Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2005 10:06:05 AM EDT
WHIOTV.com
Gun Demonstration Turned Dangerous At Local School
May 20, 2005

KETTERING, Ohio -- A gun demonstration took a dangerous turn at a Kettering school on Friday.

Authorities said a teacher at Van Buren Middle School was showing students how to load a black powder rifle when he fired the gun. He did not realize that the rifle had a live round in it.

Investigators said the teacher was in the parking lot with about 30 students when he aimed the gun away from the school and toward a construction site on the school grounds. They said when he fired the gun, a live round discharged and struck a tool trailer.

School officials said the teacher was unaware that the gun was loaded with the live round. Authorities said no students were injured during the incident.

Kettering police were called to investigate after several neighbors in the area heard the gun discharge, striking the tool trailer. They said no charges will be filed against the teacher.

However, some parents feel that the teacher should be held accountable and disciplined by the district.

The superintendent of Kettering schools sent a letter home to all Van Buren students, telling parents about the incident and that no students were ever in danger.

School officials said the incident was simply an accident.

www.whiotv.com/news/4513602/detail.html
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 10:16:04 AM EDT
[#1]
WTF? It's blackpowder for cryin' out loud. Is something so different in a blackpowder rifle? I thought you had to manual push a bullet down the barrel with a rod or something to load it.

Ben
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 10:20:17 AM EDT
[#2]
How the fuck do you put a loaded round in accidentally? I've done some reinacting and ramrods are never used, you can just drop the bullet in (in most cases), you need to push it home. I have heard of lead accumulating in the barrel from previous live rounds and then comming out on a live fire.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 10:21:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Yep.. They think its an assault weapon.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 10:24:50 AM EDT
[#4]
  Can't muster up much sympathy for him. Idiot should have checked at HOME to see if it was loaded, not at school. I put him in the same league as the " I'm the only one" Glock incident. Stupid, irresponsible, and probably made a few anti gun moms out of the incident.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 10:26:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice work, kid.  How could you not know there was a "loaded round" when you were fucking demonstrating the loading of the powder & bullet?    Thanks for being stupid and screwing things up for the rest of the kids.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 10:33:25 AM EDT
[#6]
How. The. Fuck.

We could eliminate a vast portion of the idiots of the world by simply increasing the speed limit in front of High Schools and Junior Highs to 75 MPH, and eliminating any penalty for roadkill.

If you are dumb enough to step into traffic, we can probably find someone smarter to flip burgers.....
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 10:37:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 10:51:49 AM EDT
[#8]
something seems very wrong with this.  maybe the wad flew that far??  how could you not know if you rammed a lead ball down the barrel or not.  maybe he already had it loaded and then demonstrated how to load another on top of the first?  in any case i get the feeling there is some info being left out of this story.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 11:05:20 AM EDT
[#9]
What a maroon!  Great way to turn a potentially positive experience into a scary situation for those kids.

When I was in elementary school one of the teachers wanted to demonstrate propulsion.  He rigged a cable across the playground and hung a CO2 cartridge from a wire.  Then he pierced the cartridge and let 'er rip.  This was before clearing the flight path.  It nailed one girl in the head (I remember her name, Aurora)!  Opened up her onion pretty good.  Mr. D. continued to teach but we never saw that demonstration again.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 11:15:35 AM EDT
[#10]
That dumb SOB makes the rest of us look bad.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top