Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2002 7:26:15 PM EDT
I was pondering what areas exactly fall within 1000' of a school. So, I pulled up mapquest and map up a map of the area I live in and the schools in the area. I then placed 1000' radius circles on each school and marked 'em red. Then, I placed blue dot on each restraunt or store I shop or eat at. 4 of 'em fell within 1000' of a school and 1 was within 1000' of 3 seperate schools. All 4 are restraunts. That means even if I had a CCW I couldn't carry a gun in these restraunts because I am within 1000' of a school zone.

So, here is my map:

[img]http://noreno.no-ip.com:800/pns.png[/img]
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 8:37:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I thought they repealed the "Gun Free School Zone"?

A friend of mine back home lives in a development right across the street from an Elementary school.  Backyard is right across the road from the school property.  He owns a few pistols.  I never understood that whole thing, cause if it was in effect, wouldn't my friend have to move or get rid of his guns?

And I drive past 3 schools when going to the range, so I'd have guns within 100 feet of the school!  [:(]

-Sam
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 12:15:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, it was overturned 10 years ago by SCOTUS. But, congress passed a new version of it a few years later and this version hasn't yet been overturned. The original law was overturned for lack of IC Nexus. So, the 2nd time Congress added an entire paragraph of Bullshit about how guns hurt education and bad education hurts IC, etc...

But, there is a clause that says you can have a gun in your car within a school zone. Another says you can keep a gun in your car on school grounds if it is locked and unloaded. I believe there is a clause that if you come within 1000' while hunting or something like that and another that excepts possession in your home and on private property. The real problem is that if you step on the side walk in front of your house, you have commited a federal offense CCW be damned. But, if you get in your car you can take it wherevr you are going. But, you cannot have the gun off your property if you are within 1000' of a school unless you are within your vehicle.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 4:28:25 AM EDT
[#3]
go to [url]www.atf.treas.gov[/url], read into the section that covers school zone. You can live in, drive through and possess as long as all activities are legal. Do a search here as links and copied text were provided.

I live with in 500 foot of a school, can see the main entrance frm my front door looking between the 2 houses across the street. I own both Title-1 and Title-2 guns. There is a C2 outside my neighborhood that is within 1000 foot or close to that  outside the high school property.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 9:35:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I just wonder what this means to CCW in malls and restraunts that fall within 1000' of a school.

I am 20 right now. But, as soon as I turn 21 I plan on applying for a CCW. But, if the restraunt I eat at or store or mall I shop at is in a school zone, then would I be able to carry even with a CCW ?
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 10:41:11 AM EDT
[#5]
So long as your activites are legal, and shop allows/supports CCW on premise's, should not be a problem. I may be wrong. Check your staate laws if applicable. May even ask here:[url]http://subguns.biggerhammer.net/sword.cgi[/url]
or here:[url]http://subguns.biggerhammer.net/mgmsg.cgi[/url]  as a lot of dealers and other read/reply there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top