Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/13/2005 2:45:53 PM EDT
Link

By Susan Heavey

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A U.S. consumer group on Wednesday called for cigarette-style warnings on soft drinks to alert consumers that too much of the sugary beverages can make people fat and cause other health problems.

People who overindulge in soft drinks are also more likely to develop diabetes and have decaying teeth, the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) said in a petition to the Food and Drug Administration.

The warnings are especially needed to counter the growing number of young people who drink soda, said the center.

"Soda pop used to be an occasional treat. Now it's an everyday beverage," CSPI executive director Michael Jacobson said, adding that it is all calories and no nutrients.

The latest government data from 2002 shows teenage boys drink an average of two 12-ounce cans of soda a day compared to about 1.33 cans for teenage girls, Jacobson said.

Food and beverage industry groups rejected the call for warnings, saying obesity has complex causes and packages already list calories and ingredients.

"Individuals, not the government, are in the best position to make the food and beverage choices that are right for them," said Susan Neeley, head of the American Beverage Association (ABA).

Others, including the industry-funded Center for Consumer Freedom, said regulating sodas would limit consumer choice.

Some firms have reintroduced smaller packages, but CSPI said cheap prices and multiple-serving bottles attract consumers.

Government warnings are needed to "push the public to a healthier diet as aggressively as the soft drink industry, the fast food industry and others push people in the other direction," Jacobson said.

Coca-Cola Co. and Cadbury Schweppes Plc did not return calls for comment. PepsiCo Inc. referred calls to the ABA.

FDA officials could not be reached for comment.

Link Posted: 7/13/2005 2:47:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Morons.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 2:48:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I hope Coke and Pepsi get their lawyers to crap all over these pussies.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:09:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, I've been poking around

Okay, while I think anyone who does NOT "know" or realize that sodas can contribute to a potential weight problem, is a freakin' MORON, and THAT label is, IMO a waste - HOWEVER that (caffeinated)soda interferes w/the obsorption of clacium, and may therefore contribute to osteoporosis - that I wouldn't object to - first I saw anything along those lines, occurred within the last year. Of course, then so shoula ALL products containibng caffeine.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:21:50 PM EDT
[#4]
anyone who drinks that crap all day long is a moron.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:23:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't care what they do.  But I want warnings on almost all fast food packages, tv dinners with snacks in them, everything in the candy isle of the grocery store, on the cakes, cookies, and you should probably put them on the sugar bags and such to, since humans are apparently now to stupid to know what they should and should not put into they're mouths
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:26:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

alot of people do it. i deliver beer and usually hit up 711's early in the mornings before 7am and see alot of people buying the super big gulps this early in the morning. i think they drink the stuff all day long, probably dont even drink water at all.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:13:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

alot of people do it. i deliver beer and usually hit up 711's early in the mornings before 7am and see alot of people buying the super big gulps this early in the morning. i think they drink the stuff all day long, probably dont even drink water at all.

You're both correct (and probably correct) in that order. I RARELY drink water that is not carbonated, but just PLAIN water (with bubbles) I PREFER over coke... (little bit of lime) but I DO like my Coke, I've been on caffeine free for... probably 7 years now though. Only occasionally do it with caffeine (usually restraunts)

I mean SURE I know it's not GOOD for a person, and have ALWAYS known that.... but maybe 1 or 2 a day - I didn't think it was THAT big of a deal - but not that long ago I got a -1 on my bone density test. I THINK it has more to do with my being bedridden for the better part of a year (2000-2001) and I've been deficient of calcium for a while too... I THINK if I resolve those 2 factors sufficiently, I'll "bounce back". Just bugs me that the caffeine could have contributed before I stopped it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top