Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2004 8:24:42 AM EDT
I just received a letter from GOA and in that letter was a brief outline of the voting record of my Congressional representatives in regard to firearms legislation. The letter also included an envelope addressed to the campaign of a Congressional candidate running for a Congressional seat from my state along with a form to be used to send in a contribution to that candidates campaign.
Not one attempt was made by GOA in this letter to ask me for a donation to GOA. This letter was sent on GOAs dime strictly for the benefit of me and the candidate. I like that.  I will contribute to the candidate and I will renew my membership in GOA.
GOA is actively trying to get pro American candidates elected rather than just trying to scare me into sending them money. I respect that.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:29:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I am a life member of the GOA, and I cannot recall a single instance where they solicited me for a donation.

I get at least 2 solicitations a week from the NRA, and they are usually accompanied by a letter saying "John Kerry and the UN are going to confiscate all of your guns unless you donate $28.56 today"
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:33:31 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I am a life member of the GOA, and I cannot recall a single instance where they solicited me for a donation.

I get at least 2 solicitations a week from the NRA, and they are usually accompanied by a letter saying "John Kerry and the UN are going to confiscate all of your guns unless you donate $28.56 today"

All you have to do to the NRA is call them, tell them that all you want is your magazine and the bill for your dues...they will remove you from a mailing list...I did that and all I get the the American Rifleman
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:18:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:37:42 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
GOA, nice people but they get nothing done. MIKE.

I beg to differ. I personally know many folks who got involved in gun issues politically as a result of GOA and their Legislative Action Center that may not have done so otherwise.  This involvement contributed in part to the AWB's demise. GOA also keeps one abreast of other potential gun legislation and provides the tools for folks to contact their elected representatives and get involved in the fight. I would hardly call that "getting nothing done."
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:42:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

They ask for a donation in every postcard mailing they do.

If you read the "checkboxes" where it asks you what you're willing to do.

One is to send the post cards. The other is something I can't remember. Then they have one saying make an additional donation.

It's not in your face spam like the NRA sends out though.

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:43:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I may need to join GOA.  I would like to see them grow to the size of the NRA but that probably won't happen.  They are much more "right wing" on their ideas regarding gun ownership and 2A rights.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:44:17 AM EDT
[#7]
GOA > Nice people, nice website, small membership = small clout

NRA > Nice people, nice websites, large membership = large clout

GET BOTH  
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:54:41 PM EDT
[#8]
A GOA letter that did something other than bash the NRA? sounds like they are turning into a pro-gun group, instead of a anti-NRA org.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:29:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Just joined a few hours ago myself.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:31:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

+1! AND they're right down the street from me!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top