Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2012 10:53:23 AM EDT
http://www.freep.com/article/20120328/BUSINESS0102/203280330/Ford-brings-diesel-back-new-Transit-full-size-van?odyssey=tab

The Transit and F150 will be built in the same plant.  The powertrain will be on site and the numbers sold will justify the EPA certifications.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 11:45:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd love to see it happen, but unless they've been working on a way to make their scrapped 4.4L diesel from a few years back up to current emissions standards I don't think it'll happen for the F150. The 6.7 (with SCR and all) shoehorned into the transit should work though.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 11:51:15 AM EDT
[#2]
As I recall 2013 or 2014 EU diesel emissions supercede US standards. That's when you'll start to see all sorts of diesel offerings in lighter duty vehicles.

And is probably the sole reason you're seeing the Transit at all
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 6:58:25 PM EDT
[#3]
As I recall 2013 or 2014 EU diesel emissions supercede US standards. That's when you'll start to see all sorts of diesel offerings in lighter duty vehicles.

Interesting!
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 7:37:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'd love to see it happen, but unless they've been working on a way to make their scrapped 4.4L diesel from a few years back up to current emissions standards I don't think it'll happen for the F150. The 6.7 (with SCR and all) shoehorned into the transit should work though.

Fitment of the 6.7L might be problematic...

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 3:17:05 AM EDT
[#5]
would love this or a ram 1500 with a smaller cummins, but this has been talked about for decades and always seems to get shit canned for some reason or another.

J-
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 4:01:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Nearly every vehicle I've rented in the UK or EU countries in the last 10 years has been a diesel smaller than 3.0 liter.  The most recent was a 1.4L Lancia that got 50 mpg in widely mixed driving.  I knew our emissions standard wouldn't let these small European diesel engines into the country, but the new EU standards may change things.  Of course the unintended consequence would be a huge increase in the demand for diesel fuel which would drive up the price until refineries could adjust and increase supply.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 4:53:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Thought they were building those Transits in Turkey. Looks like they are bringing a heavier version to KC.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 4:58:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
would love this or a ram 1500 with a smaller cummins, but this has been talked about for decades and always seems to get shit canned for some reason or another.

J-

How much are you willing to pay for a 1/2 ton truck?
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 4:59:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thought they were building those Transits in Turkey. Looks like they are bringing a heavier version to KC.

The Transit Connect is built in Turkey.  The vehicle is build on the C platform.  There are 2 plants in the US that have just been tooled on this platform and there is plenty of capacity.  I predict that Ford will build the TC or revive the Ranger on that platform and build it in the US in Louisville or Wayne, MI.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:21:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

J-

And that's what people don't get.

It will raise the price by at least 6k from the regular price.

I don't think they would sell much, but hey.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:47:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

J-

Fleet buyers will like it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 7:06:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

J-

seeing how I spent the extra money for the cummins in my current truck (01 2500 QC 4x4) but no longer need to haul alot, I would spend the money on the smaller truck/diesel engine combo as I still tow heavy occasionally.

J-
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 9:23:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

J-

Most fleets are gasoline.    80% of the fleet F350's in my area have the 5.4L.    Only the biggest F350's with heavy utility bodies that tow often seem to get the diesel.  

From what I've heard, the Transits diesel is only going to have 150 horsepower.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 9:47:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

J-

Most fleets are gasoline.    80% of the fleet F350's in my area have the 5.4L.    Only the biggest F350's with heavy utility bodies that tow often seem to get the diesel.  

Panel trucks and commercial 3/4 and 1-ton+ pickups aren't typically gas powered...

150hp is perfectly fine when you have 350ft/lbs of torque available at 1800rpm.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 6:14:58 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

J-

Panel trucks and commercial 3/4 and 1-ton+ pickups aren't typically gas powered...

150hp is perfectly fine when you have 350ft/lbs of torque available at 1800rpm.

Indeed, I would gladly pay the extra for a Transit Diesel as I would make it up over the life of the vehicle in saved mileage. Especially when you consider they are built on a commercial chassis, they should easily go 300k+.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top