Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2005 7:27:06 PM EDT
I finally decided on an Epiphone Les Paul for my first electric, and the local music shop has them for $500. I've found that I can get the same guitar NIB from eBay for about $350 + S/H from a reputable seller, but its my understanding  that Epiphone's warranty only applies to guitars purchased from authorized dealers. So, is the warranty worth the extra $100-$150? What kind of things could need repair (besides strings) on a well-cared for guitar?

Nate
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:30:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Me my own self, I would buy secondhand. Never depended/needed on a waratee when I bought new.

Epiphones are decent goods.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:35:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought an Epi SG from ebay and when I got I discovered the truss rod was screwed up. The seller exchanged it for me but I was out the return shipping. Still got a good price and the replacement has been great. I have heard about switch problems on the Epiphones but mine has been OK so far. Its about a year old now.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:46:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Depends on what condition the guitar is in - if it was taken care of and not beat on, then you shouldn't need a warranty. Things to look for would be electronics and whether or not the pots/switchjacks are crackly, making sure the neck relief is OK (truss rod), making sure that the frets are good and that the guitar hasn't been left in a dry place where the fingerboard shrinks and the frets poke through the neck binding (if there is any) and make sure the tuners are good.  If those things look good, then I'd be pretty confident about the guitar.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:48:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Cool. All the ones I'm looking at are new, but sold by (I assume) unlicensed dealers.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:52:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I've been playing guitar for 18 years and I have never used a warranty for any of the many guitars I have owned.  I wouldn't worry about it.

Having said that, buying anything from ebay can be risky simply because you have no idea what condition the instrument may be in when you receive it and you have little to no recourse if it is in poor condition.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top