Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2017 10:00:15 AM EDT
Not bad when it's cold. Not bad at all.  Kind of curious as to why it didn't have that little pocket rocket thing in the bottle. 
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:08:23 AM EDT
"Bottled GUINNESS Original, or GUINNESS Extra Stout as it was known at the time, continued to be popular in its own way, devotees preferring the lively presence of carbon dioxide bubbles in the beer, which delivered a complex, more challenging stout than that presented in draught form."

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:09:10 AM EDT
I prefer Guinness Draught.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:10:12 AM EDT
I like Guinness I'll have to try that'n.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:12:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/21/2017 10:13:24 AM EDT by Fairplay]
I had one when I was in the BVI a while back. Not bad .
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:12:39 AM EDT
The little rocket thing only goes into the draught cans and bottles.

The extra stout is ok. I prefer the draught(pronounced "draft").
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:13:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/21/2017 10:14:19 AM EDT by autococker07]
Any Genius is good Genius....  but i too prefer draught, or fresh of course.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:14:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/21/2017 10:16:29 AM EDT by HappyCamel]
Switched from using a widget to simply nitrogenating it in the bottle for regular draught (in bottles not cans), but what you have is the carbonated EXTRA stout. In the US market for Draught, only the can has a widget (ball shaped). Some foreign markets have some cool gimmick, such a a glass and device that use ultrasound to surge it, but that one never came here.

Guinness (all varieties) is the same in the US as it is in Ireland. No they don't get a better or special recipe. The same kegs that roll out of St James Gate that go to local Irish pubs go to container ships and get imported here.

Only Guinness Blonde is made in the US.

Some confusion of "better" or different Guinness may come from people having Foreign Extra Stout or Extra Stout labeled as plain Guinness in other countries. Hot countries historically have consumed FES (Africa), whereas countries like England enjoy extra stout.

Check out Antwerpen Stout, and the new Irish Wheat (only out a couple months).
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:14:33 AM EDT
I like to eat the foam
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:17:08 AM EDT
The only Guinness that doesn't taste like watered down burnt toast is Foreign Extra.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:22:55 AM EDT
A friend once said of Guinness:

Its like licking warm chocolate off the most incredible tits you'll ever see.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:24:55 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:25:13 AM EDT
Give this a try

Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:25:46 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Milk stout
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:30:30 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Power2thePeople:
The only Guinness that doesn't taste like watered down burnt toast is Foreign Extra.
View Quote
@Power2thePeople You have good taste. If you like that check out Antwerpen Stout. FES is 7.5, Antwerpen is 8. Made if for Belgium in 1944 and just brought it to the US last year. A touch sweeter for the Belgian palate. Some dried fruit notes. Very good like FES, and has been very very well received here.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:44:48 AM EDT
Originally Posted By HappyCamel:
Switched from using a widget to simply nitrogenating it in the bottle for regular draught (in bottles not cans), but what you have is the carbonated EXTRA stout. In the US market for Draught, only the can has a widget (ball shaped). Some foreign markets have some cool gimmick, such a a glass and device that use ultrasound to surge it, but that one never came here.

Guinness (all varieties) is the same in the US as it is in Ireland. No they don't get a better or special recipe. The same kegs that roll out of St James Gate that go to local Irish pubs go to container ships and get imported here.

Some confusion of "better" or different Guinness may come from people having Foreign Extra Stout or Extra Stout labeled as plain Guinness in other countries. Hot countries historically have consumed FES (Africa), whereas countries like England enjoy extra stout.

View Quote
I spent a week in Ireland drinking Guiness, then had one in a bar when I got home and hey didn't taste the same at all.  The one I had at home was definitely more watery and less thick as the ones were in Ireland.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:47:11 AM EDT
Originally Posted By VACaver:
I spent a week in Ireland drinking Guiness, then had one in a bar when I got home and hey didn't taste the same at all.  The one I had at home was definitely more watery and less thick as the ones were in Ireland.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

High volume bar or hole in the wall? Many factors. Freshness. Also 99% of bartenders don't know how to do the proper 6 step pour because it takes too long 119.5 second settle step. Also many bars don't have the gas set right because they want a pour that settles quicker so they turn the gas down.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:48:08 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:49:33 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ilikeporkchops:
Milk stout
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ilikeporkchops:
Milk stout
Yeti.....  
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 11:03:15 AM EDT
High volume bar or hole in the wall? Many factors. Freshness. Also 99% of bartenders don't know how to do the proper 6 step pour because it takes too long 119.5 second settle step. Also many bars don't have the gas set right because they want a pour that settles quicker so they turn the gas down.
View All Quotes

It was a high-volume bar (British Beer Company) in Framingham, Mass, known for their world-wide selection of beers.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 11:06:47 AM EDT
It was a high-volume bar (British Beer Company) in Framingham, Mass, known for their world-wide selection of beers.
View All Quotes

Are you going to be in the NE anytime soon? Guinness did it's first collaboration in it's history with Two Roads of CT. It's a Belgian farmhouse style, using local NE botanicals in the Two Roads version and local Irish botanicals in the Irish version. Each is only available at the respective brewery, though you can walk out with a growler. Limited run.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 11:08:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/21/2017 11:09:01 AM EDT by tsg68]
Back in the eighties one of my hangouts in Baltimore had true pints of Guiness on tap for $2. Doesn't taste as good since those days.  My Mom used to make black and tans back then too...
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 11:12:12 AM EDT

View Quote
Had the same thing happen with me. Bars around me usually have Guinness Draught.
The Guninness Extra Stout taste like what I had in Ireland.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 11:25:55 AM EDT
My very first beer ever was a pint of Guinness from a little pub in East Anglia. The Extra Stout is the only thing here that is close to that first beer.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 11:26:39 AM EDT
Guinness is one of God's five signs He truly loves us.

It is extremely pour dependent and the entire process from clean, dry glass to the formation of the convex meniscus of foam after settling must be strictly adhered to.

In my part of the state, I'm lucky to have several places that make a proper pour.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 11:39:02 AM EDT
Smithwicks >> Guinness.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:57:25 PM EDT
@Power2thePeople You have good taste. If you like that check out Antwerpen Stout. FES is 7.5, Antwerpen is 8. Made if for Belgium in 1944 and just brought it to the US last year. A touch sweeter for the Belgian palate. Some dried fruit notes. Very good like FES, and has been very very well received here.
View Quote
Wow I've never heard of that one. That looks excellent! I'll have to try and locate some in my area. Thanks for the suggestion
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 2:26:03 PM EDT
mackeson's triple stout
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 2:30:53 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Power2thePeople:
View Quote
Easy to make at home too.  Good stuff.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 2:34:30 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 2:36:15 PM EDT
That stuff is awesome. Drank it all the time when I lived in Cleveland.
Top Top