Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2010 7:10:44 AM EDT
This isn't related to a specific project, just some questions I have...

Where two elecrodes are required, should one wire be brought from the panel to the first electrode and looped to the second electrode (without being cut)  Or should two seperate runs be made?

Is there anything saying that the above cannot be taken a step further and be a continuous loop   ( from ground bar in panel to electrode #1 uncut to electrode #2 and back to the ground bar in the panel )   ?     Basically this would be that if the wire was broke in any point, you would still have a connection to both rods.  

Second question ..

In the case of a duplex where it is fed by a single over head to a double meter to two seperate panels,  do they share the same ground electrodes or would four be required?   ETA I believe 250.58 says to use the same electrodes, looking to confirm this.  

This question came up because I am curious about the new bonding terminal that needs to be in place on the GEC for catv,sat,phone providers to connect their grounds too.   In some cases especially with phone, they only put one box on the house with one ground. for both dwellings.    If both units have copper water pipe and share the same water main both units would be bonded together at that point, but what if it is plastic, your neutral and possible a piece of RG6 shield would be the only thing bonding both units.  

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 5:36:47 PM EDT
[#1]
This thread should answer most of your Q's

http://www.electriciantalk.com/f2/grounding-panels-3001/

In regards to intersystem bonding, its intent is to create a "unified bonding system" among the communication groups to place them at the same "zero" potential plane.

Recently, I had an on site discussion w/ my Electrical Inspector, pointing out Verizon's ground rod left 3 foot above grade and Comcast's loose connection to the grounding electrode conductor. Both these companys didnt seem to care about their grounding, yet now the NEC is requiring me to provide a termination point for these jagoffs?   With all the 2008 NEC code changes, I swear it was written by Democrats
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:32:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks...

After a bunch of reading, I think best option is running a GEC from each panel continuous to two electrodes.    

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:50:13 AM EDT
[#3]
The sticking point is usually making the GEC runs continuous or meeting the rules for making a connection (think welding).

You can go from one GE to the other with a single piece of wire, or run two pieces from the panel.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:33:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I've had inspectors require it different ways.
One says continuous GEC from panel to rod 1 then to rod 2 without being cut.
Other says GEC from panel to rod1 and then another GEC from rod1 to rod 2 if it's bonded at both rods have you really lost any resistance?
An accessible mechanical bond is all that is required in my area, but always comes down to local jurisdiction having authority.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top