Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2014 1:48:53 AM EDT
I've personally never been a rabid fan of single coil sounds, on the playing side, although I can certainly appreciate their beauty in recordings, and God knows many if not most of my guitar heroes prefer them.  Can a died in the wool humbucker lover squeeze any pleasure from a quality soapbar pickup through the same sound paths that make humbuckers sing?  Basically, I'm on fence about a soapbar equipped guitar, and I sadly have never had much time with soapbars.  Any thoughts from the learned axe grinders and amp gurus here?  

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:01:39 AM EDT
[#1]
If your guitar is a bass guitar, then yes.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:08:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Have you tried Active PU's?

I am a diehard turned convert thanks to my Schecter Hellraiser!!

The sweetest of nectar's drips off These Mo Fo's!!

ETA: damn forgot to say the Duel mode (Single/Humbuckers)!!
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:10:29 AM EDT
[#3]
P90's or die!!!!
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:18:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I've thought about P-90s off and on over the years, but I can never seem to bring myself to spend the money on them. I have guitars with humbuckers, mini humbuckers, & single coils, and I guess I've been sastified enough with them that I don't feel the need for soapbars.

What brands/models of pickups do you have at the moment, and what kind of tone are you looking for. Butternut?
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:18:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Pick your guitar based on its feel and balance. How the neck feels. How thick / thin it is.  Tremolo?

Then chase sound.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:28:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Duncan rails was my metal answer. But you can get good tone and heat from some single coils.
I have one strat with rails, one strat with vintage singles. Together they complete the strat sound for me.
The main thing that is bad with single coils is the hum. There are ways to deal with this that don't involve a pickup change.
Also Duncan sells a 20db boost to heat up singles.

I have become an active pickup fan lately although I need a good outboard EQ in the chain to sculpt the sound.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:30:07 AM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've thought about P-90s off and on over the years, but I can never seem to bring myself to spend the money on them. I have guitars with humbuckers, mini humbuckers, & single coils, and I guess I've been sastified enough with them that I don't feel the need for soapbars.

What brands/models of pickups do you have at the moment, and what kind of tone are you looking for. Butternut?
View Quote
I guess I just need to get some playing time with them. I've read some accounts that they can sound like humbuckers with extra sparkle, but others have opined that they become downright unbearable when pushed hard like a good humbucker. First world problems

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:32:55 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

The sweetest of nectar's drips off Thesemo fo's!!
View Quote
I've never played any EMGs, but I think I need to.  

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:35:43 AM EDT
[#9]
humbuckers for me, all day long.

You didn't say what type(s) of music you play, which might make a difference I suppose. But for rock I wouldn't use anything but humbuckers. Never had a use for active pickups either.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:45:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Humbuckers are my go-to as well. I love my strat for stratty stuff, but a good humbucker guitar can't be beat.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:56:24 AM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:04:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:20:15 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I have split coil humbuckers...  switch them to "single coil" mode if I want to.

That's the way to fly.
View Quote

I agree, that seems to be the best of all worlds.

It appears many believe P90s are an entirely different (single coil) animal.  I'm wondering about the versatility of a guitar outfitted them.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:33:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It appears many believe P90s are an entirely different (single coil) animal.  I'm wondering about the versatility of a guitar outfitted them.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have split coil humbuckers...  switch them to "single coil" mode if I want to.

That's the way to fly.

IMHO, P90s do one thing, but they do it really, REALLY well.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:04:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

EMGs are a double edged sword. They give high, active output and can push a amp hard, but, they tend to sound sterile to me. Almost EVERY guitar with EMGs tend to sound the same...like EMGs.

Your results may vary...
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:06:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:28:07 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Try out a guitar that has active pickups in it before you spend any money on them, because you'll either love 'em or hate 'em.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:31:00 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

EMGs are a double edged sword. They give high, active output and can push a amp hard, but, they tend to sound sterile to me. Almost EVERY guitar with EMGs tend to sound the same...like EMGs.

Your results may vary...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your results may vary...
That's exactly why I don't like active pickups.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top