Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:09:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

I went ahead and disabled all the group icons to further protect folks. At this time it seems a silly risk to have anything that can further identify you.

Feel free to discuss, complain, etc. Nothing has been wiped, they simply are not displaying.
View Quote

I would simply ask that you just please make sure that if something says it is DELETED to us, that it is in fact deleted.   Also that you don't have unhashed credit cards (or billing addresses for them) stored in the clear or with keys stored on the same server/instance.  

No one I know of has done anything wrong on this site, but if I sold a Super Nintendo, or used pistol grip, or 22 conversion kit on the EE  8 years ago and IM'd the buyer with my address for delivery of their money order, in the event that AWS "accidentally" lets the whole backend of the site get scraped, I would not want my personal identifying information blasted all over the god damned lefty internet.    Just my two cents.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:11:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:12:05 PM EDT
[#3]
"Which such baubles men are led."  - Napoleon
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:13:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

@goatboy  good thought, would disabling location be of any value? Just show USA? or Liberia or somewhere?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I went ahead and disabled all the group icons to further protect folks. At this time it seems a silly risk to have anything that can further identify you.

Feel free to discuss, complain, etc. Nothing has been wiped, they simply are not displaying.

@goatboy  good thought, would disabling location be of any value? Just show USA? or Liberia or somewhere?

@Aspida

You can do that on your own in profile settings.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:16:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:28:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I think this is a good idea.  Yet again, good job and good decision, GB.  I'd imagine that at some point, whether those icons show or not may be a setting that is determined by the individual user in the control panel.

Pretty disconcerting that all the 'tinfoil hat' type stuff that a lot of us rolled our eyes about years ago, now not only is plausible, but likely.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:30:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Good idea.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:31:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
DK-Prof is about to Rage Quit ARFCOM
View Quote

Nah.

He might be able to file for disability though.

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:32:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:34:05 PM EDT
[#10]
@goatboy now we need 2 factor authentication and an onion server, please.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:34:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Damn.

Probably a good idea though.

Honestly, it might be a good idea to nuke threads after a period of time, other than the really informative useful ones.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:36:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice, thanks
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:37:21 PM EDT
[#13]

I still have my 15, going on 20, Membership Badge.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:39:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:42:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Again, thank you for the work you put into this and very much appreciate the concern for privacy.

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:44:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Might be a good idea to go ahead and delete that file now too.

I don't think there is any obligation to retain that stuff but if you get subpoenaed or some "free speech activist" manages to get behind the wire and scrape all that info, it is too late.

The value in marketing data that stuff represents to you or the Brownells mothership isn't worth the risk at this point IMO.

Only reason I am still here is with 60k posts, that ship has sailed. I wouldn't join any firearms related website right now
View Quote

you guys pay with your real info?

there are masking services that won't keep you safe from cops/feds but will protect against some rogue leftie going after gun owners
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:47:22 PM EDT
[#17]
We trust you
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:47:24 PM EDT
[#18]
@goatboy

On a slightly different but related topic, regarding the plan for a name change tool... is it possible to obfuscate usernames in the archives, and allow users to use a different name going forward?

That is, if I posted a bunch of stuff in the past that could be datamined for identifying information, it doesn't do me a lot of good to use a new screenname now, since it could still be tied to me. A lot of people might want to separate themselves from things they wrote in the past, and change their posting habits going forward.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:48:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
@goatboy

On a slightly different but related topic, regarding the plan for a name change tool... is it possible to obfuscate usernames in the archives, and allow users to use a different name going forward?

That is, if I posted a bunch of stuff in the past that could be datamined for identifying information, it doesn't do me a lot of good to use a new screenname now, since it could still be tied to me. A lot of people might want to separate themselves from things they wrote in the past, and change their posting habits going forward.
View Quote

I was wondering if tying archive posts to a username is really needed at all - I guess it could be but we could keep content but still have some privacy

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 4:10:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

dk prof is going to be mad!
View Quote

lol...
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 4:10:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Good idea
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 4:11:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

dk prof is going to be mad!

Something seems off about that image...
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 4:14:14 PM EDT
[#23]
This:

Quoted:

I would simply ask that you just please make sure that if something says it is DELETED to us, that it is in fact deleted.   Also that you don't have unhashed credit cards (or billing addresses for them) stored in the clear or with keys stored on the same server/instance.  

No one I know of has done anything wrong on this site, but if I sold a Super Nintendo, or used pistol grip, or 22 conversion kit on the EE  8 years ago and IM'd the buyer with my address for delivery of their money order, in the event that AWS "accidentally" lets the whole backend of the site get scraped, I would not want my personal identifying information blasted all over the god damned lefty internet.    Just my two cents.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If not done so already, good idea to clear out all old IMs (both sent and received).

...and this:

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 4:17:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

you guys pay with your real info?

there are masking services that won't keep you safe from cops/feds but will protect against some rogue leftie going after gun owners
View Quote

The cops and feds are the rogue lefties going after gun owners.  

Dems have all but declared open season on us, and all the apparatus of the State will be used to effect it.  See: summer of rioting and burning vs one minor scuffle on the 6th and how Feds have reacted.

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 4:18:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

...and this:

+1
View All Quotes
Quoted:

...and this:

Quoted:

+1

+2
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 4:21:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The cops and feds are the rogue lefties going after gun owners.  

Dems have all but declared open season on us, and all the apparatus of the State will be used to effect it.  See: summer of rioting and burning vs one minor scuffle on the 6th and how Feds have reacted.

View Quote

If they're targeting you - you have other things to worry about than you paid for a membership on a gun board. They already know you own guns. I'm also reasonably sure that given the right court paperwork they can get all your logs here + screen name and every post sent to them. That's podunk cop level shit.

Some shithead script kiddie busting in the back door, taking the records and fucking with people here is where that threat vector lies.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 4:31:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

If they're targeting you - you have other things to worry about than you paid for a membership on a gun board. They already know you own guns. I'm also reasonably sure that given the right court paperwork they can get all your logs here + screen name and every post sent to them. That's podunk cop level shit.

Some shithead script kiddie busting in the back door, taking the records and fucking with people here is where that threat vector lies.
View Quote

Who says they need court paperwork?  The Feds have their tentacles everywhere and have for two decades thanks to the PATRIOT ACT.

And who is to say that information isn't being "leaked"?  You seem to recognize the threat, but only from one direction.  The government will use its powers to terrorize those who oppose them, and that includes unofficially.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 4:35:38 PM EDT
[#28]
It's fine. I kind of questioned their wisdom from the beginning anyway, but recent events have made a stronger point than I ever could have.

We appreciate the efforts you are taking to protect users. Never thought I'd see the day, but here we are.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 4:37:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 4:38:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is the kind of thing I'm much more worried about. It's also much less effort than trying to cross reference someone's entire post history with their pieces of flair.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 4:39:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Reusing the LEO setting where icons are visible only to people with the same icon might be cool.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 4:44:50 PM EDT
[#32]
One click "archive all" and "delete all" buttons on messenger would be nice.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 4:48:56 PM EDT
[#33]
DK is European,  so he is always mad about something.  We just pat him on the head and tell him it will be ok .
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 4:52:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Who says they need court paperwork?  The Feds have their tentacles everywhere and have for two decades thanks to the PATRIOT ACT.

And who is to say that information isn't being "leaked"?  You seem to recognize the threat, but only from one direction.  The government will use its powers to terrorize those who oppose them, and that includes unofficially.
View Quote

while we're getting off topic a bit (my bad)

The feds know you're here

local cops can find out you're here

there's nothing much you're going to do to stop that

what you can stop are the "activists" who think they're doing good deeds for their overlords.

I see all sides of the threat, some of them you're not defeating by removing group icons or using bitcoin (still won't btw) - cut off the levels you can for now.

The point isn't 100% or nothing - it's doing the best we can with what we have
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 4:56:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Probably a good call.  Easy to fix if it turns out to not be.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 4:57:21 PM EDT
[#36]
And just as I was about to break DK's back with my Ham Technician exam scheduled.  

Appreciate the effort J.  Let the Brigade know if there's anything we can do to help.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 4:58:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Because that will protect people's identity on a site where you have to use your real name/billing to get a Team membership.
View Quote

I'm pretty sure that information isn't public facing.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 5:02:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 5:04:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Did staff remove all copies of dd214s that where sent in?
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 5:06:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 5:11:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
@goatboy

View Quote

I like this idea.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 5:30:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Is this equality?
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 5:42:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 5:49:53 PM EDT
[#44]
I have nothing to be ashamed of. Put it back.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 5:50:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

This is persecution!!  

View Quote

Fuck, you look naked.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 5:53:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 5:55:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Good Deal
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 5:58:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:00:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I feel violated.  
View Quote

Now you know how the geese feel!
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:07:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Didn't even notice
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top