Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/29/2005 11:27:46 AM EDT
Went out today for a little over an hour. Thought about going for my bag limit but why be greedy

Anyhow:

3 flushes+4shells = 3 in the bag

Dog is a 7year old English Setter
Gun is a 20ga Benelli M1 S90 with Advantage camo finish

Got 2 coming out of trees.
Second came out of a tree 20m away hauling ass at a 60deg angle away from me thru thick foliage. Followed the shadow and dropped it at about 45m.

I love grouse hunting and so does my dog. Keeps my woodcraft and shooting skills up also.Unfortunately numbers are down as they are at the bottom of their cycle but I had a good dog and, today, a little luck.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:30:03 AM EDT
Excellent work.

Beautiful setter. We have an English setter too, but they aren't many birds left.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:49:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/29/2005 11:53:40 AM EDT by drjarhead]

Originally Posted By pyro6988:
Excellent work.

Beautiful setter. We have an English setter too, but they aren't many birds left.

Thanks.
Love Setters. Really smart, great personalities and awesome hunting dogs. She is the easiest dog I ever trained. A lot of things I only had to teach her once. Spending a lot of time with her really helped though.

Yeah, our bird pop is down quite a bit. 7 years ago when they were at their peak here I got almost 50. Only 3 in the past week and a half until today.

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:26:35 PM EDT
Nice looking pooch you got there!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:11:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By xinflt:
Nice looking pooch you got there!

Thanks. She is awesome. Right now she won't leave me alone, wants to go out again. Getting 3 birds today really has her worked up.

Started her on birds when she was only 4 months old and she took right to it. Opening day that year was the most incredible hunting day I have ever seen. There were grouse flying every few minutes for awhile. I think my brother and I must have got 60 flushes that day. Never seen anything like it before or after. Sure not like that now but it was good training for her.
She learned hand signals right off and that has sure made grouse hunting easier.

No question she increased my bird tally considerably and I have to give her plenty of credit for most of the birds I have gotten and she sure gave me the chance to become a much better shot.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:45:58 PM EDT
Better than we did. saw 3 and shot 1. And this was our (former) hot spot for grouse.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:56:29 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 2:05:10 PM EDT
Damn fine shooting.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 2:08:36 PM EDT
Now. Shove some potatoes, carrots and onions up the birds ass and lets put em in the oven. Times a wasting! Got two myself in the Cascades a week back.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 2:15:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By C-4:
Damn fine shooting.

Thanks.
2 years ago I had a stretch this time of year where I bagged 11 birds with 12 shells, one took 2 shots. Couldn't believe it myself. They just kept falling. Got 2 triples and two doubles in that streak.

You hunt C-4?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 2:19:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By OrARGB:
Now. Shove some potatoes, carrots and onions up the birds ass and lets put em in the oven. Times a wasting! Got two myself in the Cascades a week back.

You do that before or after you clean 'em?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 2:24:26 PM EDT
Nice job. Four shots and three birds is an incredible percentage considering how difficult the ruffed grouse is to hit in its native habitat- especially if the leaves are still up, like they are now. Our grouse numbers are at the bottom of their ten year cycle, but I still manage to get out. It's my favorite species of game to hunt.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 2:26:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Rocky9_5:
Better than we did. saw 3 and shot 1. And this was our (former) hot spot for grouse.

I hear ya. Hopefully the population will come back up soon.
This year I am finding them in really odd places. Where I got them today is a spot where I haven't taken a bird in 3 years. Just figured it would be a nice place for a walk today and ended up with 3.

FWIW I am finding them in older growth forest on higher ground. Strange. We'll see if it changes when the leaves come down but it seems really unusual.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 2:28:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Aimless:
Looks like fun I've never really hunted over a real good dog

Anytime.

Oh wait, you're a law-yer, aren't you?

Ah what the Hell, anytime.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:02:44 PM EDT
Damn. That really is some good shooting! I can't hit those things to save my life. Ammo companies send me thank you cards after every season

Our grouse population is pretty decent this year, although we lost some broods in the cold spring rains. That means the large proportion of birds this year were educated last year. Its going to be tough gunning this year!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:23:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By duckdawg:
Damn. That really is some good shooting! I can't hit those things to save my life. Ammo companies send me thank you cards after every season

Well, I've been hunting them since I was 6 and I am 46 now. It took a long time for me to knock them down reliably. Experience on knowing the birds and their habitat helps. Having a good dog has made the most difference to be honest, though I would like to be able to claim all the credit. Beyond that she has made it possible for me to get enough shooting to really get decent at it. She is absolutely awesome and a great friend. She is also attached to my hip most days.

It also makes a difference to shoot some clays before the season. Didn't do that this year and it has shown as I have missed a few I wouldn't typically prior to today.

Our grouse population is pretty decent this year, although we lost some broods in the cold spring rains. That means the large proportion of birds this year were educated last year. Its going to be tough gunning this year!

We had a perfect spring and early summer for them but the numbers are still down a little I think. We'll see how things go after the leaves are down.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:27:29 PM EDT
I only went out grouse hunting once this year. We did pretty well. My dogs are used to upland game though so its always a crack up to see the "OH SH^T" look on their face when it dawns on them the scent is up in a tree.

Pheasants open in 3 weeks. I can't wait. Patty
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:46:52 PM EDT
Beautiful dog.

Some of my most precious memories are of grouse/pheasant hunting in days gone by. The smell of the northern Michigan woods, especially after a rain. The heavy foliage. Almost fudging my drawers at that first flush opening day. Barely seeing some of the grouse as they bust up and out. The 20 ga. or 28 ga. guns I treasured so much then.

They say every birdhunter is entitled to one good dog. I had mine many moons ago. I still miss her.

After moving to the "Thumb" in Michigan, the former "Mecca" of pheasant hunting in this state, I experienced pheasant hunting few have seen since the 40s and 50s.

A chance to take "that one dog" to South Dakota, and experience that magic again.

Guess I've been blessed, and I am thankful for those times (some of the finest moments of my life) and that dog.

A lot of memories and a few pictures.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:02:09 PM EDT

Originally Posted By pattymcn:
I only went out grouse hunting once this year. We did pretty well. My dogs are used to upland game though so its always a crack up to see the "OH SH^T" look on their face when it dawns on them the scent is up in a tree.

2nd year I had Brit I had stopped on a firelane to talk to some other hunters I ran into. After a brief time I notice there is Brit, one paw on a tree trunk, nose up the tree, tail out...funny as Hell. Sure enough grouse comes out of the very top of that pine. Would've had that one too except for the guys in the way.

I remember you talking about your dogs. What have you got?

Pheasants open in 3 weeks. I can't wait. Patty

My Uncle runs trials all the time and has trophies all over his basement, raises pheasants. When I was a kid there were pheasant all over the damn place. pretty rare here now but they have introduced another species. Not really into it as where I live is very heavily forested and the only pheasant I see have escaped from a gamefarm. Always like the woods better anyhow and grew up hunting ruffed grouse mostly but I wouldn't mind bagging a few pheasant.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:04:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/29/2005 4:09:22 PM EDT by Mauser101]
I'm flying up to WI to do some grouse hunting in about 3 weeks for my first time. My father grew up in the Madison area is driving out soon to spend the whole of Oct out there. His buddy owns a hog farm (Keune Brats....mmmmm ) and had a nice cabin out on one of those innumerable lakes ya'll have.

Should be a good time. All the hunting I've gotten in is shooting stupid pidgeons (which you have to kick to get airborne ) while training his Setter.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:06:57 PM EDT
Nice shootin' there.

I'm jealous. I love grouse but the population here in AZ is very small and its been difficult to locate where they are.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:08:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 1911lover:
Beautiful dog.

Some of my most precious memories are of grouse/pheasant hunting in days gone by. The smell of the northern Michigan woods, especially after a rain. The heavy foliage. Almost fudging my drawers at that first flush opening day. Barely seeing some of the grouse as they bust up and out. The 20 ga. or 28 ga. guns I treasured so much then.

They say every birdhunter is entitled to one good dog. I had mine many moons ago. I still miss her.

After moving to the "Thumb" in Michigan, the former "Mecca" of pheasant hunting in this state, I experienced pheasant hunting few have seen since the 40s and 50s.

A chance to take "that one dog" to South Dakota, and experience that magic again.

Guess I've been blessed, and I am thankful for those times (some of the finest moments of my life) and that dog.

A lot of memories and a few pictures.

Great post. We are both blessed.
Still have my Dad's Berretta Golden Snipe 20ga and his Beretta single shot 20ga. I am expecting some company next week, maybe I'll carry the single as I will be setting him up for most of the shots. My Dad could really knock 'em down with that thing.

I wish I knew a few ARFCOMers from the UP but I don't seem to find any here.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:15:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/29/2005 4:39:57 PM EDT by drjarhead]

Originally Posted By Mauser101:
I'm flying up to WI to do some grouse hunting in about 3 weeks for my first time. My father grew up in the Madison area is driving out soon to spend the whole of Oct out there. His buddy owns a hog farm (Keune Brats....mmmmm ) and had a nice cabin out on one of those innumerable lakes ya'll have.

Should be a good time. All the hunting I've gotten in is shooting stupid pidgeons (which you have to kick to get airborne ) while training his Setter.

Boy are you in for an experience.
Stay ready, as soon as you let your guard down they will flush and be gone before you can get your gun up.
And they make a helluva lot of noise when they flush which really gives you an adrenalin rush. Doesn't make it any easier to hit them.

If you can get out and shoot some clays beforehand you will be much better off. Enjoy, there is nothing else quite like it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:31:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/29/2005 4:32:17 PM EDT by 1911lover]

Boy are you in for an experience.
Stay ready, as soon as you let your guard down they will flush and be gone before you can get your guard up.
And they make a helluva lot of noise when the flush which really gives you an adrenalin rush. Doesn't make it any easier to hit them.

If you can get out and shoot some clays beforehand you will be much better off. Enjoy, there is nothing else quite like it.

Right on.

Enjoy/savor those times with your dog and those hunts, as I know you will.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh...the "summer side of life" as Lightfoot sang.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 2:30:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By drjarhead:

I also used to live in the "thumb", I can't count the number of times I would limit out within minutes of leaving the car. Or....................... hunt all day and not see a thing.

I now live in the UP, Iron Mountain.

I have met a few ARFCOMers, introduced by my son in VA. I have never met anyone local that I didn't know before the internet. Let's see what we can do about this.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:43:45 PM EDT
Sounds like you're doing okay. I'm seeing birds here and there but havn't got one yet. I uh, missed 2 or 3 of them somehow. I've been hunting MN this year, only walked one trail in WI so far.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:48:07 PM EDT
Sweet, doc. I moved away from a grouse rich locale over 15 years ago. Miss it like hell. Your pics brought back some fond memories. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:51:32 PM EDT

Love Setters. Really smart, great personalities and awesome hunting dogs. She is the easiest dog I ever trained. A lot of things I only had to teach her once. Spending a lot of time with her really helped though.

My dad always had an english setter. We had one pretty much my entire life until recently. The last one died and mom is living alone and didn't want a new one, and I'm in an apartment and can't have dogs.

Your's is a great looking dog ... makes me miss mine. Had to put her down from failed kidneys, she was 14.

First thing I'm doing when I buy my first house is going out and getting an english setter.

(sorry for the hijack)
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:54:26 PM EDT
A beautiful dog. Great shooting.

There is nothing like upland bird shooting.

(It's what I plan to do in Heaven.)

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:24:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By inferno715:
Sounds like you're doing okay. I'm seeing birds here and there but havn't got one yet. I uh, missed 2 or 3 of them somehow. I've been hunting MN this year, only walked one trail in WI so far.

They sure are easy to miss.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:30:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Javelin:
Sweet, doc. I moved away from a grouse rich locale over 15 years ago. Miss it like hell. Your pics brought back some fond memories. Thanks.

I'd sure miss it too. Marines, college, medschool, residency all made it next to impossible to live somewhere like this. It is awesome. I put a lot of effort into living up here and it would be hard to move. Never going to make it in the city again.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:45:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Red_Beard:

My dad always had an english setter. We had one pretty much my entire life until recently. The last one died and mom is living alone and didn't want a new one, and I'm in an apartment and can't have dogs.

Your's is a great looking dog ... makes me miss mine. Had to put her down from failed kidneys, she was 14.
img188.imageshack.us/img188/4681/dog9aw.jpg

First thing I'm doing when I buy my first house is going out and getting an english setter.

(sorry for the hijack)

No problem. Great post, brought a tear to my eye. I will have a VERY hard time when she passes on. Hopefully it will be a long time yet but dogs don't live forever.

My grandfather and Uncle always had 3-4 dogs for hunting and trials. Setters and Pointers. They ahd one named Gypsy that was just incredible. Smart, great personality, fantastic hunter. When I moved up here and got a house finally I decided I had to have a Setter. I couldn't even describe how well that has worked out.

Have you thought about a cat for your mom. I was never real big on cats but thanks to a screw up by my daughter we ended up with Boo and she has been just great. Lower maintenance than a dog and you can find a good one at the shelter. Not like dogs. Might be the best thing you could do for her.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:47:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Old_Painless:
A beautiful dog. Great shooting.

There is nothing like upland bird shooting.

(It's what I plan to do in Heaven.)

Same here. My dog better be there.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:51:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By fredshort:

I also used to live in the "thumb", I can't count the number of times I would limit out within minutes of leaving the car. Or....................... hunt all day and not see a thing.

I now live in the UP, Iron Mountain.

I have met a few ARFCOMers, introduced by my son in VA. I have never met anyone local that I didn't know before the internet. Let's see what we can do about this.

I am an hour due west of you.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:58:52 PM EDT

Have you thought about a cat for your mom. I was never real big on cats but thanks to a screw up by my daughter we ended up with Boo and she has been just great. Lower maintenance than a dog and you can find a good one at the shelter. Not like dogs. Might be the best thing you could do for her.

She's got a cat, and about a year ago she picked out a little lapdog (I think it was a pug and lassa mix) thinking it would be less work than another setter because of the size.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:05:11 PM EDT
tag
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:25:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Red_Beard:

She's got a cat, and about a year ago she picked out a little lapdog (I think it was a pug and lassa mix) thinking it would be less work than another setter because of the size.

That's good. Having a pet can mean a lot. I sure love animals. Spend as much time as I can around them all, pets and wild. I have been amazed by some of the things I have seen them do.
Top Top