Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2006 3:04:39 PM EDT
I have a 10/22 I want to paint a matte black. The reciever is stainless and the barrel is blued.
Do I have them sand blasted?
Is Gun-Kote a good way to go?
Any other options besides sending it off?
I'm looking for the parkarized look.

thanks
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:29:55 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I have a 10/22 I want to paint a matte black. The reciever is stainless and the barrel is blued.
Do I have them sand blasted?
Is Gun-Kote a good way to go?
Any other options besides sending it off?
I'm looking for the parkarized look.

thanks

I've had the following items GunKote'd by Mac's Shootin Iron Restorations:
1.  Bushmaster lower receiver
2.  SIG P226 and magazines
3.  Ten steel AR mags.

1.  He will bead-blast the surface to clean and rough it.
2.  You could try it yourself, but the gear and effort would be better spent making a trip to UPS/FedEx store to send it off to a professional.
3.  The black does look parkerized.

The finish is very resistant to corrosion.  It's very slick (molybdenum disulfide), but it can chip on some working areas.  However, as an external finish it should be fairly durable, and comes in a variety of colors.

A new version of Mac's proces, Tuff-Gun, applies the GunKote over a fresh zinc parkerizing job.  Tuff-Gun 2 addes something else on top of the GunKote.

www.shootiniron.com
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:55:57 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top