Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/18/2008 1:13:08 PM EDT
Why still so much confusion about the 2nd? Every state basically spells it out for them but you never hear much about it.

http://peoplespassions.org/peoplesvoice/essays/Arms/State_constitutions.htm

Kansas: The people have the right to bear arms for their defense and security; but standing armies, in time of peace, are dangerous to liberty, and shall not be tolerated, and the military shall be in strict subordination to the civil power. (Bill of Rights, § 4)
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 1:20:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Seems like just worthless words at this point in history. Isn't Kansas one of the non-CCW friendly states?
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 1:22:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Wait, are we saying that the fed will respect state's right's?

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 1:23:43 PM EDT
[#3]
CA has no RKBA statue in the state Constitution.

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 1:23:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Seems like just worthless words at this point in history. Isn't Kansas one of the non-CCW friendly states?

If by non-CCW friendly you mean "shall issue", then yes.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 1:24:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Nothing listed under Maryland.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 1:25:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Nevada Constitution:
1. Every citizen has the right to keep and bear arms for security and defense, for lawful hunting and recreational use and for other lawful purposes.

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 1:27:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

True - but they don't honor a CCW unless the person resides in the state that issues it.  In MO (and I assume many other places) people were getting UT and FL permits before MO had their permit, as well as after we started ours, instead of the MO permit.  If you went packing into KS as a MO resident and had a FL permit - bad news.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 1:27:16 PM EDT
[#8]
New Hampshire: All persons have the right to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves, their families, their property and the state. (Part I, Art. 2a) No person, who is conscientiously scrupulous about the lawfulness of bearing arms, shall be compelled thereto. (Part I, Art. 13)

Everyone gets to be armed who wants to be … if you don't like it, nobody is going to force it on you.

Article 10 is also pretty cool … one of only a few states that expressly protect the right of Revolution.

Government being instituted for the common benefit, protection, and security, of the whole community, and not for the private interest or emolument of any one man, family, or class of men; therefore, whenever the ends of government are perverted, and public liberty manifestly endangered, and all other means of redress are ineffectual, the people may, and of right ought to reform the old, or establish a new government. The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 1:32:08 PM EDT
[#9]
TX FTW

Texas: Every citizen shall have the right to keep and bear arms in lawful defense of himself or the State; but the Legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms, with a view to prevent crime. (Art. I, § 23 ) Note: The Texas Declaration of Independence stated that "[The Mexican government] has demanded us to deliver up our arms, which are essential to our defense –– the rightful property of freemen –– and formidable only to tyrannical governments."
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 1:36:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe I was thinkin' Nebraska or something. Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa... s'all the same to me –– endless miles of corn fields broken only by flat spots where tornado's have rolled through.  

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 1:50:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Why still so much confusion about the 2nd? Every state basically spells it out for them but you never hear much about it.

Kansas: The people have the right to bear arms for their defense and security; but standing armies, in time of peace, are dangerous to liberty, and shall not be tolerated, and the military shall be in strict subordination to the civil power. (Bill of Rights, § 4)

They ignore the "standing army" part, why not the gun rights part?

You are under the mistaken belief that we are a nation of laws.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 1:51:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Pennsylvania: The right of the citizens to bear arms in defence of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 1:53:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Washington State:

SECTION 24 RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS. The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain or employ an armed body of men.

Yet we can't have NFA weapons.  I'd say that is impairing my right to bear arms in defense of myself.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 1:54:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe I was thinkin' Nebraska or something. Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa... s'all the same to me –– endless miles of corn fields broken only by flat spots where tornado's have rolled through.  

And you're still off by a mile or three, because all three of those states have CCW.

Wisconsin and Illinois are the only two left that don't have some form.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 1:54:47 PM EDT
[#15]
IL's RKBA shall not be infringed.

Unless the police feel like infringing on it. Then it's ok
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 1:59:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Because people don't care about the US Constitution or state Constitutions.  People think they are to be changed on a whim.

For example, I was listening to the radio this morning regarding the Obama birth certificate thing.  The caller said it does not matter if Obama is a citizen or not.  He said even if he is not he should still be president.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 2:05:36 PM EDT
[#17]
From the hot-linked article:

California, Iowa, Maryland, Minnesota, New Jersey, and New York do not have "right to keep and bear arms" amendments in their state constitutions.

If you don't have the right to keep and bear arms, you are not free.

God Bless Texas!
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 2:07:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Virginia: That a well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural and safe defense of a free state, therefore, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; that standing armies, in time of peace, should be avoided as dangerous to liberty; and that in all cases the military should be under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power.

I like it.

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 2:07:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Oklahoma: The right of a citizen to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person or property, or in aid of the civil power, when thereunto legally summoned, shall never be prohibited; but nothing herein contained shall prevent the Legislature from regulating the carrying of weapons. (Art. II, § 26)

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 2:19:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Utah:  Article I, Section 6.    [Right to bear arms.]
    The individual right of the people to keep and bear arms for security and defense of self, family, others, property, or the state, as well as for other lawful purposes shall not be infringed; but nothing herein shall prevent the Legislature from defining the lawful use of arms.

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 2:20:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Arizona

Section 26.  The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in
     defense of himself or the state shall not be impaired, but nothing in this
     section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to
     organize, maintain, or employ an armed body of men.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 2:26:08 PM EDT
[#22]
"The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned."

- Pennsylvania Constitution, Article 1, Section 21
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 2:41:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haven't been here much have ya?................

Direct from the KS AG web site: http://www.ksag.org/files/shared/conceal.carry.reciprocity.pdf

Recognized Out-of-State Concealed Carry Handgun Licenses
An out-of-state concealed carry licensee from a state recognized by the state of Kansas must: 1) be a
resident of the state where the license was issued; 2) be able to show proof of licensure and residency from
the state of issuance; and 3) abide by Kansas concealed carry laws while traveling, visiting or working in
this state.
The state of Kansas recognizes the following out-of-state concealed carry licenses:
Alaska Arizona Arkansas Colorado
Florida Hawaii Kentucky Louisiana
Michigan Minnesota Missouri Nebraska
Nevada New Jersey New Mexico North Carolina
Ohio Oklahoma South Carolina Tennessee
Texas West Virginia
States That Recognize Kansas Concealed Carry Handgun Licenses
The following states have acknowledged that they do recognize the Kansas concealed carry license. While
the Attorney General will attempt to keep this list current, Kansas concealed carry licensees are cautioned
to check with the licensing authority in each state before traveling. Licensees are responsible for knowing
and complying with the laws regulating concealed carry in these states.
Alaska Arizona Arkansas Colorado
Florida Idaho Indiana Kentucky
Louisiana Michigan Minnesota Missouri
Montana Nevada North Carolina Oklahoma
South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas
Utah Vermont
States That Do Not Recognize Kansas Concealed Carry Handgun Licenses
Alabama California Connecticut Delaware
Georgia Hawaii Iowa Maine
Maryland Massachusetts Mississippi North Dakota
Nebraska New Jersey New York Oregon
Pennsylvania Rhode Island Washington Wyoming

WileE

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 5:57:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well it's not so much the laws I was thinking about but the hazy interpretation of the 2nd amendment by the left. The state constitutions rehash and expand on the 2nd in a very cspecific manor, which should leave any intelligent person with a good and clear understanding of what the forefathers were really talking about.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 6:00:22 PM EDT
[#25]
i know wisconsin has one, cant find it though
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 6:02:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Indiana:  The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State.

Here is a good site for this:  

http://www.law.ucla.edu/volokh/beararms/statecon.htm
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 6:04:04 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

TX FTW

Texas: Every citizen shall have the right to keep and bear arms in lawful defense of himself or the State; but the Legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms, with a view to prevent crime. (Art. I, § 23 ) Note: The Texas Declaration of Independence stated that "[The Mexican government] has demanded us to deliver up our arms, which are essential to our defense –– the rightful property of freemen –– and formidable only to tyrannical governments."
FAIL

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:41:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well it's not so much the laws I was thinking about but the hazy interpretation of the 2nd amendment by the left. The state constitutions rehash and expand on the 2nd in a very cspecific manor, which should leave any intelligent person with a good and clear understanding of what the forefathers were really talking about.

Don't get me wrong.  We are on the same page on the RKBA being absolute.  The problem is, that neither of the two major political parties care one whit about what federal or state constitutions say.  They pass what they want, the people be damned.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top