thing if I wanted to make someone gunshy for life that is the weapon I would let them shoot. Or possibly a ten gauge with lead shot.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 4:41:41 AM EST

Originally Posted By TexasRooter:
I don't know why anyone would let a youngster that age shoot a 454. I've got one and it can punish a person that is accustomed to shooting heavy 44 loads. When shooting it with one hand it will buck in an arc fairly high. If the poor boy could have just kept his arm outstreched and let the thing go up. It is possible that by holding his hand over the boys that the adult contributed to the problem in that the hand might have risen up and over instead of back into the head.

There is only one way to shoot a pistol like that and it is to let it rock and roll, you damn sure are not going to hold it down. Kinda a rolling thing.

I know one thing if I wanted to make someone gunshy for life that is the weapon I would let them shoot. Or possibly a ten gauge with lead shot.

That is what came to my mind that helping the kid is what caused him to be killed.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 4:50:02 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:03:14 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:08:23 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/18/2004 5:09:19 AM EST by Da_Bunny]
Very sad. Just too damn much gun.

I expect Mom is gonna go after Ruger.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:18:59 AM EST
Yup, another instance of irresponsibility and saying no means NO! STOP ASKING. Way too much gun for any 12 year old. I've been shooting mine for a good while and still get a surge of adreniline when touching off full house loads. A friend of mine who is 6'3" and 240 lbs. shot three rounds and said "OK, thats enough for me!" Still feel bad for everyone involved. I hope we don't find out the kid was abused instead and this was the cover up! I'm gonna go hug my kids for awhile.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:22:46 AM EST
Bad story. Condolences for all involved.

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:22:55 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:27:30 AM EST

I don't know this for a fact, but this is probably a small town newspaper that comes out in a weekly edition.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:29:58 AM EST
Very sad for the boy and his father....

I've seen a full grown man fire a .454 Casull... that thing is a CANNON. The recoil whipped the gun over his shoulder, pointing PAST vertical.

I wouldn't even want to touch a .454 Casull. I'm happy with my .357 Mag.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:50:59 AM EST
This story sounds fishy to me. I hope it isn't true. And if it is it is very sad.

I have never fired a 454 but it is hard to believe it can kill someone with recoil.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:13:04 AM EST

Originally Posted By bookertbab:
This story sounds fishy to me. I hope it isn't true. And if it is it is very sad.

I have never fired a 454 but it is hard to believe it can kill someone with recoil.

It is probably true, the date on the article was Sept 18.

I've shot my buddy's 5 shot Casul, with true Casull factory ammo, the recoil was awesome. This gun is nothing for a rookie shooter. My buddy, hand loads and he just loads his ammo at approximately 44 mag levels, and that was a handful. That is very irresponsible of the dad. I would never let my children fire a gun, I that I even think he/she couldn't handle.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:22:33 AM EST
It's believable...when we were kids, my brother and I went to the range for the first time...my brother shot a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 magnum...once...it almost flew out of his hands when he shot it...the Casull must be vicious...if I ever shoot one, I'm wearing a motorcycle helmet!
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:47:43 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/18/2004 6:48:47 AM EST by AZMAN-1]
I recently let my 20 yr. old daughter shoot my .44 mag, but before doing so I loaded only 1 rnd. and told her very specificlly what to expect as far as the recoil was concerned, she shot it and it did come back at her but she managed to hold it down.

Needless to say she is not 'into' big bore handguns now, but she still loves my 92fs and my S/W 686, and of course my black rifle......

Very sad out come for the young boy, prayers sent for him, and most importantly his parents who I think will need them more right now.....
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:16:31 AM EST

Well, out here, we have a Saturday in each week... and the days keep repeating themself over a seven day period (we call it a week) -- not perhaps as efficient as your system with a unique name for each day of eternity, but easier to remember than all those names, ya know?
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:23:04 AM EST
How does it compare to a S&W 500?
I got to shoot one a few weeks ago.
It was rough, but not unbearable.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:26:11 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/18/2004 7:28:47 AM EST by JHP]
I'd never let my kids shoot a 454 casull...but that is just me. Too much gun for them to appreciate.

The Casull is punishment

Sad story if true
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 9:43:50 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 9:54:26 AM EST
sad

so should kids wear helmets or something when shooting big bore guns?
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:00:31 AM EST

Originally Posted By Striker:

Originally Posted By RodeoFan:

Why would he do that?

My thoughts too. Around here a Dr. is the only one who can pronounce. Paramedics can't even do it.

J.P.s pronounce the majority of the time in Texas. It is one of their constitutional duties.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:03:55 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:06:28 AM EST

Originally Posted By RomaRana:
members.fortunecity.com/howda/pics/calibros/head.jpg

ouch!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top